Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 20 2009, 05:37 PM   #16
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept
Re: Paranormal Activity

roguephoenix wrote: View Post
WORST THING YOU WILL EVER SEE! they should have called it Paranormal Craptivity. that would be a more accurate title. NOTHING HAPPENS. the trailer IS the movie. i have been on a campaign telling people about this crap. watch the trailer and you've seen everything there is to see in the movie.
indeed
the only good thing about the movie is that the girl has a nice rack

the ending was horrible . . . absolutely no resolution to the story
and I've seen better demon faces on youtube . . .
Old October 20 2009, 08:38 PM   #17
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Paranormal Activity

My grade: B+

-------------------------------------------

I just got back from seeing it. Decent enough movie with some decent scares and sense of atmosphere in it. I can certainly see how it'd really spook someone if they saw it at night.

The movie purports to be recovered video-camera footage of an "engaged to be engaged" couple's experiences with a haunting, a haunting entity that has been following the girl since she was eight. Her boyfriend purchased the camera that records the movie's events in an attempt to document whatever is (or is not) going on in their home and he increasingly does more and more things to "taunt out" what they're told is a demon by a hired psychic. The nightly events grow more and more intense as the days wear on.

The camera work is far more steady than other hand-held camera movies that've came out in the past (Blair Witch, Cloverfield) and the movie features all of four actors (the boyfriend and girlfriend, the girlfriend's friend and the psychic) and the action takes palce entirely in their home.

Again, the movie has some decent "real" scares in it but more than that the scares and fears in it are going to be psycological and in atmosphere. All and all a decent enough scary movie suited for this time of year.
Old October 22 2009, 07:18 AM   #18
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

Just came from seeing it tonight with my girlfriend and here is our review as we both had basically the same opinion. A caveat before I give my opinion is that this review is based mostly on how the film sounds as we had our eyes closed most of the time. That is not an indication of how scary it is, but how prone to motion sickness we both are. The Blair Witch Syndrome kicked in big time at about 15 minutes in and both of us were heavily nauseous for the rest of the film. If you are prone to that I'd recommend taking some Dramamine, siting way in the back, or waiting for the DVD to come out.

Based on word of mouth we were expecting the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well it wasn't. It was however an effective and creepy if somewhat formulaic haunted house story. I agree with the assessment that the film will stay with you after you see it and it is the contemplation of it rather than the viweing of it which is the scarier experience. I suppose that is the hallmark of a good haunted house film when for days after every stray noise in your house is interpreted as a demonic possession(because of course demons always wait until after you have seen a scary movie to start haunting your house).

The strength of the film was its realistic depiction of how a couple might act in a similar situation. Both actors were convincing and attractive, but not in a Hollywood way. The slow ratcheting up of the tension was both a plus and a minus. It builds to an effective level of fear, but also makes the film seem a bit sluggish in getting to where it wants to go. The Blair-Witch-esque ending simaltaneously comes across as shocking and yet also somewhat overboard ands perhaps too abrupt. The attempt to make this seem like "real footage" was not as effective as Blair Witch And like most of these hand-held camera movies there are times when you are wondering why anyone would have a camera on them at that time. The film didn't break any new ground as far as haunted house films go being fairly standard approach to it. Its willingness to take its time, not go overboard with the haunting, and realistic veneer all added up to a genuinely creepy and scary experience though and I'd recommend the film to anyone in search of a good scare.
Old October 22 2009, 11:14 AM   #19
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I saw it last night and enjoyed it a lot. I agree with most of the reviews posted in the thread, all through the movie I was reminded of Blair Witch which I'm still a big fan of and was back in 99. This is this decades Blair Witch I think. It does take almost half hour to get into the film. I think the movie also did a great job of depicting the differences between Micah and Katie. I am scared easily so I was freaked...especially during the last twenty minutes of the movie. The psychic was great, I thought the dude who played him did a good job and I agree with the poster who stated he was another plot device to keep them in the house. I'm in love now with Katie Featherston (not nearly as over dramatic and annoying as Heather Donahue was in Blair Witch and much easier on the eyes) and thought both the actors performances were pretty good.

