Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 24 2009, 07:12 AM   #1
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

New Cirroc Lofton/Jake thread

Since the other one got shut down, I figured I'd start a new one. The discussion of the character was shaping into an interesting one. I always liked the character of Jake, largely because of how realistically he was portrayed and for how the actor grew so well into the role. He was one of the few recurring kid characters on any show I found not only tolerable but enjoyable. The writers got it right in not treating him like a plot device but letting him be a person in his own right.
Old October 24 2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: New Cirroc Lofton/Jake thread

(refrained from posting in the other one when it was so hopelessly derailed, so...)

How can you not give Jake props? The guy got his mack on with a Dabo Girl!
Old October 24 2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I would like to add back the last on-topic point I made that unfortunately never got answered because of the...derailment.

Someone expressed displeasure with the risk-taking behavior Jake showed in the pursuit of a story, once he became a journalist and said that it was unrealistic. To which I said this:

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote:
Jake seemed barely in it, and half of the time he was in it, he was used quite well. The other half, well... come on, his "I need to put my life in danger because I'm a WRITER!" got old pretty fast.
I dunno...ever read Anderson Cooper's biography, and some of the reasons that he ended up as a war correspondent? It's actually pretty striking if you read about his early life...just like Jake, he suffered the loss of a parent early in life, and in his case he also lost a brother. If you read the Wikipedia article, you almost find yourself wondering if some of the reason he went to the high-risk areas that he traveled to was to try and find answers to the questions that those incidents raised in his mind, when he was young.

Jake Sisko, too, has seen and experienced a lot. And to me, it actually doesn't seem so unreasonable given this real-life precedent, that he might feel driven to the same kind of risk-taking behavior that Anderson Cooper has.
(BTW, by "seen and experienced a lot", I meant "a lot of rough stuff." But I can't go back and edit in the original thread now.)
Old October 24 2009, 08:00 AM   #4
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

Ah! I never could see exactly where your point came from in that thread, but I have to say to a large degree what you said makes sense. Many people who are passionately drawn to journalism and to pursuing it in the more dangerous situations have faced tragedy in their lives, often when young. It's not thrill seeking or adrenaline addiction. It seems to be a more deep seated need to find answers in a larger context. Universal truths, so to speak.
Old October 24 2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

One of the major times they dropped the ball with Jake was not giving him a farewell scene with his father. After all they went through Sisko not appearing to his son, or dragging him into the vision Kasidy had felt wrong. Particularly given what Ben knew he son did in an alternate timeline to save him. You can do that and still have the final scene with Jake and Kira looking out of the upper promenade window at the wormhole.

On the other hand, if they did we might not have got my favourite of the DS9 relaunch novels: Rising Son.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Jake was the best handled kid on Star Trek. I always think that he wasn't used enough, especially in Season 7, when he was a recurring character in all but name, but then if he was used more, the writers wouldn't really know what to do with him all the time. As it stands, of the 5 Jake episodes we got, the Muse was a dud, Valiant and In the Cards were about his and Nog's friendship, a friendship that worked very well over the series run, and The Visitor and Nor the Battle were pure gold. They also happen to be my 2 favourite episodes of all Star Trek.

Particularly in Season 7, there were many times where Jake should have been used, without messing up the story. The first one that springs to mind is Badda-Bing, where his father, his father's girlfriend, best friend, and the rest of the main cast are going to the holosuite, I don't see where Jake is during all of this, especially since he's been to Vic's before, more times than his dad anyway.
Old October 24 2009, 11:18 AM   #7
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

I for one, did like what happened with Jake's character. He was able to follow his own destiny.

As PKTrekGirl mentioned what happened in 2001/2002, as I joined around that time. It was part of the reason why I didn't post much in the trek forums then.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Enabran Tainted wrote: View Post
Ah! I never could see exactly where your point came from in that thread, but I have to say to a large degree what you said makes sense. Many people who are passionately drawn to journalism and to pursuing it in the more dangerous situations have faced tragedy in their lives, often when young. It's not thrill seeking or adrenaline addiction. It seems to be a more deep seated need to find answers in a larger context. Universal truths, so to speak.
Exactly. When I saw Anderson Cooper interviewed about it, that's very much how he put it--that it was a way of seeking answers.
Old October 25 2009, 02:44 AM   #9
StarryEyed
Commodore

Jake was a good character exactly because he didn't follow in his father's footsteps.

It sure helped that Avery Brooks and Cirroc Lofton hit it off together and evolved a close real-life relationship. It really showed in a lot of episodes. They were very believable as father and son.
StarryEyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 06:17 AM   #10
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Normal kid.

Abnormal kid.
Old October 25 2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Tosk
Rear Admiral

My first reaction to Jake 'way back when' was, "Oh no...why does there always have to be a kid?"

Little did I know that this time we would get a realistic kid played by a reasonably capable actor (who got much better as time went on) and one half of one of the most believable relationships in Trek history. (The strong bond between Cirroc and Avery really came through in their performances.)

And then you have the Jake/Nog friendship, moments from which often made me laugh out loud. (Not quite as good as the Miles/Julian friendship, but few are. )
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I think that this is quite likely the reason that Jake turned out the way he did. The writers had seen what a mess had been made of Wesley on TNG and set out to make things right with Jake on DS9.

Tosk wrote: View Post
My first reaction to Jake 'way back when' was, "Oh no...why does there always have to be a kid?"

Little did I know that this time we would get a realistic kid played by a reasonably capable actor (who got much better as time went on) and one half of one of the most believable relationships in Trek history. (The strong bond between Cirroc and Avery really came through in their performances.)

And then you have the Jake/Nog friendship, moments from which often made me laugh out loud. (Not quite as good as the Miles/Julian friendship, but few are. )
And by right, I mean the style of relationships he had - specifically with his dad and his best friend. Both were quite believable because it seemed very real and natural. A credit also, no doubt, to the talent of Cirroc Lofton, who did get markedly better with each performance. He simply needed to get comfortable in Jake's skin which was something many of the other actors/characters had to do in that first year. I loved the early scenes with Nog; getting in trouble is typically what boys do. Watching him mature and develop over the seven years was also very real, particularly in the age ranges he went through over the course of the years. The DS9 novel relaunch played to his character strengths and kept things moving along nicely.

Byron
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 02:18 AM   #13
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I think that this is quite likely the reason that Jake turned out the way he did. The writers had seen what a mess had been made of Wesley on TNG and set out to make things right with Jake on DS9.
Wesley might not have been quite so bad if we got to see more of the downside of his intellect...if we really SAW the consequences of his social ineptness, perhaps, or if we saw him perhaps NOT taken seriously by adults even after turning out to be correct on more than one occasion, NOT granted a whole lot of unrealistic responsibility. But that's just me.
Old October 26 2009, 02:22 AM   #14
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Was I the only one disappointed when Jake didn't hook up with Ziyal?

It would have been a bit cliche, I suppose (too Romeo and Juliet?), but I was pulling for it.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 03:42 AM   #15
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

Kelso wrote: View Post
Was I the only one disappointed when Jake didn't hook up with Ziyal?

It would have been a bit cliche, I suppose (too Romeo and Juliet?), but I was pulling for it.
I think it would've made a lot more sense than Garak and Ziyal, frankly. They were just so far apart in age. I know that sometimes that does work even irl with people, but Jake and Ziyal would've seemed less forced to me.