RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 146,261
Posts: 5,762,948
Members: 25,917
Currently online: 387
Newest member: Varona

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

First Three 2016 Trek Novel Details
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Spock Documentary Close To Funding Goal
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Retro Review: Heroes and Demons
By: Michelle on Jun 27

Spock Die Cut Mouse Pad
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Trek Actors Get A Raise
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

San Diego Comic-Con Star Trek Uglydolls
By: T'Bonz on Jun 25

Trek 3 Vancouver Filming
By: T'Bonz on Jun 25

Yarnall’s Cancer Battle
By: T'Bonz on Jun 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 19 2009, 04:44 AM   #61
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
He feels that mixed couples will have children that will face adversity in their life that they otherwise wouldn't.
And he's only making it WORSE! They're facing adversity because of people like him.
__________________
"Pitching is simple -- cheese for the kitchen and a yakker for the kudo." - Dennis Eckersley
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:53 AM   #62
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
No, that's completely wrong. He is treating interracial couples differently from other couples. He is altering his behavior because of their races. That is racism.
I disagree. He treats mixed couples differently, yes, but he doesn't seem to treat one race worse than the other in themselves. Segregationist, yes, but I don't see any evidence of racism at all.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And he's only making it WORSE! They're facing adversity because of people like him.
He's not making it any better, that's for sure, but I think its a stretch to say he's making it worse. I think the people who make it worse, white and black, go a whole lot further than this guy's passive refusal to enable interracial marriage himself.

I know racism is a sensitive thing, and a lot of people love to throw the term around whenever someone, for whatever reason, takes any kind of action that may be seen as segregationist or even racially discriminatory, but I maintain these are separate things that often, though not always, go hand-in-hand. I know I'm not going to convince you guys that I'm right on this point, and you're not going to convince me. I've gotten a death threat this very evening for arguing this point in another forum, so in the interest of keeping everything civil I'm going to politely bow out of this one.

Good day.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:55 AM   #63
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Segregationist, yes, but I don't see any evidence of racism at all.
Same thing.

He's not making it any better, that's for sure, but I think its a stretch to say he's making it worse.
Also the same thing. Especially in a highly volatile area like this.

so in the interest of keeping everything civil I'm going to politely bow out of this one.
Instead of debating, you mean?
__________________
"Pitching is simple -- cheese for the kitchen and a yakker for the kudo." - Dennis Eckersley
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 05:01 AM   #64
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Instead of debating, you mean?
Its not going anywhere, friendo. We're arguing in circles now. You say its the same thing, I say its not... so on and so forth, and I've already argued this point for days elsewhere. I tire of this. He's going to be fired and he should be fired. The only thing I take issue with is calling him a racist. You know why, and I know why you disagree. Great. Fine. Lets move on.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 02:01 PM   #65
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Instead of debating, you mean?
Its not going anywhere, friendo. We're arguing in circles now. You say its the same thing, I say its not... so on and so forth, and I've already argued this point for days elsewhere. I tire of this. He's going to be fired and he should be fired. The only thing I take issue with is calling him a racist. You know why, and I know why you disagree. Great. Fine. Lets move on.
You're the one arguing in circles The guy refused to marry people of different races based on HIS opinion; therefore, his actions are racist. I can push it further and say they are Aryan of nature -- he believes (sic) blacks should only marry blacks, whites should marry only whites, Asians should only marry Asians; etc.

We've all tried to explain it to you; however, we cannot understand it for you.
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 02:24 PM   #66
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

F. Kreuger wrote: View Post
The guy refused to marry people of different races based on HIS opinion; therefore, his actions are racist.
No, they are segregationist. A racist believes that one race is inherently superior or inferior to another, or has a fundamental hatred of one or more races. What evidence for that do you see?

As for your "Aryan" theory - The so-called "Aryans" of the Third Reich were not the first or last people to embrace principles of genetic purity and eugenics. Furthermore their ideals were based around breeding supermen and having "uncontaminated" genetic lines, since they believed in racial superiority and inferiority. I see absolutely nothing in this guy's stated motivations that would line up with that. Your analogy is deeply flawed.

F. Kreuger wrote: View Post
We've all tried to explain it to you; however, we cannot understand it for you.


Dude, I understand all the points you're making just fine. I simply don't agree with them.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.

