Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 9 2009, 01:48 PM   #1
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Defying Gravity UK Thread

Well Defying Gravity has finally been given an air date on BBC Two.
The first 2 episodes are aired on BBC Two/BBC HD at 9pm on Wednesday 21st.

Ron Livingston (Sex And The City, Band Of Brothers) stars in Defying Gravity, a new adventure drama series from creator and executive producer James Parriott (Grey's Anatomy) and executive producer Michael Edelstein (Desperate Housewives). The 13-part series will broadcast on BBC Two in October 2009.
Set in the near future, Defying Gravity revolves around the exploits of eight astronauts from five countries (four men and four women) who undertake a mysterious six-year international space mission through the solar system. With the eyes of the world upon them (everything they do is monitored and every emotion they feel scrutinised) they soon discover that their real assignment is not at all what they thought...

I know it's already aired in the US and for the sake of UK posters who haven't seen it I'd ask any spoilers be coded.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Defying Gravity UK Thread

I enjoyed various things about the first 5 episodes, enough to make me want to see the whole show, but I actually stopped watching this when I realised it possibly wasn't going to make it through its run in one hit.

I've been saving them up waiting for it all to air out, which it appears it will do on SPACE and i'm looking forward to watching the whole thing over a weekend.

I recommend it to my fellow UKers, the first episode has some remarkably stupid moments, and there are various bits of silliness dotted about, but overall it's a good effort. Stick with it past the first 2 episodes and I think you'll like it.
Old October 9 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Finally!

Thank you Mr Radio Times. I don't know where I'd be without you.
Old October 9 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Starkers
Admiral

Cool I was wondering when this would arrive. Anyone know if they're reusing effects from the Space Odyssey 2 part drama/documentary the Beeb did a few years ago? I'd heard this was based in part on that.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Finally!

Thank you Mr Radio Times. I don't know where I'd be without you.
You'd be posting more TV threads?
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old October 9 2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I'd be wandering around whining that nobody told me it was on, I missed it, buggerit, etc.
Old October 9 2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Pingfah
Admiral

Stalkers wrote: View Post
Cool I was wondering when this would arrive. Anyone know if they're reusing effects from the Space Odyssey 2 part drama/documentary the Beeb did a few years ago? I'd heard this was based in part on that.
It's very basically rooted round the same concept, but is really nothing like it at all. More drama, less education.
Old October 9 2009, 02:10 PM   #8
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Pingfaaaarrrgghhh wrote: View Post
Stalkers wrote: View Post
It's very basically rooted round the same concept, but is really nothing like it at all. More drama, less education.
More space sex, less space?
Old October 9 2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Well if it's full of sexual imagery I'll miss it all.
Old October 9 2009, 02:13 PM   #10
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Well if it's full of sexual imagery I'll miss it all.
Well I've not seen it, but since they're describing it as Grey's Anatomy in space I assume there'll be quite a bit of sexual shenanigans going on.
Old October 9 2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Oh people hitting on each other, I get that. It's just failing to notice that the ship's shaped like a giant vulva or something.
Old October 9 2009, 02:17 PM   #12
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Oh people hitting on each other, I get that. It's just failing to notice that the ship's shaped like a giant vulva or something.
I think a lot of the time when people see things like that it speaks more to their psychology than it does the show. Unless of course it's something like Lexx.
Old October 9 2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Pingfah
Admiral

Yeah, too much sex really.

Frankly I thought the model of Space Odyssey was perfectly good enough for a whole season of TV. I would have liked to have seen an educational show that simply used the dramatic storyline as a framework to impart information and create realistic dramatic situations with particular regard to the science.

Absolutely no need for constant interpersonal shenanigans. However, it is what it is, and it is that fairly successfully.
Old October 9 2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Well, it's nice to know the airing dates, much thanks Bob. I'm of two minds about this series. On the one hand, I love the concept. Astronauts, flying through solar system, there's really nothing to like about that.

On the other hand... some producer from Grey's Anatomy? So is this Grey's Anatomy in space or something? Harrumph. Well, I'll give the pilot a whirl.

Bob the Skull wrote: View Post
I think a lot of the time when people see things like that it speaks more to their psychology than it does the show. Unless of course it's something like Lexx.
Deckerd's probably referring to this thread. He/she didn't really think Alien had any sexual subtext.
Old October 9 2009, 03:02 PM   #15
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Pingfaaaarrrgghhh wrote: View Post
Yeah, too much sex really.

Frankly I thought the model of Space Odyssey was perfectly good enough for a whole season of TV. I would have liked to have seen an educational show that simply used the dramatic storyline as a framework to impart information and create realistic dramatic situations with particular regard to the science.

Absolutely no need for constant interpersonal shenanigans. However, it is what it is, and it is that fairly successfully.
After our Defying Gravity discussion earlier on in the year, I got Space Odyssey. It was surprisingly gripping, well acted and the special effects were very good. The Venus episode had me on the edge of my seat.