Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 6 2013, 02:33 PM   #91
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Roland Emmerich & Dean Devlin want to make Independence Day 2 (ID4

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And as for Stargate... I would like to see a return of Kurt Russell and James Spader. The Stargate story can allow for that. Open up the Stargate 30 years later.
Except the article says they won't use Russell or Spader because they're "too old."
Old September 6 2013, 02:58 PM   #92
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Well, if it's a reboot they're after then this clearly makes sense. Although I could see them in a potential cameo if they didn't think it would be a waste of their time. Either way, not a big deal.
Old September 6 2013, 04:22 PM   #93
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
And as for Stargate... I would like to see a return of Kurt Russell and James Spader. The Stargate story can allow for that. Open up the Stargate 30 years later.
Except the article says they won't use Russell or Spader because they're "too old."
And that was my point.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 04:28 PM   #94
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

You would think that Smith after the utter failure that is called After Earth would be eager to revive his career with a sure guaranteed success of ID4 [2] and be less concerned about the money.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:26 PM   #95
Harvey
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
You would think that Smith after the utter failure that is called After Earth would be eager to revive his career with a sure guaranteed success of ID4 [2] and be less concerned about the money.
Well, of course he's concerned about the money. But, the fact that he's back in talks to do the movie is pretty indicative of his career at the moment.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 07:58 AM   #96
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Meredith wrote: View Post
I like the idea of a resource starved earth (due to the invasion by aliens) invading some other alien planet the same way they invaded us, and us getting our asses handed back to us....
i'd call it Memorial day...though it'll sound like an Avatar ripoff (because you'll need at least SOME humans to rebel against the new Earther invaders)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I thought they were already setting up ID4-2 with the son of Will Smith's character from the first one. The kid would probably grow up to be part of the next wave of soldiers against the aliens.
Definitely makes sense to have the young children come back with a role...and you can cast from a number of people (and also get pre-filmed flashbacks)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Adam Baldwin needs to be back and be promoted to General in charge of the Earth Defense Fleet.
That would be pretty cool.
Definitely one of those things that can/should be done.

Also, I would have Will Smith as a cameo...kinda like Robotech's Rick Hunter who "got lost" during New Generation. But he'd show up at the end and straighten things out.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 04:25 PM   #97
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
Well, of course he's concerned about the money. But, the fact that he's back in talks to do the movie is pretty indicative of his career at the moment.
I think Will Smith is finally realizing that he and his family aren't the big shots he thought and now will come back to get his career on track again.
Old September 8 2013, 05:47 PM   #98
cylkoth
Commodore

STOP picking on Smith!!! Every successful actor, has had a movie not perform well. And Earth has taken in a total $243,611,982 million worldwide, (and will rake in more with dvd/blu ray and pay tv sales coming in the next few months) so I don't see this as the HUGE disaster movie critics enjoyed making it out to be.

Yes M Night is a lightning rod for controversy. But I keep getting the feeling that people seem more interested in joining in on bashing Smith for reasons having nothing to do with how good-or bad, this movie actually was.
Old September 8 2013, 11:28 PM   #99
Morpheus 02
Commodore

cylkoth wrote: View Post
STOP picking on Smith!!! Every successful actor, has had a movie not perform well. And Earth has taken in a total $243,611,982 million worldwide, (and will rake in more with dvd/blu ray and pay tv sales coming in the next few months) so I don't see this as the HUGE disaster movie critics enjoyed making it out to be.

Yes M Night is a lightning rod for controversy. But I keep getting the feeling that people seem more interested in joining in on bashing Smith for reasons having nothing to do with how good-or bad, this movie actually was.

The movie wasn't horrible. My 8 year old girl loved it...and I liked it too.

Not a franchise starter as was hoped, but not horrid.

ANd poor M. Night....the Last Airbender wasn't awful either. Maybe not great for ADULTS...but I think works for kids (the intended audience).

Hope he can find something, now that his "6th Sense" "aura" has been completely shaken off.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:46 AM   #100
Reverend
Rear Admiral

ANd poor M. Night....the Last Airbender wasn't awful either. Maybe not great for ADULTS...but I think works for kids (the intended audience).
No, no, it was most assuredly awful. On every level. Not only was it an insulting adaptation, it wasn't even a good film in it's own right. Any kid who enjoyed that should get tested for possible brain damage. Ed Wood could have done better. Honestly, I have no idea how MNS keeps getting funding for these things. He hasn't put out a *good* film since 'Unbreakable' and that's been over a decade now I think.

Anyway, are they really moving ahead with ID4.2? I've heard rumours about this (and the "official" Stargate sequel) for years.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 01:08 AM   #101
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

You sure you're not confusing opinion with fact?
Old September 9 2013, 01:22 AM   #102
Reverend
Rear Admiral

You sure you're not confusing opinion with fact?
About Airbender? No. Not even slightly...well OK, I'll concede that the costume design, cinematography and editing was competent and that some of the actors did the best they could. But that's all.

I know art is subjective (I am an artist after all), but being art doesn't mean it's any good. Quality can be an objective thing. Bad writing is bad writing, bad acting is bad acting and Airbender was a bad movie.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I have a soft spot for a number of bad films, but that doesn't make them better films.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:47 PM   #103
Mooch
Fleet Captain

$243,611,982 million
$243,611,982 million = $243,611,982,000,000. That's more than the GDP of the entire world.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:24 PM   #104
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mooch wrote: View Post
$243,611,982 million
$243,611,982 million = $243,611,982,000,000. That's more than the GDP of the entire world.
Like you didn't know what he meant. You are not Siri.
Old September 11 2013, 08:34 PM   #105
Leviathan
Commander

Mooch wrote: View Post
$243,611,982 million
So. If we can muster up $243,611,983 can we bribe them to not make it?
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote