RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,687
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 571
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old October 23 2009, 03:19 PM   #16
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Windows 7, annoying me already

AntonyF wrote: View Post
I can't disagree with you, but I play devil's advocate to myself. If I always retro it up, I'll never move forward. Also what if the old way is removed one day? It's important to try and update.
Still annoyed that in Windows 7 they ripped out the XP-style Start menu that didn't require a mouse to use.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 04:01 PM   #17
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Well I've changed the theme, and reduced the transparency of the taskbar which I find much better. I like my taskbar to feel more solid than the default.

Still sticking with this new style of taskbar. Do I find it intutiive? Not at all, still a backward step in my mind to not have stuff at a glance. Why bring in more mouse movement to see something that was just there before? But I am starting to adapt, and am finding it less annoying. So maybe I'll learn to keep it.

People were queueing for Windows 7, and Dixons here sold more in three weeks of Windows 7 than they did in a whole year of Vista. I am STILL stunned as to what has changed so much for this.

One feature i do like: aggregated my document folders.
Old October 23 2009, 04:20 PM   #18
ATimson
Rear Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
People were queueing for Windows 7, and Dixons here sold more in three weeks of Windows 7 than they did in a whole year of Vista. I am STILL stunned as to what has changed so much for this.
This probably doesn't explain the retail sales, but I know that since I built a new machine a month ago, I decided to hold off on getting Vista (even with the free upgrade, since Windows 7 won't let you do a fresh install of the upgrade versions) and instead ran the RC and picked up Windows 7 when it came out.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 06:15 PM   #19
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
This probably doesn't explain the retail sales, but I know that since I built a new machine a month ago, I decided to hold off on getting Vista (even with the free upgrade, since Windows 7 won't let you do a fresh install of the upgrade versions) and instead ran the RC and picked up Windows 7 when it came out.
Yeah this behaviour hasn't affected me before, but as I was thinking of getting myself a new laptop and my parents a new PC I started to think that I'd wait until Windows 7 was out.

Want to wait until I get a job too now.
Old October 24 2009, 03:36 AM   #20
TEH BABA
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA

Fast
Old October 26 2009, 03:50 AM   #21
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Forgive me, late to this thread, don't know if this might solve your issue or not, on your taskbar, right click and go to properties, then go to the drop down box that says Taskbar buttons: set it to "Never combine" This helps me locate things on my taskbar easier

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 10:16 PM   #22
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Well, I got Windows 7 Pro for free through MSDNAA, but I do have one question (which I also posed in TNZ):

I don't see any major differences so far, except for one annoyance:

Sometimes, I watch TV on my primary display which means that it is at times "hidden" (my main display has a DVI in from my PC and also a HDMI in from the media receiver with which I view IPTV).

Now, I'd start say Firefox and it would open on that display I'm not seeing right now. In that case, I used to simply right-click on the task bar and select move (or restore+move), then dragging the window to another display.

However, with the Windows 7 taskbar, that doesn't work. Does anyone know how I can get that functionality back?
Another annoyance got solved when I selected "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar".

Edit: Since I've encountered a few questions so far about what exactly is my problem, maybe this more thorough explanation helps:
Shuriken wrote: View Post
I don't know. I get that menu whenever I right-click on a window. Maybe it's just the program you're using to watch TV?
Yeah, I get that menu whenever I right-click on a window's bar, my problem is when that window is on a display that is not currently active.
In Vista and XP I used to be able to right-click on the taskbar itself, where the, say, Firefox 'thingie' was visible and do that even if the window was not visible (due to being on an inactive display) since the task bar is on the left-side monitor.
Right now, if I click on the Firefox icon, I only get a choice of "Firefox" (start another instance), "Unpin this program from the taskbar" or "Close window".

What I'm looking for is an option to restore and move the window in question.

It's definitely not an issue with the "TV program" since it's not really related to that at all (ie it's not a program running on my PC). It would be the same problem if that display was simply switched off. I have a triple monitor setup and the middle monitor doubles as my TV. If I want to use that monitor as a TV, I simply switch the input signal from DVI (connected to the PC) to HDMI1 (connected to the media receiver) using my remote control. I hope that description helps clarify the problem.

Edit: Maybe this image helps, just imagine the middle part of the picture (ie the middle monitor) is switched off:

And now imagine that I want to move that Firefox window to the monitor on the left (or right). I first have to 'restore' it and then 'move' it. My question is how can I do that (aside from keyboard shortcuts)?

(The black bars occur because I have a 1280x1024+1920x1200+1680x1050 desktop and they are aligned at the bottom.)

Last edited by Iasius; October 29 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Iasius is offline   Reply With Quote