TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 6 2009, 01:03 AM   #46
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI DVD - Preorder or not?

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
double posted. weird.
Yeah, if you pre-order it now, you can actually go and pick up whatever other Trek movie you purchase with it. Which might be bad if you don't want to make two trips (in which case, you might want to wait until a little closer to order).
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 01:03 AM   #47
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

24thcenstfan wrote: View Post
MvRojo wrote: View Post
I want the pleasure of purchasing it in the store. I also hope to find a fullscreen version. I hate widescreen DVDs...which seems to be how they are made for the most part these days.
Why would you want fullscreen and lost close to 50% of the image?
Because I don't have a widescreen TV. I play widescreen DVDs, and it elongates the picture vertically making everyone look misshapened (and super skinny).
That's a setting issue with your player.

And here's Trek-related comparison of full screen vs. widescreen.
http://www.widescreen.org/examples/stfc/index.shtml
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 08:12 AM   #48
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

I am preordering the film on blu-ray from amazon.com!
Old November 6 2009, 12:11 PM   #49
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

Because I don't have a widescreen TV. I play widescreen DVDs, and it elongates the picture vertically making everyone look misshapened (and super skinny).
Can you not set your DVD player to output 4:3? You can in the ones I've checked (my mother's , my mother's in-law and mine, different brands).

Also, the actual aspect ratio as shown in cinemas is 2.35 - even at 16:9 (1.777) you're loosing a fair bit of the picture.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 01:06 PM   #50
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Because I don't have a widescreen TV.
That's no good reason to go with a inferior pan-and-scan version of a widescreen movie.

I play widescreen DVDs, and it elongates the picture vertically making everyone look misshapened (and super skinny).
Then you should probably check the settings of your DVD player and change the output signal for a 4:3 TV.

In general, I like that format anyway. I may lose some content, but it doesn’t really feel that way since “they” do such a good job formatting for fullscreen.
But that is not how a widescreen movie in intended to be watched.
These awful pan-and-scan versions destroy the framing and cinematography the director and DP have set up.

When “they” first started doing the widescreen movies,
You mean like in the 1930s/1950s?

they almost always had that black bar at the top and the bottom. I hear you can remove that now. However, before it always felt like they were cutting out content. I was coming out better with fullscreen. Whether I technically was…well, I prefer it visually regardless.
There was and never is any content cut out by those black bars. They only represent non-information on a 4:3 and even on 16:9 screen when the full width of the widescreen picture is displayed.
'Fullscreen' versions of any widescreen movie loose information/content, and a lot of.

Maybe in time when I update my TVs (not necessary right now), I will get on the widescreen bandwagon. Not right now though.
You'd still be decades too late.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 01:48 PM   #51
pah2602
Lieutenant Junior Grade

3Disc Blu-Ray with digital copy preordered since July

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/9...I/Product.html

It's priced @ €29.99 but I got it @ preorder price of €23.99
PreOrdered Season 7 of 24 and it arrived at the door the morning of the release date. Play.com are excellent.

Also - Check this out - Sweet

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/...k/Product.html
pah2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 02:08 PM   #52
ST-One
Vice Admiral

I pre-ordered the Blu Ray version of Star Trek when it became available and had it in my hands on release day, this November 2nd, Monday morning
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 03:06 PM   #53
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

I pre ordered the blu ray as my local store was expecting to sell out. However, because of their expectations, they ordered in bulk - I think they bought around 70 copies - so in the end there were still plenty on shelf on the day. On the upside though they ended up about ten dollars cheaper than I was expecting. Another bonus was that they called me and were selling a day earlier than the advertised release date.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 04:49 PM   #54
Woulfe
Commodore

People still don't know the difference between wide screen and full screen after all these years ?

That's so very sad....

Okay once more I'll put it into small words for the unenlightened.....

C I N I M A S C O P E [________]
Big huge rectangular movie screen

T V [__]
Square Screen

Okay, how do you fit massive rectangle into a square area ?

Well, you could cut off the sides of the 'scope film and pan & scan like a drunk director with a massive hangover....

Or you could just put black bars where there is no footage what so ever so the rectangle is in the middle of the square.....

THAT 2ND ONE IS WHAT WIDE-SCREEN MEANS ON DVD'S

Don't like the black bars, tough, even on 16x9 HDTV's you'll still get the black bars, yes they'll be SMALLER, but they'll still be THERE because even 16x9 isn't as big as 'scope is.

I know this becuse I just got a nice 16x9 HDTV & ST:TMP still had black bars at the top and bottom, gasp, go fig....

It didn't bother me because I know it was shot in 'scope and not in a 'standard' movie format.

Now if you've paying any attention, you've may have noticed even TV shows on a 'standard' TV have black bars, that's because they started shooting them in 16x9 and broadcasting them the same way as well.

Trying to escape any Wide Screen format is impossible nowadays, the entire world has moved to it, even ADS on TV do it, we've left 'standard' in the dust pretty much before the 'switch' the FCC required ALL the networks to do recently.

Disney's new feature length 'traditional' animated film that's on it's way to theaters will be in 'scope as well, heck the last several ones they did by hand were in that format too.

Computer Animated films can be 'manipulated' to fit a 'standard' TV screen, but that's not the point now. That practice will no longer be done as 16x9 is the new 'standard' as far as TV goes.

Wide-screen isn't something new, Hollywood's been making wide-screen movies for a very LONG time. Why ? To compete against what they saw as a threat to their bottom line, Television, and seeing as TV has been around from the late 1940's early 1950's we're talking 1/2 a century here.

This was long before the 2nd profit market from VHS & so forth came along to help Hollywood resell their films to the general public, so you can kinda see why they did what they did at the time.

They wanted films to be BIG events, so they made the films BIGGER then what you could see on TV any old day. This prompted the creation of several film formats, each owned by each studio back in the day, however CinemaScope (tm) became the industry standard in short time even with all the other formats that there were at the time.

ANYWAY, flash forward to VHS.

Now here came the problem, Hollywood decided that folks who didn't know any better wouldn't watch a film with black bars at the top and bottom, so they cut off the right and left sides of every film they put out on VHS back in the early days of VHS life. Film buffs weren't very happy about this practice.

Later on, Hollywood bowed down to the folks who complained about this practice, because DIRECTORS added their voices to that of the film buffs, as they wanted their work to be seen, all of it, not just the middle of it or whatever have you.

Now this is where the confusion started between folks that know better vs folks that didn't know better started. Folks that didn't know better started saying things like....

"Hey, this movie doesn't fill up my TV screen, it's black on the top and bottom where there should be footage located."

This is the main reason why there is a site on the 'net like www.widescreen.org in the first place to explain this stuff to the unenlightened, they also cover the multitudes of other formats that Hollywood played with back in the day.

Go ahead and check that site out, it's quite an eye opener.

I'm sure that site will be around to hold folks hands when they watch something like "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" on their wonderful 16x9 HDTV's and there's still these black bars there even tho' the TV is a wide screen TV....

Just remember, this whole thing started because TV was competing directly with movies back in the day.

- W -
* Who Also Film Historian Sometimes When It Come To This Stuff *
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 05:05 PM   #55
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
I pre ordered the blu ray as my local store was expecting to sell out. However, because of their expectations, they ordered in bulk - I think they bought around 70 copies - so in the end there were still plenty on shelf on the day. On the upside though they ended up about ten dollars cheaper than I was expecting. Another bonus was that they called me and were selling a day earlier than the advertised release date.

That's awesome! I've been scouting around on the internet checking prices. I thought they were creeping down here as well, but couldn't believe it.

I'm going to wait a few more days to pre-order mine from Best Buy (right now it's listed for $22.99. Amazon has it listed right now at 21.99) because i'll then get another $10 off another Star trek dvd or set. Everything i have right now is on DVD, but we do have a Blu-ray player...so i hope to upgrade another movie set.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 05:30 PM   #56
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Thank God I decided to go to the store today to pick up a blu-ray to watch tonight, otherwise I might not have known Star Trek has been released early in the Netherlands! So, instead of Gladiator, The Elephant Man or The Day The Earth Stood Still I shall be watching Star Trek in glorious high definition tonight!

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 05:31 PM   #57
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

brilliant hope you enjoy the film.
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 05:42 PM   #58
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Thank you. Circumstances prevented me from seeing the film more than one time at the theater, so this will be my second viewing!

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 05:45 PM   #59
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

Well you will enjoy it more won't you I have to wait until the 25th December to get my copy of Star Trek.
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 07:32 PM   #60
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I don't think i've ever preordered a DVD. Usually I just stroll into a best buy or somewhere and its almost always there.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote