Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 21 2009, 10:43 PM   #91
JuanBolio
Admiral

Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

My magic 8-ball and my analysis say he might be, but based on what he says (since I can't read his mind) he is not. It isn't good enough for me as I am, whether I am sitting in a jury box (if simply being a racist was a crime) or posting my opinion on a BBS, to call him a racist. I try to hold myself to the same burden of proof all the time.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 10:51 PM   #92
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

We don't need to read his mind. His actions speak for themselves. He may have even convinced himself that he's not a racist, and I'm sure he'd say so if asked, but his actions have already proven that he is. The actions *themselves* are evidence.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 10:53 PM   #93
JuanBolio
Admiral

Not for me. Actions like these are not enough in my mind to make someone a racist, especially in the face of his stated motivations, which are not. Things just aren't that simple to me. If they are for you, then fine. But I cannot agree.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
Old October 24 2009, 06:52 AM   #94
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

This thread reminds me of something I've mentioned to my boss about someone we both know, who reminds me of my former boss' business partner. He would often say hateful or hurtful things, then laugh and say, "I'm not a bigot - I hate everyone equally." I never had the nerve to say it to him, but I will say it to this other person if he ever says anything hateful in front of me: "That's just a crutch you're depending on to allow you to say hateful things."

(I'm waiting to say it not because I don't believe the person who told me what he'd said - I believe that person implicitly - but because it would be out of the blue for me to say something like that without immediate cause.)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 06:56 AM   #95
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
He would often say hateful or hurtful things, then laugh and say, "I'm not a bigot - I hate everyone equally."
I think Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann from Full Metal Jacket also said that.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 10:09 AM   #96
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

A lot of people say that; the proper response is, "That makes you the worst possible kind of bigot."
Old October 24 2009, 03:43 PM   #97
Bluesteel
Commander

You know the easy way to solve this thing? Go to an another judge. Why cause all of this fuss just to get married. If he does get fired your losing an experienced judge who could be useful in cases that doesn't involve race.
Bluesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 07:59 PM   #98
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

If he can't do his job and can't obey the law, he needs to be fired.
Old October 24 2009, 09:26 PM   #99
JuanBolio
Admiral

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
If he can't do his job and can't obey the law, he needs to be fired.
True, no argument here. It is also true, however, that this guy was hardly being an insurmountable obstacle to interracial marriage.

Old October 24 2009, 10:45 PM   #100
paudemge
Captain

Bluesteel wrote: View Post
You know the easy way to solve this thing? Go to an another judge. Why cause all of this fuss just to get married. If he does get fired your losing an experienced judge who could be useful in cases that doesn't involve race.
Yea, it is easy to solve, fire him.
If his judgment is so flawed in this area, then I don't want his kind of experience. He has no business in any government position of authority.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 10:49 PM   #101
paudemge
Captain

Also it doesn't matter if he is a racist of not, he can't deny them services based on race. But if he does not advocate one race being inherently superior to another then by definition he is not a (admitted) racist.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 11:01 PM   #102
john titor
Captain

As a judge I would expect the finer points of his flawed logic wouldn't escape him. Also louisiana. Join the dots but don't jump to conclusions. I just think the reasoning is pathetic and whats more, it represents cowardice in the face of one of the most retarded aspects of human behaviour.
john titor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 06:39 AM   #103
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Bluesteel wrote: View Post
Yeah, quit making waves you uppity minorities and interracial couples. Just go with the flow and things will change on their own, except for the occasional justice of the peace who's trapped in a 1950s time warp. Seriously, that's the argument you want to go with? Just forget about it and move on?

Don't fire the judge because he might be good in non-racial cases? Does he segregate his docket so that he never rules on minorities being charged with misdemeanor crimes? Because I'm not too confident of his ability to remain impartial on that either.
Old November 4 2009, 12:28 AM   #104
Supreme Admiral
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Supreme Admiral Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Supreme Admiral Send a message via Yahoo to Supreme Admiral

Please excuse me for bring the thread back, but I have news confirmation that was informed by my friend. He just resigned.
Supreme Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 12:46 AM   #105
T J
Commodore

Good! Fucker!