RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 500
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 22 2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Alternate Endings for BSG (Spoilers)

First off, I got a kick out of this National Geographic cover...

Anyway, Ron Moore had other endings in mind for BSG. Here's one...

There was a point in the development process where we discussed the idea of the Galactica not being destroyed, but having somehow landed on the surface more or less intact, but unable to ever get into orbit again (the particulars here were never worked out, so don't ask how she made it down without being torn apart). We talked about them basically abandoning the ship and moving out into the world. Cut to the present-day, in Central America where there are these enormous mysterious mounds that archeologists have not been able to understand (it may have been South America, I can't recall the exact location, but these mounds really do exist). Someone is doing a new kind of survey of the mounds with some kind of ground-penetrating radar or something and lo and behold, we see the outlines of the Galactica still buried under the surface.
Read the full article here.

And here's another...
There was a different ending that we had, it was all about Ellen aboard the Colony. She was sort of turned by Cavil, because she found out that Tigh had impregnated Caprica Six, and that deeply embittered her. And she sort of became dedicated to the idea of destroying Galactica and the fleet out of revenge. And [she and Cavil] got Hera, and then the final confrontation became very personalized between Tigh versus Ellen, and should they forgive.

That was the story, generally speaking. We didn't have a lot more than just what I spun out to you, when the writer's strike hit. Over the course of the writer's strike, I rethought about it and thought, "That's not going to do it. It's not epic enough. It's not interesting enough." That's when we decided to start over, and reinvent the last arc of the show.
Read the rest here.
Old October 23 2009, 12:13 AM   #2
FreezeC77
Commodore

Re: Alternate Endings for BSG (Spoilers)

I kinda always wanted that Macross/Robotech ending where the Galactica ends up crashing down to the planet after all the battle damage it took and is unable to be repaired and take off again and becomes the central location for the start of a new society.

Although the Pyramids nod would have been pretty cool.
Old October 23 2009, 12:39 AM   #3
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I kinda always wanted that Macross/Robotech ending where the Galactica ends up crashing down to the planet after all the battle damage it took and is unable to be repaired and take off again and becomes the central location for the start of a new society.

Although the Pyramids nod would have been pretty cool.
+1

I like the ending we got, but (there's always a but), I would have liked for them to land on Earth but not our Earth with a Macross style end for the Bucket.

Another way I would have went, a sort of a call back to the end of the oringinal BSG, is a cut to the moon-landing and then have them look up to find the wreck of the Galactica on the surface.

Though, I've always been partial to the ideal that she didn't get destroyed that at the last minute Anders flanked her and she's still out in the Ort cloud on what have you waiting for the day she's needed.

What can I say, I'm attached to the ship.

Last edited by SeerSGB; October 23 2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old October 23 2009, 02:12 AM   #4
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

I like the central america idea especially if they intended her to break up in the atmosphere upon reentry and as it twist, she survived to reach the surface.
Old October 23 2009, 02:25 AM   #5
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

This isn't the first time RDM has mentioned this alternate ending. In fact, he talked about it quite extensively in the Daybreak podcast, and we discussed it a little over here.

Agent Richard0'Lantern wrote: View Post

And here's another...
There was a different ending that we had, it was all about Ellen aboard the Colony. She was sort of turned by Cavil, because she found out that Tigh had impregnated Caprica Six, and that deeply embittered her. And she sort of became dedicated to the idea of destroying Galactica and the fleet out of revenge. And [she and Cavil] got Hera, and then the final confrontation became very personalized between Tigh versus Ellen, and should they forgive.

That was the story, generally speaking. We didn't have a lot more than just what I spun out to you, when the writer's strike hit. Over the course of the writer's strike, I rethought about it and thought, "That's not going to do it. It's not epic enough. It's not interesting enough." That's when we decided to start over, and reinvent the last arc of the show.
Read the rest here.
Old October 23 2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

"Coffee Chain Vanishes..."
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 23 2009, 03:08 PM   #7
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
I like the central america idea especially if they intended her to break up in the atmosphere upon reentry and as it twist, she survived to reach the surface.
Sort has a "Noah's Ark was real" vibe to it. It would really hint heavily at that sort of story.
Old October 23 2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Saul
Rear Admiral

Had heard of the Ellen ending before but not the ending with the ship on the surface.
GallofreyanSith, i really like your idea because Buzz Aldrin had said he saw a UFO while in space.
Old October 23 2009, 03:15 PM   #9
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

TheGallifreyanSith wrote: View Post
BenRoethig wrote: View Post
Sort has a "Noah's Ark was real" vibe to it. It would really hint heavily at that sort of story.
And the thing is, it wouldn't have necessarily had to replace the current ending (with the exception of fleet being crashed instead of flown into the sun). You could have had the NYC scene and then go to a expedition in Peru the archeologist says he found something and we see Galactica's imprint on the screen.
Old October 23 2009, 04:24 PM   #10
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

It certainly would have left open some interesting sequel ideas.
Old October 23 2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

Which is probably why they avoided it. I doubt we'll see any true sequels to this version of Battlestar Galactica.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 23 2009, 06:18 PM   #12
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Well it wouldn't have been as clean as the all this has happened before mantra.

You don't want Earth II to base new technology on Colonial tech when they should come by it on their own naturally (we need FTL drives tho damnit!)
Old October 25 2009, 12:34 AM   #13
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard, where'd you find that National Geographic cover? It's awesome!

The Galactica crashing would have been neat, but I don't know if I could have handled it. I had a hard enough time watching it first "break its back" (to paraphrase Tigh) then fly into the Sun with that tearful rendition of the original theme. Like TheGallifreyanSith, I'm very attached to that ship.
Old October 25 2009, 04:49 AM   #14
Agent Richard07
Admiral

S. Gomez wrote: View Post
It was on the same page as the first article. I just thought I'd repost it here.
Old October 25 2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

S. Gomez wrote: View Post

The Galactica crashing would have been neat, but I don't know if I could have handled it. I had a hard enough time watching it first "break its back" (to paraphrase Tigh) then fly into the Sun with that tearful rendition of the original theme. Like TheGallifreyanSith, I'm very attached to that ship.
Actually from what it sounds like Galactica was supposted to be intact after crashing/landing seeing as the overgrowth mound over it was going to be Galactica shaped.