Last edited by JuanBolio; October 19 2009 at 02:47 PM.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 03:02 PM   #67
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
A racist believes that one race is inherently superior or inferior to another, or has a fundamental hatred of one or more races. What evidence for that do you see?
Segregationism equals hatred. Anyone who sees a need to separate one race from another must hate at least one of them, because otherwise there'd be no reason for the segregation.
__________________
"Pitching is simple -- cheese for the kitchen and a yakker for the kudo." - Dennis Eckersley
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 09:08 PM   #68
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
A racist believes that one race is inherently superior or inferior to another, or has a fundamental hatred of one or more races. What evidence for that do you see?
Segregationism equals hatred. Anyone who sees a need to separate one race from another must hate at least one of them, because otherwise there'd be no reason for the segregation.
I'm sorry, but that is pure bullshit assumption. Yes, racial hatred and delusions of superiority have historically gone hand in hand with segregation of all kinds, but one does not necessarily beget the other. You don't have to hate black people to believe that mixed couples and mixed children are things inherently prone to difficulty, and thus not wanting to have a hand in creating them.

Might you be a racist if you believe those things? Yes, of course. Lots of racists say exactly that. Must you be? Hell no.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 12:16 AM   #69
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
No, they are segregationist. A racist believes that one race is inherently superior or inferior to another, or has a fundamental hatred of one or more races.
Not true. A Racist simply believe that the so-called Races differ in character, abilities and other attributes. For example, believing that all Black people have rhythm is a Racist belief, though not necessarily a negative one. So anybody who is segregationist is also Racist.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Segregationism equals hatred. Anyone who sees a need to separate one race from another must hate at least one of them, because otherwise there'd be no reason for the segregation.
That's not true, either. Self-segregation is very fashionable these days. It may equal stupidity, but it doesn't equal hatred.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 01:06 AM   #70
UssGlenn
Captain
 
UssGlenn's Avatar
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
No, they are segregationist. A racist believes that one race is inherently superior or inferior to another, or has a fundamental hatred of one or more races.
Not true. A Racist simply believe that the so-called Races differ in character, abilities and other attributes. For example, believing that all Black people have rhythm is a Racist belief, though not necessarily a negative one. So anybody who is segregationist is also Racist.
but the second half of that definition states "usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others". Of course you'll say this guy falls in the subset that makes this a usually and not an always.
__________________
"What are you going to do?"
"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go."
UssGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 01:13 AM   #71
Red Ranger
Admiral
 
Red Ranger's Avatar
 
Location: New York City, the greatest city in the world!
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Considering Louisiana's history of unacknowledged racial and cultural mixing, it's ironic indeed, but understandable, that this boob would act this way. Hell, the phrase Creole tends to downgrade the black influence and upgrade the French influence. It's a phenomenon I call DOB -- Denial of Blackness. (Dominicans and Cubans are anecdotally infamous for the DOB). -- RR
__________________
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 04:54 AM   #72
MANT!
Rear Admiral
 
MANT!'s Avatar
 
Location: in Atomo-vision
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Per the State of Louisiana
JUSTICE OF THE PEACE
The candidate shall be of good moral character, a qualified elector, be a resident of the ward and district from which elected and able to read and write the English language correctly. By the date of qualification in 2008, the candidate shall possess a high school diploma or its equivalent as determined by BESE.
Beginning in 2008, a candidate shall not have attained age 70 by the date he qualifies; a Justice of the Peace who reaches age 70 while serving a term of office will be allowed to complete the term. (shall not apply to those Justices of the Peace who are serving or were elected on or before 8/15/06) A Justice of the Peace elected to and holding office on 7/2/99 may continue to serve whether or not he resides in the ward and the district from which he was elected. A justice of the peace appointed to fill an unexpired term is not authorized to run for that office in the next subsequent election for that office, either special or otherwise, even though he has officially resigned from the office of justice of the peace.
[COLOR=#006699]http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/elections/M…[/COLOR]
It's an ELECTED position, so the "Old fashioned moron" in the office has the chance to lose the election..and judging by his actions, he probably will lose the next one..
the term of office isn't something I can locate..and now the link I posted went dead..

