Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Voyager?
I love Voyager, both it and DS9 are excellent 13 8.39%
I like Voyager, but I prefer DS9 56 36.13%
Voyager was okay, I have no strong feelings 27 17.42%
I disliked Voyager, DS9 was the superior show 42 27.10%
I loath Voyager, it ruined my life 10 6.45%
I'm not a Niner but I want to vote in this poll 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24 2009, 12:30 AM   #76
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: How do Niners feel about Voyager?

I voted "I like Voyager, but I prefer DS9."

The show had enough issues and problems to fill several runabouts, but on the whole, I still liked it more than I disliked it. And I think some of the problems stemmed from inconsistency within the staff: looking back, it seems like several of the primary writers at various points in the shows life had different ideas about where to go with certain characters, storylines, etc. That and a general lower level of quality of writing in general from the entire writing staff when compared to TNG or DS9 (IMO, naturally) led to a lot more weak episodes, and (more importantly when discussing the flaws of the show as a whole) severe inconsistency, particularly when it came to Janeway. Meddling from UPN and Rick Berman's frustrating insistence that they "play it safe" and not push the boundaries (on a show that - because of it's premise - had the potential to push Trek's boundaries every bit as much as DS9 did) didn't help matters.

I enjoyed it more often than I hated it (though I was often just indifferent to it, especially during the first 3 seasons), but it could have been SO much more.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 12:38 AM   #77
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
There are two people who think that Voyager ruined their life?
I was wondering about that, myself.

Soul of Saito wrote: View Post

The show had enough issues and problems to fill several runabouts, but on the whole, I still liked it more than I disliked it. And I think some of the problems stemmed from inconsistency within the staff: looking back, it seems like several of the primary writers at various points in the shows life had different ideas about where to go with certain characters, storylines, etc. That and a general lower level of quality of writing in general from the entire writing staff when compared to TNG or DS9 (IMO, naturally) led to a lot more weak episodes, and (more importantly when discussing the flaws of the show as a whole) severe inconsistency, particularly when it came to Janeway. Meddling from UPN and Rick Berman's frustrating insistence that they "play it safe" and not push the boundaries (on a show that - because of it's premise - had the potential to push Trek's boundaries every bit as much as DS9 did) didn't help matters.

I enjoyed it more often than I hated it (though I was often just indifferent to it, especially during the first 3 seasons), but it could have been SO much more.
This is what really gets me most about Voyager. They had so much potential to not just be "TNG in the Delta Quadrant", but that's what it ended up doing. What's maddening to me is that by the time the writing generally was better, they had long since dropped the intial premises of the show.

This is also why I don't think DS9's first season is that great compared to subsequent ones; many of the stories felt like TNG episodes that just got slapped onto DS9. When they started taking more advantage of their unique position, it got better. And I think the episodes where Voyager did that are among its best, too. Unfortunately, VOY didn't go into a trend of it, unlike DS9; it was just once in a while.

And I love TNG. But TNG is TNG. I want something different when I watch DS9 or VOY.

Last edited by RyuRoots; October 25 2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Fixed a few stupid typos
RyuRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 11:29 PM   #78
mattyhugh
Lieutenant Commander

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
There are two people who think that Voyager ruined their life?
I was wondering about that, myself.

Soul of Saito wrote: View Post

This is what really gets me most about Voyager. They had so much potential to not just be "TNG in the Delta Quadrant", but that's what it ended up doing. What's maddening to me is that by the time the writing generally was better, they had long since dropped the intial premises of the show.

This is also why I don't think DS9's first season is that great compared to subsequent ones; many of the stories felt like TNG episodes that just got slapped onto DS9. When they started taking more advantage of their unique position, it got better. And I think the episodes where Voyager did that are among its best, too. Unfrotunately, VOY didn't go into a trend of it, unlike DS9; it was just once in a while.

And I love TNG. But TNG is TNG. I want something different when I watch DS9 or VOY.
It didn't help that DS9's first season was full of TNG reoccurring characters.

