RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,901
Posts: 5,387,488
Members: 24,717
Currently online: 602
Newest member: teriankhoka

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 4 2009, 01:02 AM   #106
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 12:29 PM   #107
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

As well he should. This was not unexpected.

Still, I maintain that he was not an evil man nor a racist, and is being severely misjudged and misunderstood.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 03:01 PM   #108
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Apparently, in the UK 50% of children with 'african-carribean' parentage now come from a mixed race background. There was also a recent documentary on UK Channel 4 on the subject:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/i...-be-mixed-race

I think race is coming to fore over here because some MEPs were recently elected from the British National Party, who have a reputation for being racist and had to amend their constitution to avoid falling foul of race discrimination legislation.

Hilariously, they want to 'repatriate' people whose families moved to the UK before a certain date - I don't know what that date might be actually but I might be in the frame since my great grandather was French on my mother' side and my entire paternal family came from France in the 1700s (possibly with Jewish roots). I have no idea how the BNP would qualify ancestry from abroad as it relates to the mixed ancestry that almost all Britains have. Bonkers.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 03:26 PM   #109
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
As well he should. This was not unexpected.

Still, I maintain that he was not an evil man nor a racist, and is being severely misjudged and misunderstood.
Too bad both you and the Judge are wrong.
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 10:33 PM   #110
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

John Picard wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
As well he should. This was not unexpected.

Still, I maintain that he was not an evil man nor a racist, and is being severely misjudged and misunderstood.
Too bad both you and the Judge are wrong.
The Judge was wrong. I am not. Too bad you can't seem to comprehend that.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 10:46 PM   #111
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
John Picard wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
As well he should. This was not unexpected.

Still, I maintain that he was not an evil man nor a racist, and is being severely misjudged and misunderstood.
Too bad both you and the Judge are wrong.
The Judge was wrong. I am not. Too bad you can't seem to comprehend that.
Your opinion on the judge's personal motives based on his statement of not being a racist is no more factual than our opinions that he is based on his actions. Don't start pretending as if you have some inside knowledge all of a sudden.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 11:03 PM   #112
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
John Picard wrote: View Post
Too bad both you and the Judge are wrong.
The Judge was wrong. I am not. Too bad you can't seem to comprehend that.
Your opinion on the judge's personal motives based on his statement of not being a racist is no more factual than our opinions that he is based on his actions. Don't start pretending as if you have some inside knowledge all of a sudden.
It at least is based on available evidence and not conjecture.

There's also the fact that I'm usually right and people who oppose me are usually wrong.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 11:12 PM   #113
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
The Judge was wrong. I am not. Too bad you can't seem to comprehend that.
Your opinion on the judge's personal motives based on his statement of not being a racist is no more factual than our opinions that he is based on his actions. Don't start pretending as if you have some inside knowledge all of a sudden.
It at least is based on available evidence and not conjecture.
If personal statements proclaiming innocence without anything concrete to back it up were considered worthwhile evidence most of the people in prison would be free right now.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 11:15 PM   #114
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

His actions were wrong, and he has been judged and punished accordingly for those.

As for his motivations, most people on this board seem to be content to invent them as they see fit based on pure conjecture and stereotypes. I am not. Not everyone fits into neat little boxes.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 05:59 AM   #115
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

^Oh, d'you mean stereotypes like old judges who claim they're saving potential interracial children from hard lives? Racism disguised as good intentions is still racism. After all, look at poor Derek Jeter, who's been on several winning World Series teams, including this year's. If only he weren't half black! Geez. You're wrong and we're right. Majority rules! -- RR
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:24 AM   #116
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
^Oh, d'you mean stereotypes like old judges who claim they're saving potential interracial children from hard lives? Racism disguised as good intentions is still racism. After all, look at poor Derek Jeter, who's been on several winning World Series teams, including this year's. If only he weren't half black! Geez. You're wrong and we're right. Majority rules! -- RR
Majority rules, huh? Guess that means gay marriage is wrong, based on the popular votes in 30 or so States.

