Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 1 2009, 12:57 AM   #1
You_Guyz
Commander

Resolutions- How far would the crew have backtracked?

Just what would be the tipping point for Voyager returning to that planet to get Chakotay and Janeway if they had got a cure later. If they'd been travelling for 6 months, would they have really added another year to their journey by going back to get them? How long do you think it would take before the crew just weren't willing?
You_Guyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 01:16 AM   #2
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: Resolutions- How far would the crew have backtracked?

70 years ahead of them... 6 months behind? I think they'd go back to get their Commanders even if it was "years", because the crew would expect their Commanders to come back for them if they were left behind. I don't feel qualified to speculate on 2 vs 10 years. It also depends on how their sojourn under the command of a Vulcan Captain was going, and whether his deliberate course had made as much progress and the more adventurous Indianna Captain. ;-)
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Voyagerian
Commander

Off the cuff thought here, but, I wonder if Tuvok-who in the ep as aired, had to ultimately be altered in his thinking by Kes re trying Harry and co.'s plan, would at some point adhere strictly to logic-even though we know that, down in his Vulcan heart, he would want nothing more, than to have Kathryn Janeway, and yes, Chakotay, who he's made amends with by then, back aboard. The case wouldn't be easier to make I think if it went beyond a certain point, but as to what, as wondered above, who knows?I think that between he and say, if Tom, Harry, or Lanna were in charge, the odds would be VERY stacked in favor of going back. I think, as with the Plan, the majority of the crew would fall into line with any of them. By now, it was 'One crew, one family'...
Old December 1 2009, 11:25 PM   #4
You_Guyz
Commander

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
70 years ahead of them... 6 months behind? I think they'd go back to get their Commanders even if it was "years", because the crew would expect their Commanders to come back for them if they were left behind. I don't feel qualified to speculate on 2 vs 10 years. It also depends on how their sojourn under the command of a Vulcan Captain was going, and whether his deliberate course had made as much progress and the more adventurous Indianna Captain. ;-)
You really think that the crew would be willing to add years and years to their journey to fly back through space they'd already gone through just to get two people back? And let's not forget there would be no guarantee J&C would still be alive.
Old December 1 2009, 11:46 PM   #5
apenpaap
Commodore

I think they would have gone back for one year, because after that, they skipped 10000 lightyears, and going back after that would've meant 22 years back and forth, most of which would be spent in Borg space.
Old December 1 2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Lazarus
Fleet Captain

How far was the distance given in the episode? A few months worth?
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 12:10 AM   #7
You_Guyz
Commander

apenpaap wrote: View Post
I think they would have gone back for one year, because after that, they skipped 10000 lightyears, and going back after that would've meant 22 years back and forth, most of which would be spent in Borg space.
Well let's assume none of that happened, because that messes the original question up. We're talking about actual time here, how much time would the crew theoretically spend going back?
Old December 2 2009, 12:24 AM   #8
apenpaap
Commodore

5 years.
Old December 2 2009, 01:23 AM   #9
Athena28
Commodore

Years.
Old December 2 2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Kai Winn
Captain

it was the last time they met vidiians, wasn't it? who else would have the ability to kill that local virus? the vidiians were mentioned once more, in think tank (season 5?). when voyager had travelled 20,000+ lightyears from vidiian space. i was puzzled they would know that insignificant, and barely clinging to life species so far away. it's normally a journey of 20 years at voyager speed, trough borg-infested space.
and why did the ship always move so slowly, anyway? warp 2, 5,6, 8. also in this episode, tuvok ordered warp 6 on the way from the planet, and warp 8 on the way back. 9.5 is several times faster.
Kai Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 11:54 PM   #11
Deks
Rear Admiral

I think that by the time that Voyager found the cure and got back to the planet, around 14 weeks passed in total ... 7 weeks in one direction (when Voyager initially left) and 7 weeks back.
I can't be certain as I cannot remember the exact dialog ... and apparently before the episode began, already several weeks passed after Janeway and Chakotay were infected.