Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support

Ryan Joins Arrow

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old October 13 2009, 12:08 PM   #1
TV Lowdown
Ensign

View TV Lowdown's Twitter Profile
Dollhouse guaranteed 13 eps for S2, but that could be the end...

It's been confirmed that all 13 episodes that Fox ordered for S2 of Dollhouse will air on TV, after weeks of rumours that the show would be pulled from the air after poor ratings for the opening episodes.

The confirmation from Fox is here, with a few words from Joss Whedon on the matter as well.

What do you think? Is it fair to assume that the show won't live beyond the 13 episodes, or could there be a last minute reprieve? After all, the fact that they got a second season at all was miraculous.
TV Lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile
Re: Dollhouse guaranteed 13 eps for S2, but that could be the end...

There's no way in hell there will be a 2X14. I'm shocked they're going to air the episodes as it is. Of course they didn't say it would be in the same time slot. They're currently burning off the remaining episodes of "Sit Down and Shut Up" Saturdays at MIDNIGHT. What an insult
Old October 13 2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Timezshadow
Ensign

I think this is good news. I'm a fan of the show and was crossing my fingers hoping the show would, at least, finish out this season. Now I can look forward to regular typing again

Mike
Timezshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Forbin
Admiral

Glad it'll happen. I hope they take the opportunity to give the show either a solid ending, or a suitably intriguing and ominous (non-cliffhanger) open ending.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 01:42 PM   #5
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Heck, I'm just happy the remaining 6 episodes are being shot. I was afraid FOX was going to pull a Tru Calling on us and not even let them finish shooting the season. Beyond that, I'm less concerned about whether the episodes are aired or not. I'll see the DVDs eventually. I'd be very surprised if there was a Season 3. But then, I'm very surprised there is a Season 2.

The good news is the Joss Whedon has a tendency to end his seasons with a certain degree of closure. Even if he leaves you wanting more, knowing that there's a rich, full universe left to explore, he tends to not end his seasons mid sentence. (Angel Season 3 is the only major exception I can think of to that rule. But then, at that point, UPN was contractually obligated to pick up Season 4 if the WB canceled it.)
Old October 13 2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Seems like a good news/bad news situation no doubt at the present.

The MLB playoffs are most damaging in the immediate present though. With a slight uptick from ep2 - ep 3 we could hope that steadily continues, however with baseball interrupting that the viwerer who sees baseball instead of DH when the TV is turned on may think that DH has been cancelled, thus losing potential viewers.

The best case would be that once baseball is done going into November sweeps FOX actually advertise that new DH will be airing. Let the cards then fall where they may.

Came across this info as well regarding the DVR/Tivo rankings for DH. Good news is this:
Dollhouse and Smallville tied for the largest gain in viewers, with each obtaining 50 percent more viewers in the seven days following their initial airings.
Both shows also saw a jump in their ratings this past Friday. Dollhouse pulled in 2.25 million viewers, improving on the previous week by a quarter million viewers.
Again, it would be bad for baseball to possibly damage any potential rebound for DH. Cause it clearly could.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

TV Lowdown wrote: View Post
What do you think? Is it fair to assume that the show won't live beyond the 13 episodes, or could there be a last minute reprieve?
There will be no reprieve on FOX.

No idea what else might happen, but the odds are always long against a successful change of venue. Quite a pity, really. I've come to like the show enormously.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

They really should aim to give the show closure inside the 13 episodes for this season, as barring intervention of biblical proportions there's just no way on earth it'll be back next year.
Old October 13 2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

The only way Dollhouse would win a reprieve from Fox would be if its ratings doubled over the course of the season, and even then there's no guarantee. It's nice to know that Fox will stand by its commitment to produce and air all 13 episodes. It definitely will give Joss an opportunity to craft some sort of ending. There will be no third season of Dollhouse unless there's a miracle, or a cable network is interested in picking it up.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

As noted by another I'm just glad that, if this Fox executive can be trusted, all 13 ordered episodes will be shot.
It was nothing two years ago for FOX to order 13 episodes of New Amsterdam, then cut it to 7 and cancel the show before it aired. Having aired(on Friday of all things) only due to lack of other options it then gets around 7million viewers and dropping to an average of 6 over the airings and nobody thinks to restart production? Good numbers for a Friday, Dollhouse would take them.

Shooting 13 episodes may be right but airing them could change.
I do hope for some type of push post MLB playoffs that might see the ratings climb.
Old October 13 2009, 05:00 PM   #11
John Clark
Commodore

Enjoyed the first series in general and the second is due to start here shortly.

If season 2 is going to be just 13 episodes with no hope of renewal, I just hope they finish it properly.
Old October 13 2009, 05:02 PM   #12
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I don't think that there is "no hope".
I think it's realistic to say that the hope is razor margin thin though.
As for ordering additional episodes or a third season, Fox says it will make that decision after the current run.
Viewership is what could alter the situation in favor of more DH. Could.
Old October 13 2009, 05:12 PM   #13
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

They can just tell fans of the show to watch the first and second seasons and then watch the episode that never aired that explained everything.
Old October 13 2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'd rather they leave it open-ended than rush it to a conclusion.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 06:53 PM   #15
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
I'd rather they leave it open-ended than rush it to a conclusion.
They will conclude it in a comic book series.