Again - its not racism unless it stems from racial hatred or ideas of superiority/inferiority. There is no evidence suggesting that here - only your own suppositions.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:45 AM   #117
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Red Ranger wrote: View Post
^Oh, d'you mean stereotypes like old judges who claim they're saving potential interracial children from hard lives? Racism disguised as good intentions is still racism. After all, look at poor Derek Jeter, who's been on several winning World Series teams, including this year's. If only he weren't half black! Geez. You're wrong and we're right. Majority rules! -- RR
Majority rules, huh? Guess that means gay marriage is wrong, based on the popular votes in 30 or so States.

Again - its not racism unless it stems from racial hatred or ideas of superiority/inferiority. There is no evidence suggesting that here - only your own suppositions.
You proved my point with your last statement. Bardwell assumed that the kids from a union he didn't want to sanction would have an inferior life simply because they were mixed-race. So his racism does stem from notions of superiority/inferiority. -- RR
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:50 AM   #118
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Red Ranger wrote: View Post
^Oh, d'you mean stereotypes like old judges who claim they're saving potential interracial children from hard lives? Racism disguised as good intentions is still racism. After all, look at poor Derek Jeter, who's been on several winning World Series teams, including this year's. If only he weren't half black! Geez. You're wrong and we're right. Majority rules! -- RR
Majority rules, huh? Guess that means gay marriage is wrong, based on the popular votes in 30 or so States.

Again - its not racism unless it stems from racial hatred or ideas of superiority/inferiority. There is no evidence suggesting that here - only your own suppositions.
You proved my point with your last statement. Bardwell assumed that the kids from a union he didn't want to sanction would have an inferior life simply because they were mixed-race. So his racism does stem from notions of superiority/inferiority. -- RR
No, it stems from the correct perception that other people - not himself - often treat people of African descent poorly. His ideas on what to do about it are flawed, but his assessment of this fact is quite correct, and completely non-racist. He does not believe himself that they are inferior, merely that others will treat them as such.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 07:28 AM   #119
T J
Commodore
 
T J's Avatar
 
Location: milky way... there abouts
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Some of the ignorance in this thread is simply mind boggling. I'm half black and while and my quality of life has never been anything other than normal. It had no effect of how I was treated in any way.

The fact that this judge made this call is nothing more than him expressing how he sees the world, a world he knows nothing about. So yes he is a racist fucktard and anyone who defends him in any way is just as racist!

Anyone here wanna tell me I shouldn't have married my wife and that our kids would never be accepted by society?! Go right ahead and step up! I fucking dare any racist piece of shit!
__________________
One of the great revelations of space exploration is
the image of the earth, finite and lonely bearing the entire human species through the oceans of space and time. ~ Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
T J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 08:19 AM   #120
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Red Ranger wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Majority rules, huh? Guess that means gay marriage is wrong, based on the popular votes in 30 or so States.

Again - its not racism unless it stems from racial hatred or ideas of superiority/inferiority. There is no evidence suggesting that here - only your own suppositions.
You proved my point with your last statement. Bardwell assumed that the kids from a union he didn't want to sanction would have an inferior life simply because they were mixed-race. So his racism does stem from notions of superiority/inferiority. -- RR
No, it stems from the correct perception that other people - not himself - often treat people of African descent poorly. His ideas on what to do about it are flawed, but his assessment of this fact is quite correct, and completely non-racist. He does not believe himself that they are inferior, merely that others will treat them as such.
Your interpretation is incorrect, as usual. It's obvious he has similar feelings and is just hiding behind his fake cloak of good intentions. That cloak masks his true feelings that whites and blacks shouldn't marry. That's the real reason he denied that marriage license.

And this is probably a reach, but perhaps this man was angered by Barack Obama's election, because it showed that his attitude was wrong, and he probably can't bear that.

It's quite simple. He's a racist fool who is masking his true intentions. You've made a simple situation a convolulted one. Sure, life is complex, but this situation isn't one of them. I suggest you read T.J.'s post above.

Red Ranger
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
racism

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.