Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 30 2009, 07:31 PM   #1
O'Dib
Commodore

Feature film BSG needs to be significantly different from both shows

I'm talking, bring back the cylon dinosaurs! And other alien races they enslaved.. like those giant bugs. They should set up the robot chase for the sequel. How 'bout this: Baltar gets captured by dinos, and the robots, in a bid to get rid of their overlords, have him develop a virus to kill them all. Then, as they all start dying horribly, Baltar delivers an offer of peace from the robots. Which is actually a trick for destroying the colonies (which he knew nothing about).

By the time we reach earth in the sequel, we discover that all intelligent lifeforms began their evolutionary path on earth, and their ancestral animals were transplanted to other worlds (mammals to Kobol, insects wherever, cylons too, etc) by the ships of light, in order to save them from some extinction event.. There you have it folks, the broad strokes. Thoughts?
Old October 30 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Feature film BSG needs to be significantly different from both sho

I'm sure that it will be different than either.
Old November 1 2009, 04:24 AM   #3
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I don't think it will ever come to fruition, personally.
Old November 1 2009, 05:33 AM   #4
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

It's pretty stupid to make a movie that diverges from the series that was already a divergence that just ended. The only way this movie should ever happen is if yes, it's different from both, and it's also at least 5 years from now.
Old November 1 2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Caliburn24
Commodore

The movie will be about the surprise attack on the Colonies and the Galactica gathering and escaping with the ragtag fugitive fleet. I demand epic space battles on a huge budget.

The question is whether that will be just the first act, or the entirety of the movie.

If Singer directs I think it'll be the entirety of the movie, paving the way for sequels. Which I am okay with.
Old November 1 2009, 06:35 PM   #6
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

The movie will be just what it has been said it will be... a modern feature-film continuation of TOS. There may be Ovions and other aliens in it, but I don't think the PTB would be dumb enough to have dinosaurs and stuff like that... that would just be juvenile and cheesy. This will be as "serious" as the campy original can get, meaning it'll most likely be the DeSanto/Singer version of BSG.

What remains to be seen, is not if this will honor the canon of TOS BSG, but if it will honor the canon of "Galactica 1980", lol.
Old November 1 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Kegg
Rear Admiral

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
The movie will be just what it has been said it will be... a modern feature-film continuation of TOS. There may be Ovions and other aliens in it, but I don't think the PTB would be dumb enough to have dinosaurs and stuff like that... that would just be juvenile and cheesy.
I really don't see how Ovions are less juvenile and cheesy than dinosaurs. Also, exotic alien monsters aren't unheard of in sci-fi films (the Star Wars prequels, Avatar), I wouldn't be that surprised if BSG got some.

The simplest way for this work to distinguish itself is to be a modern, big budget pure space opera adventure - it'd be following in the footsteps of the standard action/adventure formula the original TV series embraced, and instantly distinguishing itself from the gritty character drama TV show.

Basically, a BSG movie based on the original series both needs and wants to be J.J. Abrams' Star Trek. Which would be neat.
Old November 1 2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

Kegg is right. For a feature remake to work, it has to be like J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, not like Ronald D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica. There's no way a feature is going to be able to develop characters to the level of the series (or even to the level of just the miniseries), but it will be able to deliver on spectacle and action above and beyond what the television series was capable of.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old November 1 2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

^^^

So, Commander Adama will be kidnapped (or otherwise incapacitated) by the Cylons shortly after the first attack and 25-year old Apollo is in charge for most of the movie. In the end, he becomes the permanent commander of Galactica, while his father is promoted to President of the Quorum or something like that.

Also, in the new version Tigh (who's about 35, at the most) and Athena will be couple.
Old November 1 2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Candlelight
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
For a feature remake to work, it has to be like J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, not like Ronald D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica.
- Adama will lose every fight scene he's in.

- The Cylons will attack the colonials, not with a virus but with lens flares that blind the pilots.

- The futuristic Galactica will resemble a cross between an iPod store and a winery.
Old November 1 2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Oookaaay...

I kinda agree with the sentiment, that it wouldn't be bad to see a BSG that was wilder and weirder than either of the TV incarnations. How about a return to true killer robots rather than the waa waa waa liberal-guilt routine? What's wrong with having a race of giant intelligent bugs or robot dinosaurs?

I'd love to see a sci fi show with the imagination and insanity of Farscape. But not so much as a movie franchise, I'd like it on TV. And it doesn't have to be called BSG either.
Old November 1 2009, 11:15 PM   #12
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
I'd love to see a sci fi show with the imagination and insanity of Farscape.
God yes.

Seriously this is the one thing I want on TV more than anything and I will take it in any form. Sadly, nothing seems to be moving in this direction, not even those ephemeral and undetectable mysteries known as Farscape webisodes.

However, I really do want to see more big budget and elaborate space opera movies, as someone who as a kid considered watching the Star Wars Trilogy for the nine zillionth time or The Wrath of Khan once more as time well spent (I was a stupid kid, but one disgresses).

There are just some things you can't do on the small screen, and if there's to be a BSG film more in line with the original series, it may as well give us conventional galactic adventure and derring-do.
Old November 2 2009, 04:39 AM   #13
Candlelight
Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Oookaaay...

I kinda agree with the sentiment, that it wouldn't be bad to see a BSG that was wilder and weirder than either of the TV incarnations. How about a return to true killer robots rather than the waa waa waa liberal-guilt routine? What's wrong with having a race of giant intelligent bugs or robot dinosaurs?

I'd love to see a sci fi show with the imagination and insanity of Farscape. But not so much as a movie franchise, I'd like it on TV. And it doesn't have to be called BSG either.
Yeah, BSG didn't jump the shark but it did wave at it when they brought in the Cavils and the whole 'justification' for the genocide thing.

Why can't they just be a race of annihilators...?
Old November 2 2009, 04:47 AM   #14
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Because we wanted them more...interesting? Mindless annihilators been done already. Plus, with those two the only active players in the universe...me, I like it that they gave the Cylons depth, uncertainty and slowly developing chaos.

But for the film, I'd return to the ruthless, singleminded machines, though well characterized.
Old November 2 2009, 09:09 AM   #15
Candlelight
Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Because we wanted them more...interesting? Mindless annihilators been done already. Plus, with those two the only active players in the universe...me, I like it that they gave the Cylons depth, uncertainty and slowly developing chaos.

But for the film, I'd return to the ruthless, singleminded machines, though well characterized.
"We"? I didn't!

Think of the first two seasons before Cavil showed up. Before we got stuck on Bold and the Basestar. The Cylons were ruthless killers AND we got the humanoid Cylons.

Once Cavil showed up, it was like the Borg queen all over again. The Cylon 'collective' suddenly had a leader, and it all became about him, how he started the war, how he killed he final five, how he was the one behind the 'plan'.

He was interesting, but ultimately not needed.