RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,687
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 864
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Web Sites/Design

Web Sites/Design Talk about your websites here!

Old November 6 2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Style Ocampa site gone!

And so the wonderful Style Ocampa site was gone.

This site about the character Kes and her different outfits, a brilliant side full of pictures and information is one of the victims of Yahoo greed.

So are also many other great sites, due to the greed and narrow-minded thinking of those in charge of Yahoo.

They have really suceeded in killing the creativity for many people. But what do they care? The only thing they have in their small brains is money, money, money, money and how to make more money.

Just wanted to tell the world how much I hate those greedy clowns.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 03:08 AM   #2
KesArmy.com
Cadet

Re: Style Ocampa site gone!

Huge bummer for whatever the reason. I used it many time for reference and will miss it greatly. I have many of the original costumes that she wore and have started an archive at Kesarmy.com if anyone is interested.

Sad to see it go.
KesArmy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 03:31 AM   #3
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Sorry about your loss, but...
Old November 7 2009, 05:14 AM   #4
Mallory

IIRC, people were given substantial notice that this action was going to occur. There was plenty of time to back up what was there and rehost the content somewhere else.
Old November 7 2009, 06:23 AM   #5
SeerSGB
Admiral

Mallory wrote: View Post
IIRC, people were given substantial notice that this action was going to occur. There was plenty of time to back up what was there and rehost the content somewhere else.
I know I was bombarded with shutdown notices. About 2 a month since late July.

Last edited by SeerSGB; November 7 2009 at 01:59 PM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Lynx
Rear Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
That was a very rude comment!

Mallory wrote:
You are right. I was told early this spring that Geocities was closing down and spent one week to find a new home for my Kes Website. Still, I do find it a stupid and greedy act from the people in charge of Yahoo, an act which has killed many good websites even if some of them seem to have been abandoned.

Besides that, it isn't that easy to find a good web host today. I was lucky to find the excellent 110MB but there are a lot of other webhosts on which it's impossible to set up more than a four-page site.

KesArmy.com wrote:
Huge bummer for whatever the reason. I used it many time for reference and will miss it greatly. I have many of the original costumes that she wore and have started an archive at Kesarmy.com if anyone is interested.

Sad to see it go.
By coincident, I found out about your site yesterday, only a couple of hours after discovering that Style Ocampa was gone. It's a great site and I will put a link to it on my Kes Website. Keep up the good work!

Old November 7 2009, 05:13 PM   #7
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Lynx wrote: View Post
No offence intended. But your obsession is kinda funny, you must admit. With all respect to their work, it was a site about Kes' outfits. Your frustration, while understandable, sounds a bit over the top for such an event. YMMV, obviously.
Old November 7 2009, 06:24 PM   #8
KesArmy.com
Cadet

So, having interest in one thing is weird but posting on a Star Trek board isn't?

Six of one if you ask me.
KesArmy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Lynx
Rear Admiral

No offence intended. But your obsession is kinda funny, you must admit. With all respect to their work, it was a site about Kes' outfits. Your frustration, while understandable, sounds a bit over the top for such an event. YMMV, obviously.
Honestly, it's not all about the Style Ocampa site. I've been going through a lot of favorite links recently and I feel really sad when I see how many good sites which are gone because of the greed and stupidity by "people in suits". I've actually criticized the decision of the Yahoo bosses before, long before I saw that the Style Ocampa site was gone.

Not to mention that it was a good site.

Old November 8 2009, 02:31 PM   #10
iguana_tonante
Admiral

KesArmy.com wrote: View Post
So, having interest in one thing is weird but posting on a Star Trek board isn't?

Six of one if you ask me.
Everything is weird when seen from an external point of view. N No need to be sour about it. Embrace your weirdness and you will feel better about it. I know I do.
Old November 8 2009, 11:01 PM   #11
SeerSGB
Admiral

Honestly, it's not all about the Style Ocampa site. I've been going through a lot of favorite links recently and I feel really sad when I see how many good sites which are gone because of the greed and stupidity by "people in suits". I've actually criticized the decision of the Yahoo bosses before, long before I saw that the Style Ocampa site was gone.

Not to mention that it was a good site.
to be honest, I'm not surprised they did it, but I'm surprise they finally did it. They've been threatening to kill the free package on Geocities for a couple years or more, I guess this time they finally decided they were in a position to pull the trigger.