RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,839
Posts: 5,220,351
Members: 24,228
Currently online: 618
Newest member: waqarkeihk

TrekToday headlines

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 19 2009, 04:11 AM   #46
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And this justice is only making things worse by continuing that cycle of racism. He could have stood up against it, but failed. His inaction allows racism to continue.
I agree, but I don't think that makes his actions and beliefs in themselves racist.

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
The most basic fact of the case is this: the man was showing racist behavior. Whatever the motivations or faulty logic behind his behavior, the behavior itself is racist. A person who thinks that an interracial couple should not be married/have children, for the sake of said children is serving only to reaffirm racist attitudes and is therefore engaging in racist behavior.
I disagree. I believe motive defines a person's actions, not their unintended effects. In my book this man, based on what he's said alone (I know nothing of his inner motivations, if he has any), is not racist, and therefore neither were his actions. Overstepping his authority and worthy of termination, definitely. Racist - no.
His actions scream racial intolerance. It is HIS opinion that mixed races marriages don't work out (bullshit) and that the children suffer (more bullshit); therefore, in HIS OPINION, they shouldn't be allowed to marry.

RACISM. End. Of. Story.
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:12 AM   #47
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
And I have to disagree with that. In cases like this, motives are meaningless, actions are everything. The behavior is racist, no matter the logic or intentions behind it.
Then we must agree to disagree.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Whoever, and whatever, perpetuates racism - or allows it to be perpetuated - is in itself racist.
That's like saying a doctor who has given up on treating cancer is, himself, cancer.

F. Kreuger wrote: View Post
His actions scream racial intolerance.
Maybe, but his stated motivations say otherwise.

in HIS OPINION, they shouldn't be allowed to marry.
I don't remember reading about him saying they shouldn't be allowed to. He just said he wouldn't do it or contribute to it himself. He didn't try to prevent it from happening.


RACISM. End. Of. Story.
No, I think that's a little too simplistic for me.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:15 AM   #48
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Either this guy is a racist and trying to hide it behind excuses or he's a moron. Either way, he's not looking good.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:15 AM   #49
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Whoever, and whatever, perpetuates racism - or allows it to be perpetuated - is in itself racist.
That's like saying a doctor who has given up on treating cancer is, himself, cancer.
Not at all. Doctors are continually striving to cure cancer. They have not given up on it. They can't cure cancer now, because that is not yet medically possible. But they are still trying to cure it.

This justice, OTOH, has the power to *eliminate* the racism that is occurring right under his watch - by simply performing the marriage. Once he's done that, everything would have been fine. But by refusing to do the ceremony, he is creating more racism. The vicious circle continues.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:17 AM   #50
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Not at all. Doctors are continually striving to cure cancer. They have not given up on it. They can't cure cancer now, because that is not yet medically possible. But they are still trying to cure it.

This justice, OTOH, has the power to *eliminate* the racism that is occurring right under his watch - by simply performing the marriage. Once he's done that, everything would have been fine. But by refusing to do the ceremony, he is creating more racism. The vicious circle continues.
You misunderstand. I'm talking about if a SINGLE doctor refused to treat cancer because he thought it was hopeless. Far fetched, I know, but bear with me - its a metaphor. Would that doctor, himself, become cancerous for not acting to cure it?
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:19 AM   #51
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
And I have to disagree with that. In cases like this, motives are meaningless, actions are everything. The behavior is racist, no matter the logic or intentions behind it.
Then we must agree to disagree.
So engaging in racist behavior and promoting racist behavior isn't so bad so long as his motives (he thinks) are pure? That's ridiculous.

Besides, even when we do take into account his motives we cannot deny that his logic is faulty.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:19 AM   #52
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
I'm talking about if a SINGLE doctor refused to treat cancer because he thought it was hopeless. Far fetched, I know, but bear with me - its a metaphor. Would that doctor, himself, become cancerous for not acting to cure it?
No, because a physical ailment can only be caused by biology. Racial prejudice and intolerance can be caused, and allowed to continue, by attitudes alone.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:24 AM   #53
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Not at all. Doctors are continually striving to cure cancer. They have not given up on it. They can't cure cancer now, because that is not yet medically possible. But they are still trying to cure it.

This justice, OTOH, has the power to *eliminate* the racism that is occurring right under his watch - by simply performing the marriage. Once he's done that, everything would have been fine. But by refusing to do the ceremony, he is creating more racism. The vicious circle continues.
You misunderstand. I'm talking about if a SINGLE doctor refused to treat cancer because he thought it was hopeless. Far fetched, I know, but bear with me - its a metaphor. Would that doctor, himself, become cancerous for not acting to cure it?
The analogy is flawed because cancer is not a human behavior. The metaphorical aside, one cannot behave as a cancer. One can behave as a racist. We can separate the behavior from the intentions for sure. But the behavior is racist, and because it is the behavior that affects the world, it is the behavior, and only the behavior, that matters. His motives may serve to appease his own mind, and you and I could debate whether his attitude itself is racist (I believe it is), but all that doesn't matter when the action is considered.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:24 AM   #54
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
in HIS OPINION, they shouldn't be allowed to marry.
I don't remember reading about him saying they shouldn't be allowed to. He just said he wouldn't do it or contribute to it himself. He didn't try to prevent it from happening.


