Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 29 2009, 07:49 AM   #16
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Show that Never Will End that Fans want to End (Smallville)

I want it to end.

It's annoying to have to watch every episode.

I mean when you see a junkie corpse rotting in the gutter, do you blame the junk or the junkie?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 08:55 AM   #17
nx1701g
Admiral

This isn't really new news I'm afraid. Back when they were talking about a ninth season they announced that they had plans for a tenth and that they were trying to get Welling to sign on the dotted line for it as well. He did.

Actually one of the few who did not to sign for a tenth season, so far, is Allison Mack.
Old October 29 2009, 10:26 AM   #18
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

How Darkseid Can Visit Smallville Without Embarrassing Himself

http://io9.com/5043573/how-darkseid-...assing-himself
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 11:07 AM   #19
nx1701g
Admiral

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
How Darkseid Can Visit Smallville Without Embarrassing Himself

http://io9.com/5043573/how-darkseid-...assing-himself
^ Link didn't work for me.
Old October 29 2009, 11:57 AM   #20
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Might be your filter, sometimes those geeky moron editors at Io9 fill their site with NSFW posts like linking their site to some softcore/hardcore scifi review...if you get my meaning

Anyway here's the article

While we hope and pray that the rumor about Darkseid appearing in the next season of Smallville has no basis in truth whatsoever, the fact that the makers of the CW's most frustrating hour of television have already made Brainiac into a schoolteacher points towards it being real with the Source's very own flaming finger of fate. But is there a way to put the personification of pure evil (and probable inspiration for Darth Vader) into Smallville without it sucking? We look at the possibilities and spoil you some more under the jump.While Smallville has a long and shameful history of taking classic DC characters and, well, screwing them up - Brainiac, anyone? Zod? - it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Sure, the show may not have the flamboyance or budget to bring Darkseid to the screen in the way that we'd all want to see him, but that doesn't mean that they can't come up with a version that doesn't make fans run screaming from their televisions.

This is how we'd do it:

Steal from today's comics. Okay, actually from a couple of months' ago, but it's close enough. As part of the opening of Final Crisis (and, actually, in the Mister Miracle series from a few years back), Darkseid is shown as "hiding" in human bodies. Sure, his godlike presence tends to cause them to burn out very quickly, requiring a lot of replacements, but a succession of threatening guest-stars is probably cheaper than having someone come up with a believable way of bringing his traditional stony-faced, purple-clad look to the small screen.

Keep him lowkey. More than even Lex Luthor, Darkseid doesn't get his hands dirty; he has an endless supply of minions to do all the messy jobs for him, and they'll all happily die for him. But when it comes time for the inevitable showdown, remember that he's no slouch when it comes to either a fight or melodramatic rhetoric when either are absolutely necessary.

Remember that Darkseid thinks big, but acts small. The basic idea of Darkseid is very, very simple: He wants to eradicate all free will in the universe, and replace it with his will, and there's something on Earth that will make that possible. So, if he does appear on Smallville? He'd better not be someone who falls for Chloe and then decides to get even when she decides that she'd rather hang with Jimmy, is all I'm saying. But don't take that to mean that he's all about the grand gestures; Darkseid prefers to do things so that no-one notices. Like Final Crisis's kidnapped children, or Forever People's funpark that doubles as a torture chamber. He's creepier and more meticulous than most Smallville villains - and in a genuine way, not a Lionel Luthor smiles to himself while drinking a glass of whiskey kind of way.There is, to be honest, no reason why Darkseid couldn't work well on the small screen - His methods and, thanks to Final Crisis, disguises are well within network budgets, after all. But what worries us more than anything else is the almost inevitably bad decisions made by Smallville's producers and writers when it comes to coming up with ways of bringing fan-favorites into their show (turning unstoppable monster Doomsday into a hunky medic, for example?). So much so, in fact, that it's almost a given that, if we do see Darkseid come up against a young Clark Kent, he'll have become a goth teenager working at McDonalds who has a crush on Lois and likes to wear a lot of black while sneering at everyone.Consider this a challenge, Smallville staffers: Give us something approaching the real Darkseid: A new god worth Superman's time - and our own.
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 01:04 PM   #21
23skidoo
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
It's on the CW, though. How many people does it take for the "audience to be there"? Is 5 people watching enough?
Remember, though, it was The CW -- or to be precise, one of the original components of the CW -- that cancelled not only Star Trek Enterprise but fan favorites like Veronica Mars. And I think a CW show was the first to be cancelled this season. They're not afraid of cancelling a show if they have to.

Smallville will probably go down as one of the biggest disappointments to me - they simply messed around with the source material too much to make it of any appeal to me, and it's not just the costumes or lack thereof. I'm frankly surprised it has run this long, but it's an expensive show to produce, so the CW wouldn't be looking at a 10th season if they didn't have the numbers to back it up.

Therefore, the correct title thread is "The show that will never end that SOME (or even MANY) fans want to end."

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 01:11 PM   #22
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

It ended for me when I changed the channel years ago. Life's too short to keep watching shows one doesn't like.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 01:41 PM   #23
alicelouise
Commander

I've started to watch Season 1 on DVD. It's good fare. I like Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex Luthor. He's certainly not your grandma's Lex Luthor.

With 9+ seasons a shark jump is inevitable.
alicelouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 02:49 PM   #24
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
It ended for me when I changed the channel years ago. Life's too short to keep watching shows one doesn't like.
QFT. I did the same with Smallville, and I did the same when Lois and Clark dragged out the wedding with the Lois clone (from which the show never recovered, imnsho).

That being said, I will watch Geoff Johns upcoming episode. Johns is one of the best Superman writers in recent years, washing away the disappointment left behind by Kurt Busiek's run.
Old October 29 2009, 05:37 PM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Who says we want it to end? Speak for yourself.
Old October 29 2009, 07:46 PM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

OH! I remember the movie quote now that completely encapsulates my sentiments...

"It's like masturbating with a cheese-grater. Slightly amusing, but mostly painful."

Did Andrew Dice Clay get banned from everything? I haven't seen him in a while.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 07:51 PM   #27
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

ahhh the show went downhill along time ago. Might as well go out on a nice round number even number like 10.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 07:54 PM   #28
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Didn't think this would get this many responses. I'm a huge Smallville fan as should be already known in the many other Smallville threads I've started and posted in (Guy and NX can back me up on this) it's just gotten to the point that there are very little stories to tell in they way the writers have been telling them. They're still using the same formula to tell the stories that Millar and Gough were telling, they're just adding more DCU characters increasing the Superman references now. It gets tiring to watch the same thing over and over again. At some point I will stop watching this show. I've come close already a couple times in the past two seasons.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 07:57 PM   #29
Othello
Commodore

Speak for yourself. I'm quite eager for a 10th season. Fans don't want it to end, whiners want it to end.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 08:23 PM   #30
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Also I should add that the title was tongue in cheek...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote