Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 2 2010, 09:52 AM   #271
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

Got this for Christmas...

I thought the parts showing the Cylon attack on the Colonies was the best part of the movie. The rest of the movie played a little too much like a clip show. It was enjoyable on that level but I was left wanting more than that.

The score was awesome.

The nudity was not needed at all. It just seemed to be there for no reason other than "hey, it's a movie...let's show some boobies and a dude's schlong!" If you're gonna put some nakedness in there down some anonymous chick show Tricia Helfer of Grace Park instead! I'd rather see that.
Old January 4 2010, 09:23 PM   #272
NIUPonyBoy
Captain

Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy

Agreed, the first 20 mins or so were the best. The rest was a clip show.

I want my $6 back from comcast.
Old January 10 2010, 02:32 AM   #273
nx1701g
Admiral

Well it'll be airing on SyFy tomorrow (Jan 10).
Old February 5 2010, 04:18 AM   #274
Harvey
Admiral

I've finally gotten around to seeing this, and I have to say that it was unfortunately very average. There were quite a few interesting things going on:

(1) Anders' subplot, which fleshed out the character and showed his journey from athlete to military leader
(2) Simon, especially Simon on the fleet. This is probably the first time since The Farm that the character was given anything substantial to do.
(3) Gianna--EJO's wife is quite an actress, and I especially enjoyed her interaction with Tyrol. It's a shame she wasn't in the series proper (besides the miniseries).
(4) Cavil, or, rather, Dean Stockwell. As always, he delivers a great performance (actually, two of them).
(5) It's nice to see a little bit more of Boomer.
(6) We get to see how Leoben's obsession with Kara Thrace began and grew.

But, even though I enjoyed all of those things, structure was a definite problem for this film. There were several clips from previous shows that could have been cut down, or excised altogether. Finding out that Six was meeting with Cavil in the miniseries and that Baltar left the note (heavily implied anyway, since James Callis isn't actually in this outside of stock footage, which makes his presence on the DVD cover strange) aren't that interesting in the end. Ellen Tigh has very little to do, D'Anna isn't in the film at all (I must have missed her appearance via stock footage), Tory has two scenes of no substance, Adama and Tigh are mostly around in stock footage, Doral's involvement doesn't offer any new revelations, and many others (such as Roslin) don't appear at all, even in the stock footage.

The script has lots of interesting, clever, and dramatic scenes, but it never comes together into a whole.

And where to even place it in viewing order? There's a very slight framing story with the two Cavils during Lay Down Your Burdens, II, but it's not nearly as defined as the framing story of Razor. Leoben has a flash-forward which includes a key event or two from Maelstrom. And the final scene includes Cavil's dialogue from the episode No Exit.

Meh. I'd have rather seen a Tom Zarek movie. Maybe we can still have one?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 5 2010, 04:52 AM   #275
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
D'Anna isn't in the film at all (I must have missed her appearance via stock footage)
There was one shot of her during the attack sequence, in the scene where the Cylons on a Baseship talk about how they're exterminating humanity for the sake of protecting the children (or rather, their mentally-handicapped siblings, the modern Centurions). There's one close-up of her stolen from some season 3 episode. Oddly, they didn't even include one of her stand-ins out of focus in the wide shot, which made it slightly more obvious that she wasn't really in the scene.

And where to even place it in viewing order? There's a very slight framing story with the two Cavils during Lay Down Your Burdens, II, but it's not nearly as defined as the framing story of Razor. Leoben has a flash-forward which includes a key event or two from Maelstrom. And the final scene includes Cavil's dialogue from the episode No Exit.
I'd slip it in after "No Exit," because it felt like there was a lull between that and "Deadlock" (if only because it seemed like it would've been a little while in story-time before the Cylon/Human combined patrols would've felt relatively normal in the Fleet). It could also go after "Deadlock" without harming the momentum of the final stretch of episodes.
Old February 5 2010, 05:04 AM   #276
Harvey
Admiral

Placing it after No Exit is probably best, but I'll have to see.

I've watched the first third of the miniseries and hope to get back to ther rest of it at some point soon so I can start a retro-review thread. I'll watch Razor during season 2.5 and The Plan during season 4.5, I think.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.