Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 7 2013, 05:08 AM   #421
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Who would you want to play the captain in Trek series 6

Dix wrote: View Post
Chris Pine is an example of what a SF captain should not be. Pine is the worst Trek Captain ever.
No.

It's thanks to Abrams and to casting like Pine and Quinto that Star Trek has any future at all for people to speculate uselessly about in this forum.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 05:25 PM   #422
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Again with the Shatner is too fat complaints? The guy is 81 and in extremely good shape for that age. Respect for the elderly seems to be out of the window.
I'm not complaining about his weight, just being self deprecating for him

Truth be told, he appears to have lost quite a bit of weight in the last year or two.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 07:47 AM   #423
Mirror Sulu
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Chris Pine is an example of what a SF captain should not be. Pine is the worst Trek Captain ever.
No.

It's thanks to Abrams and to casting like Pine and Quinto that Star Trek has any future at all for people to speculate uselessly about in this forum.
No.

If you're speaking immediate future (which I assume you are), then certainly an argument can be made for Abrams, because it was his pitch that brought Trek back to the big screen. As for Pine and Quinto's casting being a reason? Nah. Can't see your thought process there. Pine is pretty horrible, arguably the worst of the new cast and undeniably the worst Trek captain ever.
Mirror Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 11:00 PM   #424
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Mirror Sulu wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
No.

No.

If you're speaking immediate future (which I assume you are), then certainly an argument can be made for Abrams, because it was his pitch that brought Trek back to the big screen. As for Pine and Quinto's casting being a reason? Nah. Can't see your thought process there. Pine is pretty horrible, arguably the worst of the new cast and undeniably the worst Trek captain ever.
Actually Pine's performance is uncanny...he mimics many of Shatner's mannerisms for Kirk without it devolving into parody, which it very easily could have. Critically Pine's performance is one of the keys often mentioned to ST09's success.

RAMA
Old March 9 2013, 11:15 PM   #425
marksound
Fleet Captain

Pine and Quinto did a decent job with the characters. The comparisons between the new and old Kirk and Spock aren't fair because they were trained differently. Pine doesn't have the extensive Shakespearean training that Shatner had, or the range of experience. Quinto doesn't have the same experience as Nimoy. The younger actors did a commendable job despite the differences.

The only problem I have with younger actors today is they don't seem to have the same vocal depth and projection as their predecessors. Also, younger leading man types today look physically smaller than the generations before.

It's not good or bad, it's just different.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 11:18 PM   #426
marksound
Fleet Captain

Oh, and I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Adam Baldwin in the captain's chair.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 03:57 AM   #427
PhaseIIforever
Ensign

I think James Purefoy gives off a vibe that he'll try anything and I think that's an important trait for a starship captain to have.
PhaseIIforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:38 AM   #428
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Lennie James
Old March 19 2013, 02:32 AM   #429
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

To be fair, it mostly was the way the character was written, and the way Pine himself was directed. If the new Kirk had been written to be a compassionate and insightful character, what we got from Pine would have been different.

Although I think given his level of acting experience at the time Star Trek Eleven was produced, Pine would have had difficulty depicting such a character.

The character was written to be a confrontational punk, this is the way Pine the actor played him. From what I've seen of Pine in articles and interviews, he personally seems to be a pretty nice, mild mannered guy. Hardly the tired stereo-type "bad boy" that is new Kirk.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote