IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 5 2007, 05:54 PM   #1
Crewman47
Commodore

Re-releasing the movies to the big screen

Remember back when George Lucas re-released his new ep 4,5 and 6 SW films to the big screen in ,I think, early 2000's or was it 1999 (I forget), well I was just wondering what it would take for Paramount to bring all 10 Trek movies to the cinema for people like myself to watch in all there glory for the first time when they couldn't the first time round due to things like not being around at the time. I realise that there are places (in the US at least) that do do showings on projectors but I was thinking about if it could ever be done by the big film screens.

Any thoughts?
Crewman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: Re-releasing the movies to the big screen

I don't know what it would take, but it'd be neat, I think. I remember when the Star Wars OT was re-released in 1997, and I dragged my mom to the theaters because I'd never seen the movies on the big screen.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Doomsday
Lieutenant Commander

I definitely think it would be great for the younger fans who never had the chance to see them first run on the big screen.

I remember when the aforementioned Star Wars re-release happened, and likewise when Alien was re-released, I took my son to see them.

He had seen them on VHS and DVD many times, but he had missed the experience of Star Wars on the big screen, because he was not yet born when they originally came out. And for me, it was very nostalgic.

So, for the same reason, I think it would be great, and it would milk some more money for Paramount.

I know that TMP is much maligned these days, but I remember opening night in 1979, seeing the Grand Lady on the big screen for the FIRST time EVER, it was awe-inspiring in a way that modern fans, who didn't have to go without for 10 years have a hard time appreciating.

I know that long scene where Scotty gives Kirk a tour of the refit Enterpise seems boring to a lot of people now, especially on a small screen. And I know it wasn't really necessary, plot-wise, and we all knew it at the time.

But that scene was really a gift to the fans more than anything else, to really see her the way she was meant to be seen. And trust me, no one in that theater was bored or restless. A nuke could have gone off in the parking lot and we would have all been sitting there in rapt awe of that scene.

Maybe it would do the franchise some good to re-release them.
Old June 5 2007, 08:33 PM   #4
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I recall attending a re-release back in 1991.

It was the 25th anniversary and TUC was being released.
The local cinema has an airing of all TOS movies in a big marathon session.

It didn't end up as great as I expected.

The prints they used were really really bad.
Grammar school film projector quality.

So that's my story about that.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2007, 08:50 PM   #5
RookieBatman
Commodore

I would love to see the films back in the theaters, especially TMP and TWoK. I am so jealous of all those people who have TWoK showing in their area.
Old June 5 2007, 08:52 PM   #6
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Peach Wookiee said:
I don't know what it would take, but it'd be neat, I think. I remember when the Star Wars OT was re-released in 1997, and I dragged my mom to the theaters because I'd never seen the movies on the big screen.
I was in the same boat as you.

My Mom brags to this day how many times she saw ANH on the big screen. She worked in a mall with a theater. So I'd head over after I got out of class and meet up when she got out and we'd go see it.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2007, 09:12 PM   #7
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

By citing the example of Lucas and the theatrical re-release of the OT, you have pointed out the one fundemental problem with Star Trek not only in this situation, but several situations: There isn't that one guy or gal in charge of the whole shebang to call all the shots and, considering that a bunch of faceless suits have carved up Trek like a Christmas goose, it's highly unlikely that any potential showrunner, be it Abrams, Whedon, or Straczynski, will have that kind of Lucas-like power. Didn't Roddenberry had an oppurtunity to buy Trek from Desilu at one time? What happened to that?
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2007, 09:48 PM   #8
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I don't think he was ever able to come up with enough money to buy Paramount's stake in the property. In the end, they bought him out sometime after TMP but before hiring Harve Bennett to produce the second film.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2007, 08:10 AM   #9
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to see the Trek movies on the big screen again but I don't see there being enough demand to do so in any big way at least.
Old June 6 2007, 09:28 PM   #10
Computer
Captain

Jack Bauer said:
I'd love to see the Trek movies on the big screen again but I don't see there being enough demand to do so in any big way at least.
It's all in the marketing. (Propoganda)
Old June 6 2007, 09:54 PM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Computer said:
It's all in the marketing.
And it is still possible for individuals to approach a cinema and negotiate an "event", on a promise of a certain number of ticket sales, and help to promote the event.

If you want to see ST movies up on a large screen organize a ST Marathon day, and a month or so as a window for promoting ticket sales. Talk to your local cinema about them dedicating a day, or an overnight to a find-raising screening of STs 1 - 6, or STs 2 - 4, or STs 7 - 10, and see if you can crack a deal with them, a local ST club and perhaps a charity?

Sit long and prosper.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2007, 11:49 PM   #12
defconprime
Lieutenant

I would love to see TMP or TSFS on the big screen. They're the only two I've never seen, and I really feel like watching all those V'Ger crawls in TMP would be awesome with the Goldsmith music blasting over a decent sound system.
Old June 7 2007, 03:14 AM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

cardinal biggles said:
I don't think he was ever able to come up with enough money to buy Paramount's stake in the property. In the end, they bought him out sometime after TMP but before hiring Harve Bennett to produce the second film.
It was actually before TMP that Paramount bought out Roddenberry. Either '72 or '73. Roddenberry needed the money, so he sold his ownership stake in the franchise and Paramount was free to do with Star Trek what they wanted. It was about that time that Paramount began developing "Planet of the Titans" as a film without Roddenberry's involvement. Then Paramount approached Roddenberry about producing a new television series, which morphed into the film, and that's how Roddenberry became involved in that. Not because he had to be involved, but because the studio wanted him involved.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2007, 08:55 AM   #14
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to see number 4 on the big screen since that's the only one I haven't seen in the theater.
Old June 7 2007, 09:56 AM   #15
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson said:
Not because he had to be involved, but because the studio wanted him involved.
That's why he was brought on to TNG. Paramount could easily have done it without him, but they didn't feel anyone but him really understood why Star Trek was a success, and felt they needed him to make it work.