MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 5 2009, 10:16 PM   #1
TyberiusDeAngelo
Lieutenant

Nu-Kirk and family

Though we will probably never get to see this, I wonder how Kirk in this AU would be as a husband and father to Carol Marus and David. Given that Kirk did not have a father-figure in his life growing up, I wonder if he would allow David to grow up without a dad as the prime-Kirk did. Might be interesting to explore how Kirk managed exploring the galaxy and balanced a family life. Just an idea that popped into my head today and wanted to see what other people thought. Cheers!
TyberiusDeAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: Nu-Kirk and family

I got the impression that Kirk-Prime wanted to stay as a father figure, but it was Carol who told him to butt out. If NuCarol is somewhat the same, NuKirk might be asked to butt out too.
Old October 6 2009, 02:06 AM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

nuKirk does not seem like the type who would, or could, ever be a father.
Old October 6 2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Neither did Kirk-Prime during the run of the original series.
Old October 6 2009, 09:31 PM   #5
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

TyberiusDeAngelo wrote: View Post
Though we will probably never get to see this, I wonder how Kirk in this AU would be as a husband and father to Carol Marus and David. Given that Kirk did not have a father-figure in his life growing up, I wonder if he would allow David to grow up without a dad as the prime-Kirk did. Might be interesting to explore how Kirk managed exploring the galaxy and balanced a family life. Just an idea that popped into my head today and wanted to see what other people thought. Cheers!
I wouldn't be so sure. Orci and Kurzman originally wanted to have a cameo appearance by a younger version of Carol Marcus, but decided against it because of the time limits and because it wasn't essential to this movie. But this might suggest that they had/have plans to have Carol appear in a substantial role in one of the sequels.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I Got A Rock wrote: View Post
I think he did. Kirk of TOS wasn't the snotty, immature jerk that nuKirk is.
Old October 6 2009, 11:51 PM   #7
TyberiusDeAngelo
Lieutenant

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
TyberiusDeAngelo wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Orci and Kurzman originally wanted to have a cameo appearance by a younger version of Carol Marcus, but decided against it because of the time limits and because it wasn't essential to this movie. But this might suggest that they had/have plans to have Carol appear in a substantial role in one of the sequels.

That would be interesting
TyberiusDeAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 04:02 AM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps nuKirk will never meet Carol, because he apparently hasn't met Gary Mitchell - and Gary set Kirk and Carol up in the first place.
Old October 8 2009, 02:53 AM   #9
Spork111
Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps nuKirk will never meet Carol, because he apparently hasn't met Gary Mitchell - and Gary set Kirk and Carol up in the first place.
Possibly. However, we don't know for sure that's who Gary Mitchell was talking about - he just says "that little blond lab technician." For all we know, that could have been Ruth from "Shore Leave" or even someone else.

Anyway, I'm not sure what direction they're going to go with nuKirk's love interests. He had that fling with Gaila in XI, but I'm going to guess that's all that was and it was really there to satisfy demand that Kirk get it on with a green alien woman. (BTW, I'm really glad they cut out the subplot about Kirk using Gaila to cheat on the Kobayashi Maru - now THAT would have been immature.)

I heard that the writers initially had a scene with a young Jim and Carol in Iowa, but that it was cut out. So it seems there's at least an interest in bringing Carol into the story, but TPTB may opt to have different love interests. After all, he's got a reputation to uphold, not to mention it adds a little freedom to write new characters. They could even do something like Janice Rand, although that's really tricky in this day and age. Kirk having a relationship with his glorified secretary may not be very well received in this day and age. Hell, even back in TOS, it was only mildly flirtatious - whatever the ultimate intention was.
Old October 11 2009, 06:09 PM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

It was never made clear during TOS whether Jim Kirk's parents were alive. Non-canon fiction depicts the father as a Star Fleet officer who dies in the service, A corrupt security officer, even a ambitious Iowa politician. In the prime universe it's possible that Kirk senior was alive well into the movie era.

Mitchell's referances made Kirk sound serious as a younger man, unlike Pine's character. The presence of a father may have been the difference.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 10:34 PM   #11
PhasersOnStun
Lieutenant Commander

Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Gaila and Kirk; you never know, if Pike is his father figure in nuTrek, maybe young Kirk inherited a thing for green women, a la The Cage era Pike...
PhasersOnStun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 05:30 AM   #12
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I Got A Rock wrote: View Post
I think he did. Kirk of TOS wasn't the snotty, immature jerk that nuKirk is.
Who is to say that NuKirk can't grow into that? Also to keep in mind, that we meet NuKirk 8 years or so before we met Kirk-Prime.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
It was never made clear during TOS whether Jim Kirk's parents were alive. Non-canon fiction depicts the father as a Star Fleet officer who dies in the service, A corrupt security officer, even a ambitious Iowa politician. In the prime universe it's possible that Kirk senior was alive well into the movie era.
Well, Spock-Prime did mention how Kirk's dad was alive at least until Kirk took command of the Enterprise.
Old October 21 2009, 05:36 PM   #13
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

I think Carol as the love interest of young Captain Kirk could still fit, Starfleet gave the wild fatherless young Kirk the discipline and self confidence to attract Carol now after his academy years. Carol could be a Starfleet officer, young, brilliant, in the science department, on board the USS Enterprise. Marcus and Kirk fall passionately in love during the course of the next film and eventually Carol decides that because of tragic or dangerous events that occur during the course of the film that Starfleet isn't for her and resigns to pursue a career as a scientist. Knowing that being with Kirk would be impossible since he is in Starfleet she she decides that marriage with Kirk is out of the question.