RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,903
Posts: 5,387,647
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 565
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 15 2009, 08:54 PM   #1
farmkid
Commodore
 
Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

My brother sent me this link today. It's a very interesting reinterpretation of Star Wars IV (A New Hope) in light of I-III. It suggests a radical revision of some of the characters--not their actions, but who they are in the Star Wars universe. It's a very interesting read I thought I would share.

link
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Caliburn24
Commodore
 
Location: Gig Harbor, Washington
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

I like bits and pieces of that analysis. Obiwan recognizing R2D2 and calling him, "My little friend" is great.

But overall it ignores what happens in Empire and Jedi in favor of setting up Chewie and R2 as master spies. Which is hilarious to think about, but makes no sense if we add in episodes V and VI.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 09:53 PM   #3
The Fatman
Captain
 
The Fatman's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

I remember reading that sometime in the past, but I had forgotten the details. it IS an interesting read, although I think it is very interesting that there are so many plot inconsistencies in the prequels that you have to do this much retconning to try to make the story make sense.

In the end, I like the stuff about R2 and Obi-Wan, but I dislike the idea that Chewie is some kind of master spy.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

It makes a lot of sense. Aside from the romantic stuff which can be tossed out, it explains a lot.

Lando and Chewie being the pair to go "undercover" for luke's rescue mission in Jedi. The fact that R2 knew of Luke's plan but 3PO didn't. Lando leading the attack mission on the death star (and his mentioning about a battle in his past implying a military history). Chewie's overprotective nature toward Leia in Empire... He only ever showed that type of loyalty two three people, Han, Luke, and Leia.


These little things do add up when you look at them.
__________________
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing something right. - Anonymous.
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral
 
Lapis Exilis's Avatar
 
Location: Underground
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

Well, I think it's hilarious and someone should write that up as fan fic asap. It makes for a much better story than the Star Wars "saga" as it currently exists, that's for damn sure. Even in the two good movies, Luke, Han and Leia are pretty generic heroes. I'm all for SW as the secret tales of R2 and Chewie.
__________________
Don't try to win over the haters; you're not the jackass whisperer. - Scott Straten
Lapis Exilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

I dont recall whether R2 was wiped in 'Sith' or not, but if not, as the article seems to imply, then it's not even a question. R2 knows more than anyone else onscreen most all those times. He really is a spy.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 10:38 PM   #7
O'Dib
Commodore
 
O'Dib's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Brody's still
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

This reminds me of that other thread. (also, Tag and Bink) What's R2 really saying? This guy suggests crude jokes, and I'm all for it. I wanna see a subtitled SW IV which gives Chewie and R2 lines that fit with this idea. (srt skills, anyone?) Even if they speak of espionage in front of characters who can supposedly understand them, you can just rack it up to them switching to other dialects of wookie/droid. Awesome!
__________________
Ee'd plebnista, norkohn forkohn perfectunun
O'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

I had a plan to re-edit and dub Star Wars to make the Empire into the good guys.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 12:10 AM   #9
gastrof
Rear Admiral
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Location: New Vulcan
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

Davros wrote: View Post
I had a plan to re-edit and dub Star Wars to make the Empire into the good guys.
Considering your board name, I'm not surprised, you long-lived Kaled.
__________________
Trek:
Onscreen is canon, books are interesting. Movies change canon, scissors wrap paper...or...something.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

Utterly brilliant. I lost it at this line:

En route to Alderaan, R2 and Chewie play stop-motion chess. This is the latest in a series of games they've played over the year in the back rooms of space stations and cantinas across the galaxy, but this is the first time they've done it in front of their respective straight men, so they put on a big show.
Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
But overall it ignores what happens in Empire and Jedi in favor of setting up Chewie and R2 as master spies. Which is hilarious to think about, but makes no sense if we add in episodes V and VI.
Well, it'd mean the spat between R2-D2 and Yoda ("Mine! Mine!") is basically two brilliant tacticians pretending to be childish brats solely to screw with Luke's head.

I like that.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 01:12 AM   #11
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral
 
Lapis Exilis's Avatar
 
Location: Underground
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

O'Dib wrote: View Post
This reminds me of that other thread. (also, Tag and Bink) What's R2 really saying? This guy suggests crude jokes, and I'm all for it. I wanna see a subtitled SW IV which gives Chewie and R2 lines that fit with this idea. (srt skills, anyone?) Even if they speak of espionage in front of characters who can supposedly understand them, you can just rack it up to them switching to other dialects of wookie/droid. Awesome!
Now that's a brilliant idea!
__________________
Don't try to win over the haters; you're not the jackass whisperer. - Scott Straten
Lapis Exilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 01:22 AM   #12
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

Kegg wrote: View Post
Utterly brilliant. I lost it at this line:

En route to Alderaan, R2 and Chewie play stop-motion chess. This is the latest in a series of games they've played over the year in the back rooms of space stations and cantinas across the galaxy, but this is the first time they've done it in front of their respective straight men, so they put on a big show.
Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
But overall it ignores what happens in Empire and Jedi in favor of setting up Chewie and R2 as master spies. Which is hilarious to think about, but makes no sense if we add in episodes V and VI.
Well, it'd mean the spat between R2-D2 and Yoda ("Mine! Mine!") is basically two brilliant tacticians pretending to be childish brats solely to screw with Luke's head.

I like that.
That was a test, and one which R2 seemed to be in on. Remember, Yoda was testing Luke the entire time to see if he should be trained.
__________________
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing something right. - Anonymous.
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 03:51 AM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV



I think I've read that before, or a variation on it, but it's still great. I particularly like the idea of Chewie maneuvering Han and Leia together to avoid anything icky arising with Luke.

Of course, that's why Chewie turned down Leia's medal. He wanted Han to look more heroic in her eyes.

Definitely great material for a fanfic.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 04:44 AM   #14
The Cutest of Borg
Rear Admiral
 
The Cutest of Borg's Avatar
 
Location: The Cutest of Borg - Metro Phoenix, AZ
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Definitely great material for a fanfic.
Indeed. I could get into an Ender's Shadow-like retelling of the original trilogy seen through the eyes of the only surviving heroes from the Clone Wars. Very well thought out analysis.
__________________
"I am The Cutest of Borg. From this time forward, you will service... me!"

My Office Space spoof
The Cutest of Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

farmkid wrote: View Post
My brother sent me this link today. It's a very interesting reinterpretation of Star Wars IV (A New Hope) in light of I-III. It suggests a radical revision of some of the characters--not their actions, but who they are in the Star Wars universe. It's a very interesting read I thought I would share.

link
This is, and I do not say it lightly, sheer and utter genius.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.