TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 1 2009, 08:58 PM   #16
Subspace
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Synthetic actor in the Cage???

That guy is weird, He gives me the Creeps.
Subspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 09:43 PM   #17
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Yeoman Rancid wrote: View Post
This was the first time i really took a look at the changes made. I seriously do NOT like the remastered cgi stuff at all!
Then you are prejudging the other 79 episodes, and you're prejudging them all based on a tiny clip on Youtube?

Some of the CGI stuff is spectacular.
Yeah, i really was going to. I honestly don't think i'll enjoy the 'improved' upgrades (so to speak)....

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Some of the CGI stuff is spectacular.
I've seen just about all 79 remastered eps now, and I'd say maybe 5% of it was either not an improvement or actually detrimental in some way. That means it was VERRRRY successful in its execution IMO.
And yet, you THERIN and lil bro CHRIS say its great. So ok, yeah, that gives me pause...(because i suspect from being around here for a while, you both are very big TOS fans)

*throws hands up in resignation*.....oK...i'll try some more!

BTW, my birthday is this month and i suspect my husband bought me the new and improved set, so i'll LYK as soon as my bd rolls around~
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 09:55 PM   #18
Chrisisall
Commodore

*throws hands up in resignation*.....oK...i'll try some more!
Doomsday Machine will definitely impress you in a positive way. The planet killer is a little on the blue-ish side for my taste, but overall it's the episode that benefits THE MOST from the CGI substitutions.
BTW, my birthday is this month and i suspect my husband bought me the new and improved set, so i'll LYK as soon as my bd rolls around~
Happy Birthday in advance, & make sure your man reads this thread!
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 10:19 PM   #19
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

CHRIS, i told him a while back to put TOS blu-ray on my wish list along with Enterprise....let's see how well he listens.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 12:13 AM   #20
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

My only real complaint about the new effects is that so often, the lighting is too damn dark.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 12:17 AM   #21
Vance
Vice Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
My only real complaint about the new effects is that so often, the lighting is too damn dark.
Dude, seriously.. turn the tv on too.. not just the PS3...

:P
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 12:56 AM   #22
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
The entire bridge is CG during the push-in, as are all the actors, and then they merge with the original footage of the live actors when the virtual camera's angle matches that of the on-stage camera. Considering all of that, it's pretty successful if all you noticed was one animated guy.
The CGI in that shot is superb, especially given what must have been a minuscule budget.
Old November 2 2009, 06:12 AM   #23
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

My only problem with ST remastered was the M-5 battle, I wanted to see just how fucked up the Excaliber was.

Though it was nice seeing each ship with some subtle variations to them.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 06:32 AM   #24
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

The title of the thread reminds me of Scotty's line in "Relics":

"Synthetic scotch. Synthetic commanders."
Old November 2 2009, 04:43 PM   #25
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Yeah, i really was going to. I honestly don't think i'll enjoy the 'improved' upgrades (so to speak)....~
I was one of the old fogies complaining about the new effects a couple of years ago when we started seeing the episodes on SD TV. However, now that I've had time to view the BDs, it truly is hard to go back and watch the original effects. First, as we know, the original shots are in terrible condition and are jarring when compared w/ the live footage.

Second, I've really come to love the new effects. They genuinely look beautiful, other than a few shots that look too "plastic." They took some creative liberty to give us more varied angles. And, the increased detail is very impressive. Sometimes I rewind and watch a shot 2 or 3 times to give my eyes/brain more opportunity to enjoy it.

So, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when your hubby gives you the BD. Enjoy!

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 05:50 PM   #26
Hambone
Fleet Captain

oh wow. Thats the first time i have seen any of the episodes redone. I do NOT like it at all!!! (Call me an old fogey)...
You saw it; you can't un-see it. You old fogey.
Old November 2 2009, 06:15 PM   #27
Bertie
Lieutenant Commander

Although "The Cage" may be a natural starting point for a TOS-R viewing, it really isn't a good episode to use in judging what TOS-R did as a whole; its an unusual special case.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 08:06 PM   #28
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

I've seen the majority of the TOS-R episodes and have yet to see one where the CGI FX didn't stand out like a distracting sore thumb. I'm all for cleaning up the video and sound (You know, actual "remastering"), but smothering TOS in CGI effects is silly. If you don't think 1960s SFX are convincing or not good enough to watch, then don't watch 1960s SciFi TV Shows.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 09:09 PM   #29
Vance
Vice Admiral

Unclean! Unclean! We must keep the purity!
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 10:31 PM   #30
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Overall, I think they did a good job. They started off rather "iffy" with Balance of Terror not being all that amazing, but as stated above, Doomsday Machine is really great. I don't think they got it perfect, there are a few errors they made which don't jive with the live action, but I won't go into detail here. All in all, 90% of that episode is great and adds real excitement to the piece.

Do keep in mind, however, that I am an old school fan and am perfectly happy with the old effects, even on Blu-Ray on my 52 inch DLP HDTV. I grew up with them and are more than used to how the look. However, when the effects fail during an episode which relies on them, the improvements can be tremendous. Doomsday Machine is one, but Tomorrow is Yesterday is a totally different experience now, and for this episode, I CANNOT watch the original anymore. The "Enterprise in the atmosphere" shots are breathtaking and they even replaced the "fighter jet against the black sky" shot with a photo realistic day shot, which really was "under cloud cover." But best of all, they made the slingshot effect not only make sense, but made it exciting. It's gorgeous, perfectly done and very exciting.

However, as they went on, they got bold and started screwing with the actors. This is where I don't enjoy it. Wink of an Eye for example: Kirk, Spock and two security guards thunder down to where the Scalosians built their conversion thingy. When Kirk orders them to sweep the area, the original shot had a greenish phaser effect cover the screen, with a shot of the converter thingy spliced in. It didn't belong there, but under the effect, it wasn't all that bad. The effects guys replaced this with a still shot of the men, animated their arms and put individual beams firing against a force field. This wasn't a "sweep" and there was no force field (Scalosian weapons shoved them back). It was really ridiculous and looked worse than the one mis-edited shot. And there was nothing wrong with flooding the screen with a phaser effect back then. No real need to do this.

The Empath "improves" the healing scenes by evening out the transitions (you could see the dissolve as during each stage of healing). To do this they, again, used a still shot of, say, Kirk's wrists and just faded the wounds out. No stages, no transition. It was a less impressive effect than the painstaking makeup work.

I'm sure lots of folks don't have issues with that sort of thing. But I'm of the mind that certain effects really didn't need to be touched and if they're going to screw with live action footage, they should have stuck to the backgrounds, like the dark monitors in Tomorrow is Yesterday where the lighting reveals the paper.