RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 462
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Voyager?
I love Voyager, both it and DS9 are excellent 13 8.39%
I like Voyager, but I prefer DS9 56 36.13%
Voyager was okay, I have no strong feelings 27 17.42%
I disliked Voyager, DS9 was the superior show 42 27.10%
I loath Voyager, it ruined my life 10 6.45%
I'm not a Niner but I want to vote in this poll 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11 2009, 05:04 PM   #256
Alex1939
Captain

Re: How do Niners feel about Voyager?

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
Yes. I have seen ALL of TNG (including the movies), The X-Men movies, and Scrooge, as well as this stupid YouTube clip of him talking about a script full of naked women. And sorry...but I just don't see the range.
The original Dune? In that movie Stewart was more the hard soldier type and I thought he played it great. Granted he was younger.

In TNG we've seen Stewart cry, lose his mind, fall in love, laugh out loud, it was all convincing to me.

PKTrekGirl wrote:
But those things are definitely NOT the same as "bad-ass" or "out of control". I just don't see him completely losing control convincingly - not in anything I've seen.
So you didn't like his performance in the TNG episode "Sarek"?

PKTrekGirl wrote:
And that STUPID YouTube skit I've seen of him talking about naked women in about every sentence. Completely unconvincing and made him look like a moron that was trying too hard to be funny.

But hey....like I said, your mileage may vary.

Yeah I don't really find Gervais or whatever funny at all, but that skit with Stewart I thought was hilarious.

Oh well, we all have different opinions, but to say Stewart is not a versatile actor, I don't think you'll find many that agree with you about that.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 05:32 PM   #257
VDCNI
Captain

I can kind of see where you're coming from with Patrick Stewart as he does play the stoic Brit characters very well and gets cast in those roles often.

However having seen him on the London stage so many times in recent years and having seen a different (sometimes radically different) performance each time I can't in any way agree that he's not a versatile actor. Certainly I'd put him well ahead of any of the other Trek captains.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2009, 12:50 AM   #258
Kegg
Rear Admiral

On the subject of Patrick Stewart being funny or not, he was downright hilarious in that episode of Frasier he was in. Granted, that's a bit of both of the two times of Stewart we've discussed here - he's an educated, stiff, classical Brit, and he's also flamboyantly gay. But my god is it a great guest performance or what? (Yes. Yes it is.) I can even forgive the episode for recycling the plot from a completely hysterical episode from the first season, Patrick's just that good.
Old January 1 2010, 09:46 PM   #259
Navaros
Commodore

I don't like Voyager.

I get extremely bored watching it.

The lack of any character development (maybe a little bit for Seven and the Doc but that is about it) and ongoing story whatsoever, combined with the lack of conflict, combined with abandoning the premise by the end of the first episode, combined with the stories themselves being dreadfully boring and having little to no artistic merit (ie: holodeck love interests, singing clown etc. etc.) destroys the potential of the show to have any entertainment value for me.

I do not see what is good about Voyager, other than a couple of very, very rare diamonds in the rough which are excellent episodes, like Think Tank and The Void. The excellent episodes are so few, and buried under so many unentertaining episodes, that IMO it is like they are excellent in spite of being Voyager episodes rather than because of being Voyager episodes.

I would make almost exactly the same criticism for TNG as well, which IMO has the same flaws is no better than Voyager.

Last edited by Navaros; January 1 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 11:25 PM   #260
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Wonderful, the one who proved my argument finally showed up...

Or rather, the one most triumphant example out of others.

Last edited by Anwar; January 2 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 02:29 AM   #261
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
the one
I think this says it all.
Old January 2 2010, 03:12 AM   #262
crouteru
Captain

Voyager seems to get a little worse each time I watch it, but I still like it. It's no DS9 though. I guess it's nostalgia that makes me like the series more than I should.
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote