Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 21 2009, 06:27 PM   #1
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

Fellow Anime Fan's Please Watch This Video

(thatguywiththeglasses.com) Marzgurls anime news editorial: is this legal?
So please support the legal anime video sites and buy the DVD's or there will be no more new anime coming out of Japan!

If You have any friends who are guilty of downloading anime torrents or watching unlicensed videos please email them the link to this video.

Last edited by GhostFaceSaint; October 21 2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Trying to enourage people to do the right thing.
GhostFaceSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 08:44 PM   #2
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: Fellow Anime Fan's Please Watch This Video

That was ten minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Old October 21 2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Preaching to the chior with me, I already buy what I can to support the shows I like. As for unlicensed series if they want me to pay for stuff like Gundam Victory or SPT Layzner they should release the damn DVDs so I wouldn't have to torrent them.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I'll support legal releases as long as the companies respect the fans in return. If all we get are crappy dub only versions, or material thats poor quality, then yes I'm gonna get my fix through 'alternate means'.

To be fair though, the only real 'pirated' show I still own is Season 1-2 of Sailor Moon (yeah, I'm old). In that case, the parent company only released two box sets with very sub-par sound and video quality. Both sold out and went OOP within a year. The disks I own were dubbed off laserdisks and look and sound just fine. They're subbed, have fact files explaining some of the cultural references, fan art galleries, and interviews with the crew and voice actors. Release a package like that to stores and I'd be first in line.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; October 21 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

thats the thing with anime in America, it isn't widely available, and because Adult Swim got burned with some crappy anime (i'm looking at YOU Blue Gender & Wolf's Rain) that they aren't showing anime as much anymore, used to be you could sit down and watch Sailor Moon, DragonBall, DBZ, Tenchi Muyo/Universe/In Tokyo, Gundam, & Outlaw Star and not have to get up off the couch.

Fox had a station that on saturday and sunday ran anime in the mornings, they had some good ones, too, like Flint the time detective, Digimon (back when it was good) Monster Rancher, and what was that one with the pig? then they sold the station to ABC which scrubbed it of anything good(also, since FOX fucked up and ran Escaflowne in thier kids section they have been leery about running anime).

It's difficult to get any new, good, anime on TV to drive interest in DVD sales, DVD's are Brutal (typicaly 3-5 episodes for a $22 disc or having 25-26 episode series split in thirds) but thats changing, full season sets (at reasonable enough prices) are becoming more predomanant, but thats only when you can find them, and alot of good stuff, the stuff I want, was never given a fair DVD run, if one at all, so it's not all the basement dwelling, pimply, 500lb anime snobs that think that Marcus "the typo king" fansubber can do a better job of translations than an anime company that are fucking things up ( but please, take a bath, then go die in a fire)
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

^
Except therein lies the problem. In most cases the fansubs are better than the "professional" ones.

With fansubs these days, typos are virtually non existent. Subbers simply do a better job of proofreading than they did 5-10 years ago.

Plus, with fansubs (the good ones, anyway) you get the add bonus of color coded fonts that are easier to read, on screen text translated, and various subber notes which, when used properly, really add to the content of the show.
Old October 22 2009, 12:18 AM   #7
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

The problem you are forgetting or ignoring is that in those fan subbs no money goes back to the studios in Japan, and they are hurting for money right now. The right thing for the fan subbers would be to set up advertising on a website posting their videos and a licensing agreement with the studio, its not that hard! Otherwise anime will soon disappear.
Old October 22 2009, 12:28 AM   #8
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Nonsense. The dire straits of the anime business is vastly exaggerated. The only ones who are hurting are the CEOs of the distributors; their paychecks are a little smaller.

Also, I don't know anyone who doesn't end up buying the anime they download, anyway. I do. All my friends do. And the small group of fans on the TBBS all do too. I think you'll find that's pretty common.

People don't download anime because it's free. That's a big misconception propagated by the industry and people like the chick in the vid.
Old October 22 2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Yeah like they're actually gonna release Macross Frontier on Blu-Ray in the west.
Old October 22 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Nonsense. The dire straits of the anime business is vastly exaggerated. The only ones who are hurting are the CEOs of the distributors; their paychecks are a little smaller.
Tru dat! OP, you seem to forget that original creators get very few returns!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 05:58 AM   #11
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Also, I don't know anyone who doesn't end up buying the anime they download, anyway. I do. All my friends do. And the small group of fans on the TBBS all do too. I think you'll find that's pretty common.
I don't.

I may be old-fashioned here, but I generally don't like to pay to watch TV shows. There's the occasional show I love that I will buy, but I'm not going to buy every show I watch. I loved Code Geass, but I have no intention of ever watching it again so why would I spend a fortune buying the DVDs to collect dust on a shelf?

I try to seek out official sources to watch anime when I can, such as Hulu or Funimation's recent One Piece broadcast, but if there is no legal source I will pirate away and not feel the slightly bit guilty.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 09:15 AM   #12
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Brukk wrote: View Post
Yeah like they're actually gonna release Macross Frontier on Blu-Ray in the west.
I wish.

My thing is that I'm keeping up with new shows. Crunchyroll/Funimation kind of helps, but there's a lot of stuff that's still not licensed. It's the same with BBC or ABC shows that I watch. I'm not going to wait a year for Ashes to Ashes to come out over here when I can watch it when it comes out.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote