Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 31 2009, 07:17 AM   #196
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
-Anyone want to discuss the deleted scenes? The last one in particular, detailing how Sam's forces got cut in half is the most interesting of them all.
I'm more than willing to discount that, because it just raises so many questions that can never be properly answered. Cavil being captured and then released to give out a trap he "bought" hook line and sinker makes it really stretch credibility that no one decided he was a Cylon Agent (in either sense of the term). There's the question of whether the Cylons really did make pets of the survivors on the Colonies, as a sort of pre-New Caprica, or if they just up and left them to die.

The real kicker, though, is the fact that somehow, Boomer and Caprica were totally played by one or more of the other lines, and we never hear anything more about it ever. Now, this was either before the vote for a truce, in which case "helping" the resistance was pretty premature, or it was after, in which case someone went against the majority's vote, and that's the sort of behavior that gets your ass boxed. If D'anna could get boxed for being a showboat in "Rapture" and not telling the others how she was going to bluff a landing party onto the Algae Planet, whichever One (and you know it was a One) ordered some Centurions to ignore the orders of the Heroes of the Cylon and, more importantly open fire on them should've been in deep shit. Also, I like the idea that Caprica-Cavil's first contact with the Heros' "new ideas" was when the Centurions stopped firing on the Resistance, and he went to talk to the Six, and he just finds out that the rest of Cylon Civilization (excepting his brothers) had independently reached the same conclusion he had.

Actually, that does bring up an interesting thought to ponder. Which lines voted for the Truce? We know the Ones were against, and it's all but guaranteed the Sixes and Eights were for, so what's the rest of the breakdown? The Twos would probably vote for anything that would bring up the possibility of more face-time with Starbuck, so let's put them in the "for" column, and the Threes were pretty batshit at the time ("They don't value life like we do *cocks gun*"), so they're a safe "against."

Which means, for the truce to pass, either the Fours or the Fives (or both) had to vote for it, and later change their minds (or apply a different set of priorities) in the season 4 vote that precipitated the civil war. I'm going to guess the Fours were the swing vote, given what we saw in "The Plan" with Fleet-Simon, and that the Dorals are almost as emotionally stunted as the Cavils are (except that the Dorals' borderline-autism comes out in misplaced wackiness and that creepy robo-stare, as opposed to Cavil's total inability to say anything nice to anyone ever).
Old October 31 2009, 03:12 PM   #197
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I liked the scene but there's no way in hell Cavil could have maintained his cover. And of course, what Boomer and Six were doing there was confusing too. But it was an interesting look at things.

Hadn't thought of that but you're right, it would have needed four of the models to agree to make it pass. That would have been the Sixs and Eights, along with Leoben's line. The Threes weren't exactly friendly towards the humans at this time so it could have come from Simon's line.

Speaking of Simon, it was very nice to see him get some screen time. After The Farm, you hardly ever got any stuff with him.

A notable omission...we really should have seen the actual truce. The Cylons debating and voting on this.

Last edited by DarthPipes; October 31 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old October 31 2009, 03:48 PM   #198
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

A notable omission...we really should have seen the actual truce. The Cylons debating and voting on this.
But then you would have needed Lucy Lawless.

It is already a major plothole that the D'Anna from "Final Cut" never attended any of Cavil's Cylon meetings on Galactica. Was she delibaretly hiding from the others during all that time or what?
Old October 31 2009, 06:24 PM   #199
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Having seen the movie, I can say that I was pretty much blown away by the first twenty minutes... as others have said... everything with the Colonies was beyond spectacular. I also loved how Universal replaced Earth with Caprica in its logo. That was a fun touch.

But aside from that, I agree that this felt like just a clip show, albeit the best one I've ever seen. But I was still expecting a bit more from nuBSG. Maybe if RDM had written it, it would have been far better, IDK. But as it was, it just left too many questions. There was also one mistake in the movie, which IDK how many others noticed...

When Cavil is talking to Doral, about the suicide vest, he tells Doral that one of the other Dorals was outed on Ragnar Anchorage. That's not true. It was a Leoben that was found and killed by Adama on Ragnar.

At least it's not over... the BSG Wiki has it stated by EJO, that there will almost certainly be more BSG productions in the future, and I very much hope so.

Also, upon examining the aerial view of Caprica City, it looks like the city was inspired by NYC...

The basic layout and form of the landmass is reminiscent of Manhattan and Queens/Brooklyn, there are two bridges joining the two areas, on the east side of the island, and there is even a small "in between" island/area, similar to Roosevelt Island. BTW, if anyone has a larger, HD version of this view, I'd love to see it.
Old October 31 2009, 06:59 PM   #200
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
But then you would have needed Lucy Lawless.

It is already a major plothole that the D'Anna from "Final Cut" never attended any of Cavil's Cylon meetings on Galactica. Was she delibaretly hiding from the others during all that time or what?
Yes, you're right. Hadn't thought of that.

Really wish they would have gotten Lawless for this.
Old October 31 2009, 07:19 PM   #201
David cgc
Vice Admiral

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
There was also one mistake in the movie, which IDK how many others noticed...

When Cavil is talking to Doral, about the suicide vest, he tells Doral that one of the other Dorals was outed on Ragnar Anchorage. That's not true. It was a Leoben that was found and killed by Adama on Ragnar.
Both of them were. Baltar fingered Doral as a Cylon while Galactica was docked at Ragnar, and he was left behind on the station when the Fleet left. Since Doral had been a reasonably public figure who got a reasonably public marooning, everyone heard rumors about it, which is how it could've gotten back to Cavil (Crashdown was talking to Boomer about it in "33," remember). However, no one but Adama saw what happened with Leoben after they were trapped behind that hatch on the station (and no one but Adama and the deck crew saw Leoben at all), so that was much easier to keep secret. No one (including Cavil, obviously) would've had any idea that anyone would've recognized Leoben until they made the announcement of the humanoid cylons after the second Doral blew himself up and started showing off pictures of his beaten corpse publicly.

That's a continuity error, by the way. The entire plot of "Litmus" hinges on the fact that someone (read: Boomer) left a hatch open that let Doral slip into a restricted area of the ship, kill a security man, break into a small arms locker, and steal the explosives he used to make his vest, right before he blew himself up. There's no episode if Doral didn't have to steal the explosives right before his attack. In "The Plan," Cavil gives Doral the explosive vest weeks before he blows himself up. I haven't decided to just assume the scenes were reordered for dramatic reasons in "The Plan" and Cavil stole the explosives (with Boomer's help) and gave the vest to Doral during the teaser for "Litmus" (something we have to assume about the Miniseries, as well, since it has Roslin leaving Caprica well before Baltar and Six meet in the park, though we know from "Epiphanies" that she was in the park at the same time they were), or to go for a more complicated fanwank where Doral, Boomer, or Cavil stages a theft and murder right before the bombing to make it look like Doral was operating solo and thus cover Cavil's tracks.
Old October 31 2009, 07:19 PM   #202
PhasersOnStun
Lieutenant Commander

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
I'm guessing that the real-world explanation was that Lawless wasn't available.

In The Plan, Cavil makes an offhanded remark "I've already let a three go off on her own path..." or something like that. That's how they wrote her off. It was really too bad, I would have liked to see her as well. However, the writing of The Plan wasn't exactly stellar, so even if she was there, I'm not sure that it would have been much better...
Old November 1 2009, 12:17 AM   #203
The Wormhole
Admiral

-It's very strange that we didn't see one clip of Roslin. I guess they didn't want to pay Mary McDonnell for the use of her image.
That was weird, especially when they showed the clip of Leoben being shoved out the airlock, a scene which Roslin was obviously in, yet it was edited here to not show her.

-Wouldn't it have been cool though if the kid Cavil killed had been Boxey?
That is a pretty good idea. However, I would imagine the kid has probably noticeably aged since the mini series, so it may have been a bit distracting seeing him so much older and bigger in what was supposed to be months afterwards.
Old November 1 2009, 02:31 AM   #204
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
-It's very strange that we didn't see one clip of Roslin. I guess they didn't want to pay Mary McDonnell for the use of her image.
That was weird, especially when they showed the clip of Leoben being shoved out the airlock, a scene which Roslin was obviously in, yet it was edited here to not show her.

-Wouldn't it have been cool though if the kid Cavil killed had been Boxey?
That is a pretty good idea. However, I would imagine the kid has probably noticeably aged since the mini series, so it may have been a bit distracting seeing him so much older and bigger in what was supposed to be months afterwards.
Oh yeah, they definitely would have had to recast the kid.
Old November 1 2009, 02:55 AM   #205
Checkmate
Commodore

Nah. That's one of the few things in the movie that was perfectly done.

Cavil basically killed his own "head angel," solidifying inability to be redeemed by himself (as seen in his conversation soon thereafter with his other model) or even God himself.
Old November 1 2009, 03:18 AM   #206
Stanley
Lieutenant

At 8:30 there is a shot of what is supposed to be Caprica from space, but it's obviously the Middle East. Sloppy.
Old November 1 2009, 03:41 AM   #207
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Stanley wrote: View Post
At 8:30 there is a shot of what is supposed to be Caprica from space, but it's obviously the Middle East. Sloppy.
It's not the Middle East.
Old November 1 2009, 04:13 AM   #208
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Stanley wrote: View Post
Caprica has a continent that looks oddly similar to Antarctica around the place Australia should be. Just go with it.
Old November 2 2009, 05:38 PM   #209
Scout101
Admiral

Eh, saw it last night, wasn't impressed. Didn't do anything new, just some deleted scenes that could have been in the show just as easily. And after seeing "The Plan", still don't really get what their plan was. Which worked out fine, because neither have the writers, and it changed week to week, season to season anyway.

Just didn't think much of this DVD, was hoping for something a little 'bigger' from all of this. Or at least some different ground, rather than just adding a few minutes here and there to the first couple seasons...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old November 2 2009, 07:40 PM   #210
David cgc
Vice Admiral

You know, there was really only one actual deleted scene in this, right? The bit with Boomer and Gina (yes, that was Gina) on the transport right before Sharon's cover personality is first activated was going to be in Daybreak. Other than that, everything was either all new or stock footage (well, there were some alternate takes for the older stuff, but the scenes themselves had been in the show).