RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,371
Posts: 5,504,012
Members: 25,124
Currently online: 509
Newest member: traedoril

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 31 2009, 06:50 PM   #31
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher
 
Dayton Ward's Avatar
 
View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Returns's heart and intentions were in the right place, but instead of trying to make its own mark it spent too much time romancing the Donner movie(s), and simply giving us "Donner+," rather than telling its own story from the ground up. Given what we got, a clean reboot ala Batman Begins would've been preferable.

Just my $.02
__________________
www.daytonward.com

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 06:53 PM   #32
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Thrall wrote: View Post
Don Draper/John Hamm was born to play Superman.
He'd be my pick as well. I'd choose Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns to write it and Scorsese to direct.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 06:56 PM   #33
Chess Piece Face
Commodore
 
Chess Piece Face's Avatar
 
Location: Akron, Ohio
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Someone who looks like alex ross painted him. No origin story. No extra kid having, type bullshit. No 20 year old superman. No wacky moments.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 06:57 PM   #34
Chess Piece Face
Commodore
 
Chess Piece Face's Avatar
 
Location: Akron, Ohio
Re: your SUPERMAN!

john hamm would fit my criteria well
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 07:02 PM   #35
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Skystalker wrote: View Post
Liam Neeson* as Jor-El


*What? He seems to be Hollywood's go-to guy for the "mentor to the young hero" roles these days.
I know. He's replaced the gap that was left when Connery retired, IMHO. Must be a Celtic thing or something.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 07:50 PM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Skystalker wrote: View Post
Liam Neeson* as Jor-El


*What? He seems to be Hollywood's go-to guy for the "mentor to the young hero" roles these days.
I know. He's replaced the gap that was left when Connery retired, IMHO. Must be a Celtic thing or something.

Although Anthony Hopkins is giving him a run for his money. THE MASK OF ZORRO, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE II, THE WOLFMAN, THOR, etc.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 09:40 PM   #37
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: your SUPERMAN!

I realize there's an unhealthy obsession with reboots, I just don't agree that Superman needs one.

With very few exceptions, reboots only make things more complicated - darker, ambiguous, dirty, depressing. Superman, on the other hand, is above such things. The whole point of Superman is that he's perfect, or at least as close to perfect as anyone can be. He is the ultimate Boy Scout - he's innately good, absolutely incorruptible and honest. You know, like Optimus Prime. That's why Superman is distinct - there's few true, absolute heroes left, so when we find one, we stick with it. And nothing should change that, since if it does, it kills the entire appeal and *point* of Superman's existence as a character.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 09:53 PM   #38
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Skystalker wrote: View Post
Liam Neeson* as Jor-El


*What? He seems to be Hollywood's go-to guy for the "mentor to the young hero" roles these days.
I know. He's replaced the gap that was left when Connery retired, IMHO. Must be a Celtic thing or something.

Although Anthony Hopkins is giving him a run for his money. THE MASK OF ZORRO, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE II, THE WOLFMAN, THOR, etc.
True. Connery was originally meant to be in Zorro and also the first choice to voice Aslan in the Narnia series. They must both have clapped their hands and jumped for joy when he retired.

Of course, Hopkins is also a Celt (Welsh). But hey, casting directors, what about giving Gabriel Byrne or Timothy Dalton a look-in too?!
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 11:27 PM   #39
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Here's mine

Director: Bryan Singer
Writer: Geoff Johns

Cast:
Superman/Clark Kent: Brandon Routh
Lois Lane: Zooey Deschanel
Jimmy Olsen: Sam Huntington
Lex Luthor: Kevin Spacey
Brainiac: Voice of James Marsters
Darkseid: Voice of Michael Ironside
General Zod: Jude Law
Major Zod (Fortress hologram sequence Callum Blue)
Terrance Stamp: Voice of Jor-El
Martha Kent: Annette O'Tool
Perry White: Frank Langella
Lana Lang: Amy Adams
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 11:55 PM   #40
Galactus
Rear Admiral
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Location: The High Father
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Director: Me
Screenwriter: Me

