Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 25 2009, 05:27 PM   #136
Leonardo T. Dragon
Commander

View Leonardo T. Dragon's Twitter Profile
Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

RandyS wrote: View Post
Michael Chris wrote: View Post
How's the video quality? My starbursts are falling apart, but I read on Digital Bits that the quality is actually worse on the new set..
Personally I think it looks pretty good. But I never had either the ADV or Starburst sets, so I can't compare.
I recently sold off my ADV series set to purchase this A&E release and thus far I've noticed no appreciable difference in quality. I'm using a Toshiba HD-DVD player to upscale to 1080p and the picture looks clean and crisp. In fact the space sequences seem to upscale better than those found in my Atlantis Season 5 discs. So far I've watched the first two discs of season 1 (hard to get through compared to the greatness that follows in seasons 2-4) and "Crichton Kicks" and these discs are solid!

I'm just glad to not have Farscape dominating an entire shelf and a half on my DVD rack. Those ADV releases took up a LOT of space.
Old November 25 2009, 10:02 PM   #137
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

I really love the fact that this set is so tight and compact. I left a lot of room for it, but I really didn't need to. Kinds wish the Star Trek sets came this way, or any TV series for that matter. Only thing annoying might be the "big" box that holds all the seasons compactly, but it's a minor issue.

Watched up through Through the Looking Glass last night. There are some very great episodes in the second half of Season 1, and I'm not talking about just the final four. Durka Returns is a nice intro for Chiana, and A Human Reaction might be one of the series finest episodes. Also, Through the Looking Glass as the "one mippippippi" bit which was funny. I'm actually surprised how much I'm liking Season 1, other than disc 2 for some reason.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 12:10 AM   #138
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

My set came from Best Buy, which is the only reason I brought it up. I'm apparently not the only one to have gotten it from them and not gotten the PKW disks. No biggie, I already have the PKW.

RandyS wrote: View Post
IcecreamLtDan wrote: View Post
Just got mine today, haven't watched it so I can't comment on the quality. I did find it interesting that the version I have does not have the Peacekeeper Wars with it like some others have stated. Not that it matters to me, I have it anyway. I am shocked at how small this whole set is. I have the original 2-sided disk season and they take up a whole shelf of my dvd bookcase, this will make a big difference to the amount of room I have there. Which of course is just an excuse to buy more stuff.
The inclusion of the Peacekeeper Wars is a Best Buy exclusive, done no doubt to get the fans who bitched about it not being included to buy it from them.

I also already had the miniseries, and was planning to buy the series from Amazon, but Best Buy's online deal won me over (I saved 90 bucks), and now I have two copies.

Anybody want my extra one?
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 01:01 AM   #139
Pilot Ace
Captain

My set came from Best Buy, which is the only reason I brought it up. I'm apparently not the only one to have gotten it from them and not gotten the PKW disks. No biggie, I already have the PKW.
Could be on only specially marked sets, did yours have a sticker that said it came with the mini-series? I think mine did.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 03:20 AM   #140
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

No, no sticker, I've read elsewhere on the net that it was a hit or miss thing as they only had so many that had the PKW's in it.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 04:44 PM   #141
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
Could be on only specially marked sets, did yours have a sticker that said it came with the mini-series? I think mine did.
Mine did, yeah. It wasn't visible until I unwrapped the Best Buy price sticker, but it was there.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 08:00 PM   #142
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Have one episode to go in the first season. Everyone says that the final four episodes was when the series got really good, yet for some reason I watched Bone to be Wild last night and could name 5 episodes this season which were better than it. Yes it had Scorpius and Browder's wife, but I didn't really like the whole M'Lee storyline (Scorpius though getting rid of Crais was the best, with Aeryn and the Baby being good too). It wasn't a bad episode per say, but probably the weakest of the final four.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 10:56 PM   #143
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Have one episode to go in the first season. Everyone says that the final four episodes was when the series got really good, yet for some reason I watched Bone to be Wild last night and could name 5 episodes this season which were better than it. Yes it had Scorpius and Browder's wife, but I didn't really like the whole M'Lee storyline (Scorpius though getting rid of Crais was the best, with Aeryn and the Baby being good too). It wasn't a bad episode per say, but probably the weakest of the final four.
Yeah, they do that occasionally. It's weird too because I think if they had simply scrapped Born to be Wild and intergrated the arc story into the previous episode, the last quarter of the season would have flowed a lot better. Same thing with Kansas/Terra Firma. Kansas was a fun episode, but it would have been much cooler if they'd simply blasted back to Earth without the time travel. Just MHO though.
Old November 26 2009, 11:01 PM   #144
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I really dug "Bone To Be Wild" at first because its inversion of standard cliches and tropes is completely nuts. The ugly guy isn't the monster, it's the cute girl! But the cute girl actually isn't as ethically repulsive as the ugly guy. Shock, double twist! Also Zhaan is a plant. Plot point!

However when people mean the final stretch of episodes are the best in the first season, this episode is typically the exception because - aside from the B-plot - it really has nothing to do with the main plot and is arguably rather awkwardly inserted into the arc (not the best time to go for a rescue mission, and the ending of the episode with the hungry monster right next to Scorpius is uncereminously ignored.)
Old November 26 2009, 11:06 PM   #145
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kegg wrote: View Post
and the ending of the episode with the hungry monster right next to Scorpius is uncereminously ignored.)
It's mentioned in the next episode. Scorpius asks Braca what happened to the guard assigned to watch her, and Braca says that he has gone missing, implying that he has been eaten. It's one of those throwaway lines that is very easy to miss.
Old November 26 2009, 11:17 PM   #146
superstring01
Commander

I own the mini on DVD (one of the best minis I've ever seen). I want the series on BluRay.

~String
Old November 26 2009, 11:22 PM   #147
Harvey
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
and the ending of the episode with the hungry monster right next to Scorpius is uncereminously ignored.)
It's mentioned in the next episode. Scorpius asks Braca what happened to the guard assigned to watch her, and Braca says that he has gone missing, implying that he has been eaten. It's one of those throwaway lines that is very easy to miss.
And not only that, but M'Lee was supposed to return, at least in unreal form, as part of the band Chrichton encounters in "Won't Get Fooled Again."

As for releasing the series on Blu-Ray, I doubt will see that while A&E has the rights. It's awfully telling that they didn't generate one bit of new material for this release of the series (the only "new" bit being an old television special), and they even failed to port over some of the features from the Starburst sets, too. A high definition version of the series would require a serious financial investment, which A&E hasn't made with this set.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 06:10 AM   #148
D Man
Commodore

I watched the first season about a year ago and started to really like it, but somehow never got around to continuing. I even kind of liked that episode where John gets marooned on the planet for months, I think it's considered pretty terrible? I think I'll be picking this set up as an almost-blind buy, because I'm fairly certain I'll end up loving the show. I assume you guys aren't going to talk me out of it.
Old November 27 2009, 07:16 AM   #149
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Well, I definitely won't talk you out of it.

And if you even enjoyed Jeremiah Crichton you're gonna love the show.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 09:26 AM   #150
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Hmmrph. Just found out the artifacting was because I kept setting the discs down on my friend's bed ... consequently getting them a tad dusty. Cleaned them off and have had no issues since! I guess this set gets a pass on visual quality with that said...