USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 9 2009, 01:57 AM   #1
felixofgolden
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry on Intelligence Squared debate

Not sure if this would be a Tv/Media or misc post or not.
Did anyone see Stephen Fry on the Intelligence Squared debate on the BBC last night? The topic was "Is the Catholic Church a force for good in the world?"
Here's a youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvZz_...3374A3&index=0
felixofgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Ward Fowler
Commodore

Re: Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry on Intelligence Squared debat

Thanks for the link. I'm a big Hitchens fan.
Old November 9 2009, 02:16 AM   #3
trampledamage
Clone

Christopher Hitchens on Catholicism? This I have to see!

It was from him that I realised the devil's advocate is an actual job. Hitchens was the Vatican-appointed devil's advocate arguing against Mother Theresa's sainthood.

Thanks for posting the link, I'll watch later this evening.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 02:31 AM   #4
J. Allen
Remember... Remember.

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Interesting.
While I am a fan of Stephen Fry, I can only barely tolerate Christopher Hitchens (this applies to Richard Dawkins as well) whom I consider an evangelical atheist, in that he cannot simply not believe in something, he has to push back against what he believes is a great threat to logic and rational thinking, ie., religions of all types.

J.
I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours. - Spock, The Immunity Syndrome

Leonard Nimoy: 1931 - 2015
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 03:02 AM   #5
trampledamage
Clone

I agree with you about Hitchen's evangelism, but I find his articles worth reading, even though I often disagree with him.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 03:09 AM   #6
J. Allen
Remember... Remember.

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

trampledamage wrote: View Post
I agree with you about Hitchen's evangelism, but I find his articles worth reading, even though I often disagree with him.
Oh, certainly. He is a very intelligent man, and I am impressed with his range of knowledge. However, it is his attitude and assumptions about my supposed lack of intelligence which I find most off putting. I think you know me well enough to understand that I harbor no ill will toward atheism or atheists. I have been close to that myself at times, and I certainly understand why someone can be atheist. Such a person is no less moral or ethical than I am, and they are not less of a person because they hold no religious belief.

I would simply like Mr. Hitchens to keep that in mind when he goes on one of his frequent tirades against people of faith who bring him no harm.

Quite honestly, my favorite intellectual who was also atheist (well, agnostic anyway) would have to be Carl Sagan. I loved the man's attitude, his desire to share knowledge regardless of one's personal beliefs, and his desire to see a united humanity. I consider him a truly inspiring person and when I learned he had died (back when I was 16), even then when I was at my most devoted in faith, I felt deeply saddened, because I considered him the torch bearer for the lay scientist, the common man who was interested in the uncommon universe.

I know it's a bit off topic, but imagine my delight when I discovered the entire series of Cosmos available for instant watching on Netflix! I am halfway through them and there's an imprinted groove on my couch where I watched many of them one right after the other in one sitting.

J.
I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours. - Spock, The Immunity Syndrome

Leonard Nimoy: 1931 - 2015
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote