Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Closed Thread

Old October 16 2009, 02:30 PM   #16
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

Re: In Defense of the Occupation

Kegg wrote: View Post
jazzstick wrote: View Post
Why would it be a troll? Because the opinion differs from yours?
Are you two a tag team?
OMG! Kegg! Once again your brilliant observation rings true!

Yes we are a tag team, we are working together to cloud up this BBS! Why the hell would I want to team up with someone whose opinion, while valid I find offensive, I don't even know who this weird-o is!

I'm simply pointing out that it seems like everybody is jump to conclusions, sure his opinion is very very offensive but its his opinion!
Old October 16 2009, 02:31 PM   #17
SpaceBrotha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

@DiaboliKate

I am in no way comparing the Cardassians to the KKK. The KKK is just a semi-organized group of racist red necks that like to play dress up, drink, and hate on non-whites. The Cardassians had an actual cause for enslaving the Bajorans that was not based on hatred. They saw an inferior race and they took it upon themselves to subject and enlighten them. If there is any hatred towards the Bajorans now it is only because it reminds them of their own weakness of not being able to occupy Bajor for longer than 50 years. The free Bajoran is just a reminder of that weakness.

Change we can believe in!!!
Old October 16 2009, 02:46 PM   #18
SpaceBrotha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's Jonny! wrote: View Post
As far as I recall the only good thing that the Cardassians did was get rid of a caste system...though they replaced it with a system of wholesale discrimination, all Bajorans are scum!, which they believed was completely cromulent.

You have to wonder what would have happened to Bajor if Sisko never found the wormhole. Given how fractured and that thanks to the Cardassians they were stuck in a cycle of violence that the government would have collapsed and the various factions would have gone to war against each other. The Bajoran civilisation that lasted over 500,000 years might have been destroyed in just a year of "freedom". So I think that all the Cardassians did was tear the Bajoran civilisation to the ground and leave it to die.
You are correct. If it was not for federation assistance the Bajorans would probably have killed many more of themselves in civil war. I am not sure if this is a bad thing though as it is just more natural selection.

Also excellent use of the word cromulent.

Old October 16 2009, 03:03 PM   #19
iguana_tonante
Admiral

SpaceBrotha wrote: View Post
vigilia_ognissanti wrote: View Post
Are we supposed to laugh? Because I'm not laughing.
Why would you laugh at something serious?
Because I think this is a bad attempt at trolling, something thats should elicit laugher but instead turns out very disappointing.

Do I really need to point out all the very bad parts about your post? Let's try...

Many civilizations were created by the blood and sweat of inferior cultures. Where would America be now if it had not had the mighty Negros to tend her fields and fight her wars?
Where would the English be if she did not have India to fund her illustrious empire? Would we still have the pyramids if our ancient black brethren did not enslave the barbarous Hebrews?
It matters not the individual suffering of a race. What matters is the destiny of the race as a whole.

This is pure evolution. Arguing this fact would be tantamount to supporting creative design as opposed to natural selection.
And I left out all the parts about fictional races. The parts about actual cultures is bad enough.
Old October 16 2009, 03:06 PM   #20
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Dukat, I mean the author of this article, said it best: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gul_Dukat
A very informative article, just like the rest of Uncyclopedia!

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 16 2009, 03:10 PM   #21
SpaceBrotha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are we supposed to laugh? Because I'm not laughing.
Why would you laugh at something serious?
Because I think this is a bad attempt at trolling, something thats should elicit laugher but instead turns out very disappointing.

Do I really need to point out all the very bad parts about your post? Let's try...

Many civilizations were created by the blood and sweat of inferior cultures. Where would America be now if it had not had the mighty Negros to tend her fields and fight her wars?
Where would the English be if she did not have India to fund her illustrious empire? Would we still have the pyramids if our ancient black brethren did not enslave the barbarous Hebrews?
It matters not the individual suffering of a race. What matters is the destiny of the race as a whole.

This is pure evolution. Arguing this fact would be tantamount to supporting creative design as opposed to natural selection.
And I left out all the parts about fictional races. The parts about actual cultures is bad enough.
You don't like my choice of words but you have done nothing to refute them other than calling me a troll (which is untrue I actually believe what I said.) The type of argument you are using is known as ad hominem. It is used often by people who are unable to refute the point made by the opponent, and by many Fox News personalities. If you don't have anything useful to add then please don't try to derail the discussion.

Old October 16 2009, 03:21 PM   #22
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

There is no such thing as a "superior" or "inferior" race.
Old October 16 2009, 03:29 PM   #23
iguana_tonante
Admiral

You don't like my choice of words but you have done nothing to refute them other than calling me a troll (which is untrue I actually believe what I said.) The type of argument you are using is known as ad hominem. It is used often by people who are unable to refute the point made by the opponent, and by many Fox News personalities. If you don't have anything useful to add then please don't try to derail the discussion.
This is not a discussion. Your points are ludicrous. Do you really think it's the destiny of "superior races" to rule above the "inferior ones" like "Negros" and "barbarous Hebrews"? Don't we had a war about that some years ago? Or another, if you wanna go back further?

Maybe you get your funny from this, but it's just sad.
Old October 16 2009, 03:31 PM   #24
SpaceBrotha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is nothing funny about this. I see there is nobody among these Philistines that are able to have an intelligent discussion about something that makes them uneasy.

Old October 16 2009, 03:41 PM   #25
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Spacebrotha, please believe me when I say that I honestly don't mean to offend you, but I don't find this conversation "uncomfortable." I find it pointless. And - sorry - kinda boring.

I can't say we've ever before had somebody flat-out say "Where would America be now if it had not had the mighty Negros to tend her fields and fight her wars?" but we've had lots of apologists for the Bajoran occupation here on the BBS before, and so the subject is neither so provocative nor original as you seem to suppose.

I, at least, have written lots about it, and I am reluctant to write it all yet again, particularly when you have clearly made up your mind, either in favor of the occupation or in favor of getting folks here on the BBS all riled up. I won't speculate as to which I think is more likely, at least not in this post.

Last edited by JustKate; October 16 2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old October 16 2009, 03:42 PM   #26
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Good idea, SpaceBrotha, I'm sure you will find other places on the web where you ideas will be more welcome.
Old October 16 2009, 03:53 PM   #27
SpaceBrotha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good idea, SpaceBrotha, I'm sure you will find other places on the web where you ideas will be more welcome.
What idea?

Old October 16 2009, 03:57 PM   #28
Kegg
Rear Admiral

jazzstick wrote: View Post
OMG! Kegg! Once again your brilliant observation rings true!

Yes we are a tag team, we are working together to cloud up this BBS!
I thought as much.
Old October 16 2009, 03:58 PM   #29
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

@DiaboliKate

I am in no way comparing the Cardassians to the KKK. The KKK is just a semi-organized group of racist red necks that like to play dress up, drink, and hate on non-whites. The Cardassians had an actual cause for enslaving the Bajorans that was not based on hatred. They saw an inferior race and they took it upon themselves to subject and enlighten them. If there is any hatred towards the Bajorans now it is only because it reminds them of their own weakness of not being able to occupy Bajor for longer than 50 years. The free Bajoran is just a reminder of that weakness.
I think it is nonsense that the idea that enslaving and subjugating an entire species to "enlighten" them is an acceptable practice. The Cardassians did what they did because they had the strength to do it so they could benefit their empire by strip mining the planet and using the population to do the work. At no point did they treat the Bajorans with respect or any sense of equality.

The Cardassians committed massacres before they left. Then as they were leaving they poisoned land to create famine and starvation amongst the Bajorans. They supported an attempted coup against the government. They kidnapped and tortured people from Bajor, forces women (and probably men) into prostitution, they stole religious artefacts and resources. I find it next to impossible to believe that the quality of life of the Bajorans got better due to Cardassian occupation.
Old October 16 2009, 04:03 PM   #30
iguana_tonante
Admiral

What idea?
Racial superiority, manifest destiny, social "darwinists", genocide apologists... the list is long, and the web is full of wackos.