Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 27 2009, 11:13 PM   #16
mrcoaster
Fleet Admiral

Re: Favorite teen dramas and why?

antichristhill wrote: View Post
Freaks and Geeks.

It's really the only "teens and high school" show that didn't make me roll me eyes. I loved the characters and could actually relate to them--because I KNEW those kids. I'd gone to school with people just like them.
Yep -
Freaks And Geeks wins hands down. One of the finest shows on television you have ever seen (or not seen, if you have suffered through lesser shows, thinking they were favorites. If the latter is the case, you have been wrong, and with any luck, you will become enlightened in the near future).
Old October 28 2009, 12:03 AM   #17
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

The Tomorrow People - some very clever concepts in that one.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 07:26 AM   #18
BigFoot
Admiral

I like Buffy, Roswell, Veronica Mars, and The O.C.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 09:19 PM   #19
selina
Fleet Captain

Buffy and Veronica Mars here.
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 09:29 PM   #20
Jetfire

BtVS, Smallville, Veronica Mars, The O.C., One Tree Hill and I don't know if Joan of Arcadia counts & Kyle XY.
Old October 28 2009, 09:34 PM   #21
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

mimic wrote: View Post
I think I'm going to try and sell my parents on Buffy by telling them it's part-Joan of Arcadia and part-Doctor Who. We used to watch JoA as a family and my Mom especially liked it.
That should work. Joan of Arcadia was what first convinced me "teen" shows could be good; in combination with Firefly, it's the reason I gave Buffy a shot in the first place.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 01:49 AM   #22
Othello
Commodore

Party of Five - Actually my favorite show of all time. Watched it as it aired and own the first three seasons on DVD and am impatient for the rest. I just loved the whole Salinger family. They dealt with some tough issues REALLY well and it was an excellent family drama.

Dawson's Creek
- Because nothing breaks up a friendship faster than a woman and this series did that well. Pacey Witter and Joey Potter are two of my favorite characters from TV. I didn't watch it when it was on but own all 6 seasons. I remember calling my sister up, who got me to watch the show, and telling her how royally pissed i would be if Pacey didn't end up with Joey even if I was pretty sure he would. At the same time part of me wanted to have him tell her to take a hike after all the shit she put him through.

The OC - Another I didn't watch except on DVD. Seth and Sandy Cohen were HILARIOUS on that show. Summer was a great character too. A TON of great humor in the show. I must also point out that I think the woman who played Marisa Cooper is WAYYYY overrated as looks go.

Friday Night Lights - Absolutely DESPISED the pilot episode. Just hated it. Thought it was the most formulaic crap I had ever seen and I had bought the 1st season for $10 on DVD and after watching that pilot episode ignored the DVD's for a VERY long time until the dead tv time of christmas and I decided to give it a try and got hooked. Minka Kelly is insanely beautiful.

Joan of Arcadia - Amber Tamblyn was great in that role. Quirky as can be but enjoyable. I was SOOOOO pised when ti was cancelled especially after having introduced the devil at the end of the last episode.

Smallville - I'm sure I am in the minority but I loved the Clark and Lana relationship. Add in comic book geekness and you got a great combo.

One Tree Hill - While I certainly enjoyed the Nathan, Haley, Lucas, Brooke etc stuff I mostly enjoyed watching Dan Scott be an evil bastard. LOL
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 02:29 AM   #23
byron lomax
Commander

My So Called Life is probably my favourite teen show. I'm not a fan of the genre in general but loved this series. I like how some plot developments came up totally unexpected. The characters really grew on me over the course of the series too, even though at times the stupid decisions they made (naturally at that age) made me cringe.

I really liked the first season of Popular back when it aired, although that's really more of a comedy....
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 02:37 AM   #24
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Off the top of my head...

Glee - The coach is saying what everyone watching is thinking.

Veronica Mars - Who doesn't love a smart, funny, actractive woman on a teen show.

Life as We Know It - It was real, it was on at the same time as The OC Season 1. It was creamed.

Degrassi: The Next Generation - Because I have a crush on Marco. However the later seasons are horrible!

Freaks and Geeks - It's like A Christmas Story (Which I had to watch before it was "cool" to watch it.) based in a 1980 high school.
Old October 31 2009, 12:11 AM   #25
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

Grange Hill was part of my child hood into my teens then there was B'ker Gruv

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 12:17 AM   #26
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Buffy and Roswell here

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 02:38 AM   #27
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Othello wrote: View Post
Party of Five - Actually my favorite show of all time. Watched it as it aired and own the first three seasons on DVD and am impatient for the rest. I just loved the whole Salinger family. They dealt with some tough issues REALLY well and it was an excellent family drama.
In Party of Five, the Salinger family home always seemed to be a warm and loving place (except, of course, when there was a huge argument going on). Whether a scene at home took place during the day or night, the entire place always looked inviting, even ethereal at times. This was accomplished in large part through perfect lighting. I'm not sure that any recent family drama has matched this quality.
Old November 1 2009, 12:11 AM   #28
Othello
Commodore

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Othello wrote: View Post
In Party of Five, the Salinger family home always seemed to be a warm and loving place (except, of course, when there was a huge argument going on). Whether a scene at home took place during the day or night, the entire place always looked inviting, even ethereal at times. This was accomplished in large part through perfect lighting. I'm not sure that any recent family drama has matched this quality.

yeah.. it was a great show. Watched it every week with my ex-wife with a really nice meal no matter what. We ha Satellite at that time and if we missed the east coast feed we watched it on the west coast one. My favorite show of all time. I'm really annoyed that there are three seasons that still haven't been released.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 03:17 PM   #29
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

byron lomax wrote: View Post
My So Called Life is probably my favourite teen show. I'm not a fan of the genre in general but loved this series. I like how some plot developments came up totally unexpected. The characters really grew on me over the course of the series too, even though at times the stupid decisions they made (naturally at that age) made me cringe.
Glad to see some love for MSCL in there.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 09:13 AM   #30
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I just finished the 1st season of Roswell. Of course, I already know how Season 2 ends. So every time Tess & Alex are in the same room together, I scream at the TV, "Get away from him, you bitch!"