Cast: bad with hollywood types
Clark/Superman: actor that looks like Superman to me, alien
No Lois, No Lex,

Pretty much totally new take on the character.
__________________
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 12:42 AM   #41
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Galactus wrote: View Post
Director: Me
Screenwriter: Me

Cast: bad with hollywood types
Clark/Superman: actor that looks like Superman to me, alien
No Lois, No Lex,

Pretty much totally new take on the character.
...and we all saw what Tim Burton's take was...oye...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 04:57 AM   #42
Galactus
Rear Admiral
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Location: The High Father
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Well I said different take on the character, not a totally new character and call him Superman.
__________________
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 08:27 PM   #43
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I realize there's an unhealthy obsession with reboots, I just don't agree that Superman needs one.

With very few exceptions, reboots only make things more complicated - darker, ambiguous, dirty, depressing. Superman, on the other hand, is above such things. The whole point of Superman is that he's perfect, or at least as close to perfect as anyone can be. He is the ultimate Boy Scout - he's innately good, absolutely incorruptible and honest. You know, like Optimus Prime. That's why Superman is distinct - there's few true, absolute heroes left, so when we find one, we stick with it. And nothing should change that, since if it does, it kills the entire appeal and *point* of Superman's existence as a character.
Reboot =/= Dark
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 08:39 PM   #44
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral
 
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Director: Matthew Vaughan

Idea:
Pretty much a beginning to end reboot, a more modern version of the Donner film, more reminiscent of the 90s animated show and 'post-crisis' continuity. Big action, big scale, I'd even consider a Darkseid Apokalips invasion storyline. Something BIG like that to introduce Superman to the world (in the story) would be cool, instead of yet another airplane/helicopter rescue.

There is an entire generation of film-goers who have not seen the Donner film, or whom regard it as merely a quaint 70s movie, with some warm fuzzy memories of Chris Reeve.
These are people who identify Superman most with:
-the cartoony picture on their kid's lunchbox
-Smallville
-Justice League or whatever cartoon version airs now.

I think a lot of geeks just assume that the rest of the world is like us. I'm sorry but I don't think everyone else considers the original film a pinnacle of sacred film-making.

Any 'darkness' should be plot-based darkness, and not trying to gritty up Superman's character. I consider Superman to be like a billowing American flag peeking out of the rubble of 9/11 (That's just a metaphor, not literal). Everything else can be brought to pure shit but Superman really serves as a light. I'd make the 'Smallville' portion relatively short, 1 or 2 scenes at best, and focus more on Metropolis.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 09:30 PM   #45
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: your SUPERMAN!

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Director: Matthew Vaughan

Idea:
Pretty much a beginning to end reboot, a more modern version of the Donner film, more reminiscent of the 90s animated show and 'post-crisis' continuity. Big action, big scale, I'd even consider a Darkseid Apokalips invasion storyline. Something BIG like that to introduce Superman to the world (in the story) would be cool, instead of yet another airplane/helicopter rescue.

There is an entire generation of film-goers who have not seen the Donner film, or whom regard it as merely a quaint 70s movie, with some warm fuzzy memories of Chris Reeve.
These are people who identify Superman most with:
-the cartoony picture on their kid's lunchbox
-Smallville
-Justice League or whatever cartoon version airs now.

I think a lot of geeks just assume that the rest of the world is like us. I'm sorry but I don't think everyone else considers the original film a pinnacle of sacred film-making.

Any 'darkness' should be plot-based darkness, and not trying to gritty up Superman's character. I consider Superman to be like a billowing American flag peeking out of the rubble of 9/11 (That's just a metaphor, not literal). Everything else can be brought to pure shit but Superman really serves as a light. I'd make the 'Smallville' portion relatively short, 1 or 2 scenes at best, and focus more on Metropolis.
as long as you don't, as you say, gritty up superman I like your idea..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
superman, superman returns

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.