RACISM. End. Of. Story.
No, I think that's a little too simplistic for me.
Here you go, sport.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...l-couple_N.htm

A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long. "I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.
He doesn't believe in mixing the races. How much more proof would you like?

And some follow-up.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...marriage_N.htm
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:25 AM   #55
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
So engaging in racist behavior and promoting racist behavior isn't so bad so long as his motives (he thinks) are pure? That's ridiculous.
I don't think his actions were racist, exactly, as they had nothing to do with one race being less than another. Segregationist, maybe, but that's not the same thing.

Besides, even when we do take into account his motives we cannot deny that his logic is faulty.
Perhaps. I think he's correct in stating that black and mixed kids will likely face difficulties in their lives that white kids would not. I don't agree with his actions (or rather inactions), but I simply can't agree that all this makes him a racist.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
No, because a physical ailment can only be caused by biology. Racial prejudice and intolerance can be caused, and allowed to continue, by attitudes alone.
Tools are irrelevant. The doctor has the power to fight cancer, the JoP has the power to bring races together, one marriage at a time. Is the doctor cancerous for not treating cancer as the JoP is racist for choosing not to wed mixed couples?

F. Kreuger wrote: View Post
Here you go, sport.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...l-couple_N.htm

A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long. "I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.
He doesn't believe in mixing the races. How much more proof would you like?

And some follow-up.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...marriage_N.htm
Don't call me "sport", and yes, I've read all of that. My opinion remains unchanged. Based on his stated motivations, he is not, in my opinion, a racist.

End of story.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:27 AM   #56
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral
 
Nerys Ghemor's Avatar
 
Location: Cardăsa Terăm--Nerys Ghemor
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

How else could a person morally justify segregationism other than racism??? Seriously, I cannot see that.
__________________
Are you a Cardassian fan, citizen? Prove your loyalty--check out my fanfic universe, Star Trek: Sigils and Unions. Or keep the faith on my AU Cardassia, Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius!
Nerys Ghemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:28 AM   #57
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

F. Kreuger wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
in HIS OPINION, they shouldn't be allowed to marry.
I don't remember reading about him saying they shouldn't be allowed to. He just said he wouldn't do it or contribute to it himself. He didn't try to prevent it from happening.


No, I think that's a little too simplistic for me.
Here you go, sport.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...l-couple_N.htm

A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long. "I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.
He doesn't believe in mixing the races. How much more proof would you like?

And some follow-up.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...marriage_N.htm
He's definitely not racist, he has "black friends!" "Piles and piles of them!" He even let's them use his bathroom!
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:29 AM   #58
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
So engaging in racist behavior and promoting racist behavior isn't so bad so long as his motives (he thinks) are pure? That's ridiculous.
I don't think his actions were racist, exactly, as they had nothing to do with one race being less than another. Segregationist, maybe, but that's not the same thing.
He is treating people differently based solely on their race. That is the very definition of racism!
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:33 AM   #59
JuanBolio
Admiral
 
JuanBolio's Avatar
 
Location: Florida Keys, USA
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
How else could a person morally justify segregationism other than racism??? Seriously, I cannot see that.
He feels that mixed couples will have children that will face adversity in their life that they otherwise wouldn't. He steps way over the bounds (and bonds) of his authority in refusing to take part in bringing the parents together in legal union (especially since people don't need to be married to have kids), but I don't think that attitude in itself is racist. Racism stems from feelings of racial superiority/inferiority. I see none of that here.

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
He is treating people differently based solely on their race. That is the very definition of racism!
No, as far as I know he treats black people no different from white people. He is simply refusing to participate in marrying them together. It would be racist if, say, he refused to wed any two black people in hopes that the race would stop breeding and die out, or if he refused to marry white and black people together because he felt a black person was unworthy of marrying a white person.
__________________
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 04:39 AM   #60
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
He is treating people differently based solely on their race. That is the very definition of racism!
No, as far as I know he treats black people no different from white people. He is simply refusing to participate in marrying them together. It would be racist if, say, he refused to wed any two black people in hopes that the race would stop breeding and die out, or if he refused to marry white and black people together because he felt a black person was unworthy of marrying a white person.
No, that's completely wrong. He is treating interracial couples differently from other couples. He is altering his behavior because of their races. That is racism.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
racism

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.