Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 11 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Blackmm
Ensign

About the falling scene..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQVwE...eature=related

This always confused me. If they were moving at terminal velocity, shouldn't they have hit the transporter pad at the same speed instead of the small bounce they encountered?
Blackmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 07:52 PM   #2
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: About the falling scene..

Blackmm wrote: View Post

This always confused me. If they were moving at terminal velocity, shouldn't they have hit the transporter pad at the same speed instead of the small bounce they encountered?
Not really.
The transporter dematerialized and rematerialized Kirk and Sulu a few centimeters above the pad, killing all or at least most of their acceleration from the Vulcan drop in the process.
If nothing else, there should be safeguards making sure of such things.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

I don't know, it seems to me, they are hitting that pad pretty hard.

Does anyone know what Chekov says after he says "YEAH" ...he says another word(?) which i have yet to figure out.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 08:02 PM   #4
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Yeoman Rancid wrote: View Post
I don't know, it seems to me, they are hitting that pad pretty hard.

Does anyone know what Chekov says after he says "YEAH" ...he says another word(?) which i have yet to figure out.
At what point do you mean ? After he beams them ? He says some stuff in Russian.

Old October 11 2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Yeah...it sounds like he says, "Yeah Mayore!" But, the
Mayore" is the word i cant figure out. I mean,, unless he is saying Yeah Mayore! WTF?
Old October 11 2009, 08:13 PM   #6
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Mayore" is the word i cant figure out. I mean,, unless he is saying Yeah Mayore! WTF?
You are correct, he does say the Yeah Mayore thing but that's just what it sounds like. What he says is actually in Russian.

From a Yelchin interview :

Yelchin: There are certain things in the movie that are very Russian that is difficult for an American audience to pick up on.
Like when [Kirk and Sulu] freefall and I capture them and I say something in Russian….[says Russian phrase]…it means "Oh man!" basically, which is something I ad-libbed. Which goes back to what I was saying.
Chekov never speaks Russian in the series, and that was Russian slang. And that that is something I decided to add just for the hell of it, because JJ [Abrams] said ‘throw in some Russian, let’s do it for fun.’
It was just a moment that needed some kind of reaction, and they loved it out there. It is one of those things that Russian people get.

Old October 11 2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Salvor, THANK YOU!! Its been driving me crazy since the first time i saw the movie!
(yeah, i know. short drive)
Old October 11 2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I'd imagine that Chekov's line, "Compensating for gravitational pull..." was meant to explain why they didn't go splat on the transporter pad.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
You are correct, he does say the Yeah Mayore thing but that's just what it sounds like. What he says is actually in Russian.

Yelchin: There are certain things in the movie that are very Russian that is difficult for an American audience to pick up on.
Like when [Kirk and Sulu] freefall and I capture them and I say something in Russian….[says Russian phrase]…it means "Oh man!" basically, which is something I ad-libbed. Which goes back to what I was saying.
Chekov never speaks Russian in the series, and that was Russian slang. And that that is something I decided to add just for the hell of it, because JJ [Abrams] said ‘throw in some Russian, let’s do it for fun.’
It was just a moment that needed some kind of reaction, and they loved it out there. It is one of those things that Russian people get.

Then i am guessing he does the same thing in another line that has been driving me crazy. Right after Pike gives Chekov the command to do the ship wide announcement, Chekov says, "Yes sir" and follows that with what sounds like "Rapidtoo". I guess he is saying, "Right away"? or something to that effect?
Old October 11 2009, 11:14 PM   #10
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

I've started saying "Ya Mayo!" when I get excited. I wish Yelchin would go more into detail about what he's saying and what it means.
Old October 11 2009, 11:24 PM   #11
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Then i am guessing he does the same thing in another line that has been driving me crazy. Right after Pike gives Chekov the command to do the ship wide announcement, Chekov says, "Yes sir" and follows that with what sounds like "Rapidtoo". I guess he is saying, "Right away"? or something to that effect?
Actually, what he said there was I believe " Yes sir. Happy to."

Old October 12 2009, 01:45 AM   #12
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

^ Confirmed by the subtitles transcript.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

^ AHA! makes way more sense! Can't tell you how my obsessive little mind has been agonizing over these lines! I think thats the last of it....(although, i'm sure if i think about it some more i'll remember another one)

THANKS GUYS!
Old October 12 2009, 02:47 PM   #14
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Not really.
The transporter dematerialized and rematerialized Kirk and Sulu a few centimeters above the pad, killing all or at least most of their acceleration from the Vulcan drop in the process.
If nothing else, there should be safeguards making sure of such things.
That's what I always figured. I would imagine the ability to kill an acceleration like that to be one of the reasons why they would have transporter technology in the first place.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

The Heisenberg compensator just does its job, it compensates.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote