Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Voyager?
I love Voyager, both it and DS9 are excellent 13 8.39%
I like Voyager, but I prefer DS9 56 36.13%
Voyager was okay, I have no strong feelings 27 17.42%
I disliked Voyager, DS9 was the superior show 42 27.10%
I loath Voyager, it ruined my life 10 6.45%
I'm not a Niner but I want to vote in this poll 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 4 2009, 11:48 PM   #181
J. Allen
効率はマジックである

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: How do Niners feel about Voyager?

flemm wrote: View Post
I'm sure that other thread was entirely different in every respect and that you conducted yourself in a mature manner from start to finish. Truly you are an example to us all, a shining light of the forums
I am a bespectacled beacon of light.

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 01:39 AM   #182
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
Apparently the fringe you think I was a part of was more than a fringe as well, though I do agree that TrekBBS has some really vocal minorities. I never ran into TOS fans who hated the rest of Trek until I came here.
Well I've met people who only really liked the first series (and vice versa, folks who are just fans of the newer shows - or even just DS9), but yeah, I haven't met anyone who loathed TNG. Probably because they weren't as darnedly passionate as a lot of netizens are, I'd suppose.
Yep, it wasn't until I came here and sometimes at spacebattles I ran into those who outright HATED TNG (and usually, the rest of Modern Trek). It seems to be that in order to not be a "throwback" you can only enjoy DS9 as a modern sci-fi show. Nevermind that the other series had just as much stuff relevent to "modern sci-fi".

Heck, you should see the flame wars about what was better: Pre-Crisis DC or Post-Crisis. Especially when it comes to Superman.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 05:48 AM   #183
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Yep, it wasn't until I came here and sometimes at spacebattles I ran into those who outright HATED TNG (and usually, the rest of Modern Trek).
You're using that forum as a measuring point of comparison to "fandom"?
Old November 5 2009, 07:20 AM   #184
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

Here's what I don't understand. So what if some people who like DS9 hate Voyager, Enterprise, and the Next Generation? So what if there are some people who only like the original series? It's not a crime. It's not an atrocity. It's not illegal, immoral, or anything else reprehensible. It's a matter of taste. If a matter of taste is something worth getting one's knickers in a wad over, I would argue that perhaps life isn't interesting enough or busy enough for some people. There are some very real issues with huge impact on people's lives to worry about and defend others against. Taste in TV shows isn't one of them.
Old November 5 2009, 07:39 AM   #185
J. Allen
効率はマジックである

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

PSGarak wrote: View Post
Here's what I don't understand. So what if some people who like DS9 hate Voyager, Enterprise, and the Next Generation? So what if there are some people who only like the original series? It's not a crime. It's not an atrocity. It's not illegal, immoral, or anything else reprehensible. It's a matter of taste. If a matter of taste is something worth getting one's knickers in a wad over, I would argue that perhaps life isn't interesting enough or busy enough for some people. There are some very real issues with huge impact on people's lives to worry about and defend others against. Taste in TV shows isn't one of them.
Well stated, PSGarak.

You know, I have my issues with VOY and don't like the show itself, but there are some moments in it that I do like. It's not like I, or most other people, start out wanting to dislike a show, we just end up disliking it. I LOVE DS9. I love every moment of that show, every character, every scene, it's like a home for me. And yet, there are people who can't stand 5 seconds of that show. You know what? I'm fine with that. That doesn't bother me, and it shouldn't. It's a television show (as much as I wish it were real).

J.
Old November 5 2009, 07:50 AM   #186
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

I liked a lot of moments in Voyager. I liked some of the episodes. Overall, the series didn't hold my attention. I don't think people who do like the series are idiots or wrong. They have different taste from me. It's not a big deal.

I love DS9, but I felt that some episodes were weak, as was some of the acting, as were some characters. I've expressed my displeasure with several things about DS9. I have no problem that others think it's perfect or others hate it. That doesn't bother me either. I fail to see how taste in a TV show can be offensive in any way.
Old November 5 2009, 07:55 AM   #187
J. Allen
効率はマジックである

I liked a lot of moments in Voyager. I liked some of the episodes. Overall, the series didn't hold my attention. I don't think people who do like the series are idiots or wrong. They have different taste from me. It's not a big deal.

I love DS9, but I felt that some episodes were weak, as was some of the acting, as were some characters. I've expressed my displeasure with several things about DS9. I have no problem that others think it's perfect or others hate it. That doesn't bother me either. I fail to see how taste in a TV show can be offensive in any way.
I think it boils down to wanting to be right. When some people like a television show, they create unrealistic standards by which they judge everyone else. If you don't like the show, then you're just stupid/unsophisticated/elitist/a basher, and anything you say is ignored. This happens in just about everything regarding people, including politics, the idea being that if you don't like it, "you must be wrong, because I like it and I'm right".

J.
Old November 5 2009, 08:43 AM   #188
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

At least with politics, I can see it making more sense. Politics often have a very deep impact on the lives of people living under whoever is in charge. TV shows...not so much.
Old November 5 2009, 08:47 AM   #189
J. Allen
効率はマジックである

At least with politics, I can see it making more sense. Politics often have a very deep impact on the lives of people living under whoever is in charge. TV shows...not so much.
Politics are TV shows anymore, anyway. People don't vote for their rights and for their voice, they vote for "the protagonists", whomever they may be. Politics have become a sports game, a television show, nothing but "which side wins", as if a television drama being played out. I believe it is part of the reason why our perceptions have changed as much as they have. TV lets us bring flights of fancy into reality, to a degree, and we get angry when that "reality" is shattered. The same applies to TV.

J.
Old November 5 2009, 11:03 AM   #190
flemm
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post

J.
I think it is time I revealed my true identity and purpose to you.

I am a member of a rogue organisation that has existed since the founding of the internet. Our mission: to neutralize all threats to e-civilisation, such as amateurish flame wars, unreadable walls of text and abusive use of smiley icons by any means necessary, unfettered by the constraints of conventional morality and forum etiquette.

Your psychological profile and posting history suggest you would make a promising agent. Will you join us?

Last edited by flemm; November 5 2009 at 01:07 PM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 11:16 AM   #191
J. Allen
効率はマジックである

J.
I think it is time I revealed my true identity and purpose to you.

I am a member of a rogue organisation that has existence since the founding of the internet. Our mission: to neutralize all threats to e-civilisation, such as amateurish flame wars, unreadable walls of text and abusive use of smiley icons by any means necessary, unfettered by the constraints of conventional morality and forum etiquette.

Your psychological profile and posting history suggest you would make a promising agent. Will you join us?
Can I wear a hat with a feather in it?

J.
Old November 5 2009, 02:02 PM   #192
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Go for a Fedora with a feather in it, for the extra class .
Old November 5 2009, 02:22 PM   #193
flemm
Fleet Captain

Can I wear a hat with a feather in it?

J.
I'm afraid not. All clothing, including undergarments, must be regulation black leather only. We've been trying to get authorization for casual Fridays for a while now, but management is proving to be resistant to the idea, "centuries-old tradition," "we labor in the shadows," blablabla, the usual arguments.

You can probably get away with wearing your Captain Planet boxer shorts every once in a while, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 03:01 PM   #194
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Huh, wouldn't "laboring in the shadows" work better if you WEREN'T wearing black leather? Stuff squeaks after a while.
Old November 5 2009, 05:43 PM   #195
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I am a member of a rogue organisation that has existed since the founding of the internet. Our mission: to neutralize all threats to e-civilisation, such as amateurish flame wars, unreadable walls of text and abusive use of smiley icons by any means necessary, unfettered by the constraints of conventional morality and forum etiquette.
Do you also neutralise those who type everything in lower case? If so I would consider donating half my fortune to your organisation.