TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 28 2009, 04:18 PM   #151
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

Above Average

I thought they married the clips and new footage perfectly. The story was interesting, even though we know hot it ends. I liked seeing more of the resistance on Caprica, Simon's family in the fleet, and the 2 Cavils manipulating each storyline. I thought it was well done.
Old October 28 2009, 04:19 PM   #152
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Corran Horrrrrrrrible wrote: View Post
It was...ok. Still didn't get all the blanks filled in (who put that note about 12 Cylon models in Adama's quarters) and there was some dumb gratuitous nudity, but there you go.
I don't get what you are saying, are you saying that this was not answered?! Because it was - it was Baltar. (Not that this is anything new, and RDM has said it ages ago that the original cut of the Miniseries was supposed to go to a Baltar scene right after Adama finding the note, so it would've been obvious right there.)
Ah, gotcha. This just might be me mis-remembering from the last time I saw the mini, which was ages ago.

there was some dumb gratuitous nudity
As opposed to smart gratuitous nudity?
Well, I'd call the sex scene smart gratuitous. The bartender (though this might just be showing Colonial excess or maybe just how different their mores are from ours) and the 'locker room' scene (when we've seen a TON of those before with no nudity) seemed a little much.
Old October 28 2009, 04:19 PM   #153
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think I was expecting a lot more to take place BEFORE the attack.
Old October 28 2009, 04:26 PM   #154
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

As for the nudity...you can find that here on Earth...and don't forget that Colonial society is being portrayed as rotten and decadent in Caprica (the series) I figured that was just an extension of that.
It could have been worse...it could have been Ellen and Cavil watching Caprica's Reality TV. Rotten and decadent indeed.
Old October 28 2009, 04:37 PM   #155
The Wormhole
Admiral

Havinv just watched The Plan myself I'll say it was satisfactory. Nothing special, but not disappointing either. It was entertaining. Some specific things I'd like to point out:

-This actually did a pretty good job at creating individual personalities for different copies of the same Cylon model. It's a bit of a shame they never went to this extent in the series.

-Nitpick regarding continuity. The Five (Doral) that deteonated himself in a suicide bombing. Here in The Plan it's established he was on Galactica since the attack. Yet, in the S1 episode, we see him boarding the ship with a group of civilians.

-Complaint: was it really necessary to include that kid that kept following Cavil around? The fact that Cavil was going to kill him was too predictable. And really, what purpose did this serve? Prove that Cavil is an evil bastard? Because we already knew that.
Old October 28 2009, 05:35 PM   #156
JCBos
Commander

The Five that detonated himself in a suicide bombing. Here in The Plan it's established he was on Galactica since the attack. Yet, in the S1 episode, we see him boarding the ship with a group of civilians.
One of the quibbles I had: that Cavil apparently made the meeting spot for the Cylons be on the Galactica, and not some random, out of the way ship in the Fleet where they'd be less likely to be noticed.

One bit of continuity I did like; Boomer's "There are Eight!" response to Baltar's question about how many Cylons there were in the fleet was correct (at the time she was asked):

Cavil, D'Anna, Dark Six, Simon, Tory, Tyrol, Saul and Ellen

Until he stabbed him, I thought the boy was in Cavil's head. The kid said his name was "John", which was Cavil's name.

Did they say whatever happened to Dark Six in the movie?
Old October 28 2009, 08:05 PM   #157
PhasersOnStun
Lieutenant Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Havinv just watched The Plan myself I'll say it was satisfactory. Nothing special, but not disappointing either. It was entertaining.
I agree with that. Things that stuck out to me:

* For a film called "The Plan" they sure seemed to be doing an awful lot of winging it.

* The writing wasn't as good, IMO, as the series. For example, in the series, I found the Hybrid's speech to be very poetic...here it seems more forced.

* It had some internal consistency issues. For example, Whore Six seems to come and go from Cavil's chapel, and yet since her model is discovered, she can't go out since as she puts it her "cover is blown."

* The FX were great

* It never explained why the other models went along with Cavil to begin with. We have the basic idea (humanity enslaved cylons, revenge, etc) but since we know why the model Ones initially hatched The Plan it would have been interesting to see how they would have sold it to the others.

* It was nice to see other Cylons feeling for humanity, and finding love.

* I've always enjoyed the Anders character, it was great to see more of him.

* Cavil killing the boy was overdone, but it was an interesting contrast with Caprica Six snapping the neck of the baby in the miniseries. Caprica Six, even at the time, looks very conflicted. Cavil...not so much.
Old October 28 2009, 08:51 PM   #158
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ I thought the cylons went along with Cavil because they were impressionable children in a way.
Old October 28 2009, 09:12 PM   #159
PhasersOnStun
Lieutenant Commander

Agent Richard0'Lantern wrote: View Post
^ I thought the cylons went along with Cavil because they were impressionable children in a way.
That sounds like as good a reason as any. But I would have enjoyed a scene or two showing that. Especially since in The Plan we see his "impressionable siblings" start having their own thoughts and feelings, a few scenes setting up how Cavil told them what to do would have made that even more dramatically satisfying (at least to me).
Old October 28 2009, 10:09 PM   #160
ncc74302
Captain

Send a message via AIM to ncc74302 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ncc74302 Send a message via Yahoo to ncc74302

ncc74302 wrote: View Post

I am sure Bear will write a blog entry after The Plan hits stores with a blow by blow of the score, and I'm sure he'll explain his rationale here.

Well, whataya know.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=2834
Old October 28 2009, 10:52 PM   #161
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I nodded off during the middle of the film, more from being tired than disinterest. So I'll have to watch it again to give a fuller review. I had a question though. When Cavil was talking to Boomer, was she in some type of trance? Did he have the ability to put her in a trance? Or was she blocking out the unpleasant Cylon memories/side of her personality on her own?

Oh what the heck...here's my two cents. From what I did see, I enjoyed it. I don't think its essential viewing and it does get a little confusing jumping from scene to scene, especially if you haven't seen the first and second seasons in a long while, like I haven't. Though it was cool to see some of the unexplained things that happened on the show, like who Six was talking to on Caprica in the pilot, wound up being answered by the film.

I also like the expanded role for Simon. He was one of the most neglected Cylons during the show's run. Good he got some face time here, and an interesting plotline. Did his wife ever show up again, in Seasons 4.0/4.5? She was pretty hot.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't do much with Tori. Also, Leoben didn't seem to do much except listen in on Starbuck's transmissions. I do like the interaction between the Cylons, particularly Cavil's disdain for the Doral model. And I thought Ellen looked great in that little red dress.

One thing that bothered me was that the Cylon Centurions looked different. Leaner and more shiny than on the show. I liked the other ones better.
Old October 29 2009, 12:23 AM   #162
JCBos
Commander

Did his wife ever show up again, in Seasons 4.0/4.5?
Not that I know of; she was in the mini-series (one of the people rescused from Caprica by Sharon), but that's it until this movie.
Old October 29 2009, 12:23 AM   #163
The Wormhole
Admiral

Here's an oddity I noticed here. Cavil seemed to diss the Fours and Fives yet they side with him in the civil war. Meanwhile, this movie also features Cavil getting along with the Twos and Sixes, who turn against him in the civil war. That seemed kind of odd to me.
Old October 29 2009, 02:23 AM   #164
Mr Light
Admiral

I enjoyed this flick a LOT more than I thought I would. While I like BSG I always felt it was too slow and depressing, but this story fired on all cylinders. Cavil is far and away my favorite character in the show, so that fact the entire movie starred him (TWO of him!) was all kinds of wonderful. I also loved how they retro-actively made it seem like they knew where the story was going all along, filling in all the many plot holes of the nebulous Cylon actions and motives. It was such a hoot seeing an increasingly disgruntled Cavil sending off his brethen on their failed suicide missions, lol. And the depiction of the Fall of the Colonies was absolutely gorgeous. I particularly geeked out at seeing the asymmetrical Base Stars rotating into position to become massive guns pointed at the planets. Correct me if I'm wrong but we never saw them do that in the show.

Old October 29 2009, 02:33 AM   #165
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Well they werent guns they just looked like they were positioned to enter the atmosphere and turned to launch a massive barrage of nukes at the Colonies (although a. they had to be many low yield nukes and b. they attacked sites with conventional weaponry) I guess with the idea that they would live in some of the colonies and reboot civilization...the Cylon way.