Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 17 2009, 11:16 PM   #16
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Lots of terraforming by the Preservers or their equals?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 11:17 PM   #17
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
Yeah, that duplicate Earth thing was a bit of a WTF moment, wasn't it? I did assume they were going somewhere with it, but evidently not. I love the fact that, even though it made absolutely no sense whatsoever, it is nonetheless canon and when we watch DS9 or Voyager we have to remember that somewhere out there is a planet that looks exactly the same as Earth.
They were going for a way to save money.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
That was actually what I liked best about that whole episode... that it showed us that even a non-human humanoid could be repeated through the galaxy, and everyone didn't have to look just like humans. There could be more than one or two species that look just like Vulcans as well. Pity we never saw any Klingonoids or Ferenginoids, hehe.
Actually, we did get some Klingonoids in the form of Talarians in TNG's "Suddenly Human". They had leather like uniforms kinda like Klingons, and a lite version of head ridges. And of course, they were a warrior race.

As for Feregnoids, there was a bizarro version..."We look for things...to make us go..."
The Dopterians are identified as being related to the Ferengi, even sharing a similar brain structure.
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 05:09 PM   #19
Vance
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Not really, since 'Earth-like cultures' were already analyzed in Star Trek even this early on. What would the 'save money' really accomplish? Stock shot of the planet (they already had lots of those)? Dialog references in the teaser that are completely dropped afterwards?
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 07:43 PM   #20
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Vance wrote: View Post
Not really, since 'Earth-like cultures' were already analyzed in Star Trek even this early on. What would the 'save money' really accomplish? Stock shot of the planet (they already had lots of those)? Dialog references in the teaser that are completely dropped afterwards?
Using "Mayberry" and existing props and costumes. Which was one of Roddenberry's selling points to the suits. I assume the episode was written with that in mind.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old October 20 2009, 08:34 PM   #21
Vance
Vice Admiral

Using "Mayberry" and existing props and costumes. Which was one of Roddenberry's selling points to the suits. I assume the episode was written with that in mind.
Point being, they had already done that with several episodes by the time of "Miri", and didn't resort to the extremity of the Earth Clone that "Miri" did.
Old October 20 2009, 10:58 PM   #22
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Vance wrote: View Post
Point being, they had already done that with several episodes by the time of "Miri", and didn't resort to the extremity of the Earth Clone that "Miri" did.
"Miri" is listed as the 11th regular episode. Looking at the list on Memory Alpha I'm not seeing a "Near Earth-like Planet" episode ahead of it. Looks like it was the first. "Bread and Circuses" and "Omega Glory" weren't till Season Two.
Old October 20 2009, 11:12 PM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CaptMurdock wrote: View Post
My way of dealing with "Miri": The Revisionist Deconstruction of Apocrypha, or to put it another way, no, the planet in question wasn't really identical to Earth, down to the continental configuration. Rather, it was a Class-M world with conditions within fractions of a percent to Earth.

I know, I know, once you start down this road, foreve will it dominate...sorry, wrong universe. I recognize the slippery-slope here. But, do you want to be faithful or do you want it all to make sense?
I figured it was just a pretty cool, imaginative and uh, somewhat disturbing skiffy TV story.

The more energy the Trek people and the fans put into explaining every little thing over the decades, the less imaginative and interesting Star Trek became. I don't suppose the two are related.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 05:38 AM   #24
Vance
Vice Admiral

"Miri" is listed as the 11th regular episode. Looking at the list on Memory Alpha I'm not seeing a "Near Earth-like Planet" episode ahead of it. Looks like it was the first. "Bread and Circuses" and "Omega Glory" weren't till Season Two.
It doesn't have to be a literal Earth clone for 'Miri's plot, a similar-developed world will do, and there are lots of them. There wasn't anything about 'Miri's backstory that required Earth parallel history after all.
Old October 21 2009, 05:49 AM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Thats true. So we are left with it being a dramatic hook for the teaser and keeping expenses down. Beyond that, I'm not sure the writers or producers gave it much thought. Nor did they expect people to be nitpicking it decades later.
Old October 21 2009, 11:39 PM   #26
Lanzman
Rear Admiral

Since someone already brought up the Q, you could explain Miri-Earth as an early Q "trial" for humans. Confront them with something that radically improbable and see how they respond.