Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 1 2009, 05:18 PM   #1
slundal
Lieutenant Commander

The rift Kirk manages to send the car in.

The giant rift that Kirk drives his Uncles (?) car into in the beginning of the movie is that the rift that the Zindi cut during their attack on earth in Enterprise season two ending?

Just hit me know that I might be and I'm wondering if the rift was intentional or not?
Old November 1 2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: The rift Kirk manages to send the car in.

slundal wrote: View Post
The giant rift that Kirk drives his Uncles (?) car into in the beginning of the movie is that the rift that the Zindi cut during their attack on earth in Enterprise season two ending?

Just hit me know that I might be and I'm wondering if the rift was intentional or not?
The Xindi cut open Florida and the surrounding area. The canyon in Iowa seems to be more for industrial purposes.
Old November 1 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Not a canyon. It's a quarry. That's why it's so rectilineal.

It's CGI, but it was based on shots of a real quarry in New England; J.J. sent a unit back there to get some shots.
Old November 1 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

This "quarry-as-Xindi-rift" thing has come up before, as if there's no other explanation for a deep pit in the ground. I wonder what gives people these ideas.
Old November 1 2009, 06:04 PM   #5
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Jeri wrote: View Post

It's CGI, but it was based on shots of a real quarry in New England; J.J. sent a unit back there to get some shots.
It is indeed a quarry.

Eastern Iowa has lots of quarries, though they are generally wider and not so deep. The one digitally inserted into the "Iowa" landscape in the movie was modeled on parts of a real granite quarry in Vermont.

http://www.rockofages.com/en/gift-shop-a-tourism

http://www.fox44now.com/Global/story.asp?S=10303428

See a short video tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR1kV6xTB0U
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.

Last edited by M'Sharak; November 1 2009 at 06:29 PM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Wow, now that is service! Thank you, M'. You are indispensable. I've seen a newspaper article with photo about the quarry, but not the video.
Old November 1 2009, 07:18 PM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Wow, now that is service! Thank you, M'. You are indispensable. I've seen a newspaper article with photo about the quarry, but not the video.
This article, maybe? [Edit: or here's another article which has essentially the same text, but includes a link to the official site at the bottom for people who wanted to see their quarry in the movie trailer.]

And I hadn't seen the video before stumbling across it today; there appear to be quite a number of others taken at the same quarry in the "related videos" sidebar.
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.

Last edited by M'Sharak; November 1 2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: link
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Err, that's what I meant, a quarry. If I had more time but didn't remember the name, I'd call it "The artificial canyon where they do stuff like drill rocks and drop cars."
Old November 1 2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Ok, I'm in a weird mood today.

First, for some reason I thought I was in GEN Trek forum.

Second, reading the title of this thread, I had this image in my head:

Kirk has no hand. Instead he has a chainsaw instead of a hand. And a phaser rifle. And he and an old beat up car are sent through the time rift to fight the evil dead demons in medieval times. I think Kirk would show up even Ash!
Old November 1 2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Jeri
Vice Admiral

M', that's the one. It was their 15 minutes of fame; I can imagine how pumped they might have been for a while.

Cyke, I could tell you were getting there. I wasn't meaning to contradict; just being clear...
Old November 1 2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the info - that "canyon" struck me as weirdly un-Midwestern - but of course, who knows how the landscape will be mangled and altered by the 23rd C. It never occurred to me that it might be man-made.

I wonder what the heck they were quarrying that would result in a long, narrow, deep gash in Iowa?

I also gotta wonder, why there are skyscrapers in Pacific Heights (and did they bulldozer it flat first?)
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Cyke, I could tell you were getting there. I wasn't meaning to contradict; just being clear...
Oh no, it was my own lapse of memory. Now, if I really wanted to be pedantic about it... I would've called it the Gravity Hole
Old November 2 2009, 12:35 AM   #13
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Thanks for the info - that "canyon" struck me as weirdly un-Midwestern - but of course, who knows how the landscape will be mangled and altered by the 23rd C. It never occurred to me that it might be man-made.

I wonder what the heck they were quarrying that would result in a long, narrow, deep gash in Iowa?

I also gotta wonder, why there are skyscrapers in Pacific Heights (and did they bulldozer it flat first?)
Limestone. You've never been out here, have you. There are quarries all over the place.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 03:04 AM   #14
Jeri
Vice Admiral

We're not too far from Iowa here; and driving down the Tri-State Tollway just south of Chicago, you can look deep down into a huge one -- the Thornton Quarry, one of the largest aggregate quarries in the world. It's about 400 feet deep.
Old November 2 2009, 04:23 AM   #15
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

We're not too far from Iowa here; and driving down the Tri-State Tollway just south of Chicago, you can look deep down into a huge one -- the Thornton Quarry, one of the largest aggregate quarries in the world. It's about 400 feet deep.
I keep forgetting that you live Chicago. And I suppose I should be a good little Trekkie and check out the Quarry...