But this is the problem I see all over..the
I'm not a racist, I have lots of black friends
rationalism, that allows small degrees of racism to prosper. To me racism isn't just a black and white issue, as an example, most Brazilians are of a mixed race persuasion due to a lack of stigma associated to mixed race couples. This includes my wife and step-daughter. Mixed race children are a growing segment of the American population as outdated racial attitudes are slowly eliminated from American society.

Racial purity laws are abhorrent to me due to the Nazi ideology they represent. Now we must eliminate the smaller public racism evident in our public officials. No amount of rationalization can change the fact that this man's reasoning is racist in a VERY large way..

It has been mentioned upthread that he's violating Federal statutes by not following the law and using his personal beliefs in regards to his duties and that is true.

This man needs to be stripped of his position... end of story
__________________
Ryan Ladson Geddings 03-06-1989 to 11-27-2013
Requiescat in pace
MANT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 08:44 AM   #73
Locutus of Bored
The Locutest One of All
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
I'm just saying that compared to most people who get the racial discrimination brand, this one wasn't all that bad.
He's like the Diet Coke of racists then. Swell.

He told the couple where to go to find another Justice of the Peace who would marry them. It seems to me, if he was genuinely concerned for the welfare of the children instead of hiding behind it as an excuse, he wouldn't enable their potential endangerment and outcasting of their children. He would instead just say "Nope, not gonna do it, get out." People who are actually concerned for the welfare of children generally don't offer alternatives to do the same thing they're concerned about in the first place. Otherwise, what's really the difference between that and performing the ceremony yourself except in a matter of degree? He's still rendering some assistance to the couple in doing something he feels is bad for any potential children.

Why the automatic assumption that every couple is going to have kids? He doesn't ask them if they plan to have children, just if they're an interracial couple, period. Granted, most married couples do have children, but it's still taking an extra leap. If he's so concerned about potential kids, why isn't that part of his questioning of prospective couples?

That leads me to believe with a pretty high degree of certainty that the "I'm doing it for the kids" excuse is just a less offensive smokescreen to cover his personal feelings that interracial marriage is icky. Because shockingly, in the real world and not Juan Bolio Land, racists aren't always up-front and honest about their racism and try to deny it, hide it behind less obviously offensive rhetoric, or justify it through some convoluted reasoning.

So it's often kind of hard to get them to just blurt out "I'm a racist" in an interview or press conference, unless they're one of those people who just doesn't give a damn about living in modern society. Hell, even some of your finer KKK guys like to think they aren't racist because they don't hate or want to hurt black people in their words, they just want them to not be here. That's the level of delusion these people can operate under.

In this interview, Bardwell is asked if there are any other conditions under which he might deny performing a marriage ceremony other than interracial marriage, and he says no at first before amending his answer to include couples who are intoxicated in some way. So, there's no other situation where children can grow up and face adversity that he objects to? Potential parents who are chronically unemployed, have an extensive criminal background, have a history of physical abuse, whatever; they're all fine. It's just that interracial thing that gives him pause. Yep, no racial motivation there at all, it's just because he's so concerned for the kids. Give me a break.

Your ridiculous demands for internet forum burden of proof before being allowed to speculate and your endless defense of child molesters, hoaxers, and racists is getting tiresome, especially when if a police officer is ever accused of anything you toss all of that aside and call for them to be burned at the stake based on some anecdotal encounters you've allegedly had with cops in the past.
__________________
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 10:03 AM   #74
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
No, they are segregationist. A racist believes that one race is inherently superior or inferior to another, or has a fundamental hatred of one or more races.
Not true. A Racist simply believe that the so-called Races differ in character, abilities and other attributes. For example, believing that all Black people have rhythm is a Racist belief, though not necessarily a negative one. So anybody who is segregationist is also Racist.
but the second half of that definition states "usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others". Of course you'll say this guy falls in the subset that makes this a usually and not an always.
I have no idea what this guy really thinks. The point is that Racism is about believing that there are different races with different characteristics.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 05:21 PM   #75
Teelie
Vice Admiral
 
Teelie's Avatar
 
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

I'd be surprised if the guy lasts out the year or much past it before either stepping down, being forced to step down/evicted from the position.

Whether what he did was racist or not is obviously still debated in the thread but there is no doubt what he did was wrong and against the state and federal laws so he's going to be leaving office sooner rather than later.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
racism

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.