RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,392
Posts: 5,358,303
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 570
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 5 2009, 08:24 AM   #121
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

T J wrote: View Post
Some of the ignorance in this thread is simply mind boggling. I'm half black and while and my quality of life has never been anything other than normal. It had no effect of how I was treated in any way.

The fact that this judge made this call is nothing more than him expressing how he sees the world, a world he knows nothing about. So yes he is a racist fucktard and anyone who defends him in any way is just as racist!

Anyone here wanna tell me I shouldn't have married my wife and that our kids would never be accepted by society?! Go right ahead and step up! I fucking dare any racist piece of shit!
Dude, chill. Even Juan said the guy's decision was wrong, he's just not convinced on his motive for doing so. No one is defending this judge's actions, so the anger is misplaced.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 08:56 AM   #122
T J
Commodore
 
T J's Avatar
 
Location: milky way... there abouts
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Perhaps you are right. Didn't mean to get overly hot about it. It is a touchy subject for me. Didn't mean anything personal to anyone here. Hopefully the next judge in that seat will have a better head in his or her shoulders.
__________________
One of the great revelations of space exploration is
the image of the earth, finite and lonely bearing the entire human species through the oceans of space and time. ~ Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
T J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 09:14 AM   #123
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

No worries. And I can certainly understand where your coming from and getting upset about it when such decisions hit close to home. Hell, it pissed me off too.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 10:33 AM   #124
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

T J wrote: View Post
It had no effect of how I was treated in any way.
I'm glad. You were most fortunate to have never found yourself under the power or at the mercy of someone who would hold your race against you. I'm really glad that kind of thing is starting to fade away.

So yes he is a racist fucktard and anyone who defends him in any way is just as racist!
A further example of just how casually and incorrectly such labels are thrown around. You are both incorrect in this assertion and very insulting.

Anyone here wanna tell me I shouldn't have married my wife and that our kids would never be accepted by society?! Go right ahead and step up! I fucking dare any racist piece of shit!
I don't think anyone here has stated such views. You shouldn't get so emotional and defensive about it.

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
It's obvious he has similar feelings and is just hiding behind his fake cloak of good intentions. That cloak masks his true feelings that whites and blacks shouldn't marry. That's the real reason he denied that marriage license.
That is pure speculation and supposition, inspired, I think, by a wide streak of paranoia regarding race relations in your character, particularly those between whites and non-whites. Other than the fact that racists have before hidden their true beliefs under such masks, there is no reason to think that of this man whatsoever. Quite frankly, you're pulling it out of your ass and shutting your eyes and your mind to the possibility of simply taking him at face value.

And this is probably a reach, but perhaps this man was angered by Barack Obama's election, because it showed that his attitude was wrong, and he probably can't bear that.
You're right, that's a big reach. But then again so is your supposition that he's a racist hiding his true motivations.

It's quite simple. He's a racist fool who is masking his true intentions. You've made a simple situation a convolulted one.
Actually, mine is the simpler explanation. I take his word at face value as I have no way of knowing his inner beliefs for certain. You, on the other hand, seem compelled to slap him with labels based on conjecture about his character inspired by your seeming paranoia regarding racism. You have no evidence to back up your claims whatsoever. Not one iota.

Edit:

T J wrote: View Post
Perhaps you are right. Didn't mean to get overly hot about it. It is a touchy subject for me. Didn't mean anything personal to anyone here. Hopefully the next judge in that seat will have a better head in his or her shoulders.
No worries, man. We all get a little hot sometimes. And I agree, hopefully the next Justice won't allow his personal beliefs interfere with his duties.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:00 PM   #125
MarianLH
Fleet Captain
 
MarianLH's Avatar
 
Location: Lower decks
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Again - its not racism unless it stems from racial hatred or ideas of superiority/inferiority.

That's wrong. 1, 2

I know that some people feel a spinal reflex urge to buck the trend, to dislike what's popular, to stand apart from the unwashed masses. But this is one area where not going with the flow doesn't make you edgy, or "not sheep".

Racism is racism, however it's dressed up, and regardless of whether it stems from malice or ignorance. Some hairs do not need to be split.


Marian
__________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
--Bertrand Russell

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:46 PM   #126
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

MarianLH wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Again - its not racism unless it stems from racial hatred or ideas of superiority/inferiority.

That's wrong. 1, 2

I know that some people feel a spinal reflex urge to buck the trend, to dislike what's popular, to stand apart from the unwashed masses. But this is one area where not going with the flow doesn't make you edgy, or "not sheep".

Racism is racism, however it's dressed up, and regardless of whether it stems from malice or ignorance. Some hairs do not need to be split.


Marian
Strong buy, Marian! Glad to see there are some people who have sense on this board, unlike our buddy "Juan" who enjoys being a contrarian just for, as you say, the sake of splitting hairs. -- RR
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 05:02 AM   #127
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Marian, thanks for your input. I disagree, and your assumptions about my motivations are quite incorrect. But thank you for playing.

As for you, Red Ranger, you're once again incorrect, as usual. I disagree because I think you and your ilk are wrong to assume this man in racist. I "split hairs" because my advanced and super-powerful mind is apparently capable of taking into account more variables than yours. This coupled with my lack of your seeming compulsion to judge, file people into neat little pigeonholes, and make grand and sweeping assumptions based of prejudice and paranoia led me to my conclusions.

I am not being contrarian for the sake of argument. I believe what I say just as much as you do. If you don't like it, that's too bad, but I won't lose any sleep over it. All my life I've had to deal with people who throw stubborn fits when I'm right and they're wrong. It ceased to phase me a long time ago.

If you want to keep debating this point, please feel free to keep posting. I'll go tit-for-tat with you on this matter til the sun collapses in on itself. No problem at all.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 05:41 AM   #128
Ward Fowler
Commodore
 
Ward Fowler's Avatar
 
Location: Lucerne's Parlor of Mystery
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

I think Juan Bolio has a point. I was reading the original article and I don't think the judge is racist. He says for instance:
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
Right in the quote he says he's not racist. Case closed. Now, I have to admit that although I know "piles and piles" of black people, I only have one close friend who is black but he's a very dear friend. When he enters my home I make it a point to tell him that he's allowed to use my bathroom. That's how I show him I'm not racist. I mean, if I'm going to let black people use my bathroom then at least I should get credit for "treating them like everyone else." Am I wrong?
So thanks for showing me the light Juan Bolio. You are a true hero of the downtrodden.
__________________
"Playing is for pleasure." -Master Shake
Ward Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 05:50 AM   #129
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

^I was about to yell at you, but then I realized what you're doing.

Anyhow, "I just don't believe in mixing the races that way" is just about the worst thing someone could say when trying to sell us on a lack of racism. Since Juan is so convinced we should let the judge's words speak for themselves, let's just mediate on his statement for a little bit, shall we?
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 02:10 PM   #130
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

None of that means he has racial hatred or ideas of superiority in his heart. All those ideas are still pure conjecture. You want to extrapolate a mountain out of a molehill? Be my guest. I'll sit here laughing at you and shaking my head.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 03:01 PM   #131
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
None of that means he has racial hatred or ideas of superiority in his heart. All those ideas are still pure conjecture. You want to extrapolate a mountain out of a molehill? Be my guest. I'll sit here laughing at you and shaking my head.
Of course not, he has black friends and he lets the good ones use his bathroom despite their black cooties getting everywhere. Not at all racist.

Oh, and, minor point, he doesn't believe in mixing the races, which of course has absolutely no basis in believing it dilutes the purity of the white race or any other such nonsense that couldn't possibly be linked to believing in the superiority of one arbitrary racial characteristic over another. How quaint.

With every debate I fluctuate between thinking you are either the most incredibly naive person on Earth or monumentally fucking with everyone in your quest to earn the title of Captain Contrary. Neither option carries much in the way of credibility though.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 03:12 PM   #132
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
None of that means he has racial hatred or ideas of superiority in his heart. All those ideas are still pure conjecture. You want to extrapolate a mountain out of a molehill? Be my guest. I'll sit here laughing at you and shaking my head.
Of course not, he has black friends and he lets the good ones use his bathroom despite their black cooties getting everywhere. Not at all racist.

Oh, and, minor point, he doesn't believe in mixing the races, which of course has absolutely no basis in believing it dilutes the purity of the white race or any other such nonsense that couldn't possibly be linked to believing in the superiority of one arbitrary racial characteristic over another. How quaint.

With every debate I fluctuate between thinking you are either the most incredibly naive person on Earth or monumentally fucking with everyone in your quest to earn the title of Captain Contrary. Neither option carries much in the way of credibility though.
I have repeatedly conceded that he MIGHT be a racist and simply hiding his true motivations, so your points don't amount to much. Ultimately, however, there is no direct evidence for this. Until I see some I'll take him at his word, since it is indeed possible for someone to think and act as he did and not be a racist - a point which few here seem able to accept.

I'm not fucking with anyone - everything I say, aside from occasional bouts of glaringly obvious sarcasm, is serious and reflects what I actually think. As for being naive, well, I don't deny that I am idealistic, but I do tend to take all available factors into account. I just tend to think a bit outside conventional boxes and don't always come to popular conclusions, if I come to any conclusions at all.

Think what you want about me. Drawing conclusions about people you know very little about doesn't seem to be a problem for you, or many others.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 03:24 PM   #133
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Think what you want about me. Drawing conclusions about people you know very little about doesn't seem to be a problem for you, or many others.
It's a medium where one can only draw conclusions about you and your stance on various issues based on what you say.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 03:31 PM   #134
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Even so, why am I the subject here? This thread is about the actions and motivations of a person very far removed from me. If you want to get personal, why not take it to TNZ where the same topic is under discussion?

Is my stance on this and other controversial matters on which I didn't conform with the majority REALLY that offensive?
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 03:44 PM   #135
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Even so, why am I the subject here? This thread is about the actions and motivations of a person very far removed from me. If you want to get personal, why not take it to TNZ where the same topic is under discussion?

Is my stance on this and other controversial matters on which I didn't conform with the majority REALLY that offensive?
It's because you're wrong and want to argue semantics that aren't there. The bottom line is that we've all tried to explain it to you; however, we cannot understand it for you.
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
racism

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.