"Hey look its Q and Vash!"
"ZOMG It is the Duras sisters."
"Ugh Lwaxana Troi"
mattyhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 02:21 AM   #79
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

^ Agreed.

In many ways, the best thing that ever happened to DS9 was the TNG movies and VOY...because those things kept Rick Berman occupied and as a result, Ira Behr and the writers had more freedom (even if they had to steal it) to take the show where they wanted.

DS9 season 1 is okay....and there are a few gems in there that give you a whisper of things to come. But until the show found it's own soul, it wasn't nearly as good as it ended up being later.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 10:58 AM   #80
apenpaap
Commodore

You know, when you look at the worst seasons of each of the Trek spinoffs, you'll notice in those seasons they were always trying to emulate other Treks: in TNG seasons 1-2 they were doing TOS, in DS9 season 1, VOY season 5-7 and Ent season 1-2 they were doing TNG.

Then again, ENT season 3 rocks, even though they were doing DS9.
Old October 25 2009, 11:43 PM   #81
TenLubak
Commander

Yeah i loved Deep Space Nine. My favorite Star Trek series. I hated Voyager. My least favorite show.
TenLubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 02:18 AM   #82
mattyhugh
Lieutenant Commander

Cat in a blender wrote: View Post
Heh, didn't Berman have some quote about "Star Trek has never done anything like this before."?
mattyhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 02:30 AM   #83
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

mattyhugh wrote: View Post
Heh, didn't Berman have some quote about "Star Trek has never done anything like this before."?
I think the exact quote was: "We're very pleased about having never done this before."*

*(unconfirmed)(needs citation)(bunch o' baloney)
Old October 26 2009, 03:36 AM   #84
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

mattyhugh wrote: View Post
Well, if he said we, since he had zero (or something like 0.00001%) involvement in DS9, he may be technically right.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 05:00 AM   #85
Anwar
Vice Admiral

That's another lie. He was just as involved in DS9 as he was in the other shows he produced until around S3 or so, and even then he was involved to certain degrees.

It was around that time the Fandom started using him as a scapegoat for everything they didn't like.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 05:15 AM   #86
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
That's another lie. He was just as involved in DS9 as he was in the other shows he produced until around S3 or so, and even then he was involved to certain degrees.

It was around that time the Fandom started using him as a scapegoat for everything they didn't like.
Associated Content interview with Nana Visitor:

Q: Rick Berman. Criticism of his handling of the franchise has been pretty severe. Some other Star Trek actors have said Rick Berman was never a hands on producer and rarely visited their sets. Was that the case with DS9?

A: Producers Michael Piller and Ira Steven Behr were my guiding lights in the show. And I adored and I will always adore them both.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 26 2009, 05:46 PM   #87
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Mighty big of him to say that, seeing how Moore and Behr have nothing but venom and hostility towards the guy for every last little thing.
Old October 26 2009, 05:51 PM   #88
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Mighty big of him to say that, seeing how Moore and Behr have nothing but venom and hostility towards the guy for every last little thing.
Quite a misunderstanding here. No, this was Nana Visitor answering (or not answering) to a question how she felt about Rick Berman, in an interview I linked to in the post above.

Interviewer's question: "Rick Berman. Criticism of his handling of the franchise has been pretty severe. Some other Star Trek actors have said Rick Berman was never a hands on producer and rarely visited their sets. Was that the case with DS9?"

Nana Visitor's answer: "Producers Michael Piller and Ira Steven Behr were my guiding lights in the show. And I adored and I will always adore them both."

What a way to say what she thought of him without actually saying it.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 26 2009, 05:57 PM   #89
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Yeah, more implications of him being the scapegoat for everyone.
Old October 26 2009, 06:01 PM   #90
urbandk
Commodore

Love DS9, hate Voyager. Voyager took everything that was bad about DS9 and amplified it. DS9 was the end of TNG era Trek for me. I more or less skipped Enterprise and Voyager.