Spoilers perhaps...but which ending did everyone see? I read on wikipedia that there are at least three alternate endings. The one I saw had

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2009, 11:30 AM   #20
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I saw it last night and enjoyed it a lot. I agree with most of the reviews posted in the thread, all through the movie I was reminded of Blair Witch which I'm still a big fan of and was back in 99. This is this decades Blair Witch I think. It does take almost half hour to get into the film. I think the movie also did a great job of depicting the differences between Micah and Katie. I am scared easily so I was freaked...especially during the last twenty minutes of the movie. The psychic was great, I thought the dude who played him did a good job and I agree with the poster who stated he was another plot device to keep them in the house. I'm in love now with Katie Featherston (not nearly as over dramatic and annoying as Heather Donahue was in Blair Witch and much easier on the eyes) and thought both the actors performances were pretty good.

Spoilers perhaps...but which ending did everyone see? I read on wikipedia that there are at least three alternate endings. The one I saw had
The ending I saw was...SPOILERS AHEAD

Katie wakes up and stands over Micah for about an hour. The covers get pulled off Micah. She goes downstairs and starts screaming. Micah runs down to check on her(this is all off camera of course) and you hear a struggle and Micah screams. Slowly you hear ponderous footsteps up the stairs. Out of nowhere Micah gets flinged into the camera really fast. Katie appears and her shirt is covered with blood. She slowly crawls on all fours over to Micah and starts to sniff him like an animal. She looks in to that camera with a demonic snarl and attacks the camera. The End. I'm curious my version ended with a title card that said that Katie was never found. In your version was there any title cards after the movie ended?
Old October 22 2009, 11:41 AM   #21
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

^
That is the theatrical ending and what most audiences should be seeing, the "police" ending is on the DVD screener that leaked online over the past couple of days. It sounds better than the theatrical ending so I may actually have to Youtube it just to see it.

Last edited by The Evil Dead; October 22 2009 at 12:08 PM.
The Evil Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2009, 04:43 PM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Dark Journey wrote: View Post
Just came from seeing it tonight with my girlfriend and here is our review as we both had basically the same opinion. A caveat before I give my opinion is that this review is based mostly on how the film sounds as we had our eyes closed most of the time. That is not an indication of how scary it is, but how prone to motion sickness we both are. The Blair Witch Syndrome kicked in big time at about 15 minutes in and both of us were heavily nauseous for the rest of the film. If you are prone to that I'd recommend taking some Dramamine, siting way in the back, or waiting for the DVD to come out.
Considering the camera was sitting on a table or the tripod most of the time you and the GF must be really prone to motion sickness. How on earth do you watch a Michael Bay movie?
Old October 22 2009, 04:49 PM   #23
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Here's the Spoony Experiment Review.

It's pretty long (about 45 minutes) and rambling but worth listening to as Spoony gets into his feelings of the "horror genre" overall.
Old October 22 2009, 06:36 PM   #24
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

Wolvermouse wrote: View Post
Dark Journey wrote: View Post
Considering the camera was sitting on a table or the tripod most of the time you and the GF must be really prone to motion sickness. How on earth do you watch a Michael Bay movie?

Uhhh, don't. Haven't seen a one since the Rock.
Old October 23 2009, 12:15 AM   #25
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I saw the original film online (I know that's frowned upon these parts) and I guess that was the copy of the film they had. I want to see the theater version which I read was suggested by Steven Speilberg.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 12:38 AM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I saw the original film online (I know that's frowned upon these parts)....
Yes, seeing movies that you're not paying for is going to be frowned on. Being that it's illegal and immoral and all.
Old October 23 2009, 01:00 PM   #27
stueyross
Captain

Send a message via ICQ to stueyross Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to stueyross

illegal okay. Immoral? Behave yourself. If I watch this online and then go and see it at the cinema would that pacify your moral sensibilities?
stueyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 02:08 PM   #28
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I heard there was an ending involving pine trees?

I saw the ending Dark Journey saw
Old October 24 2009, 02:20 AM   #29
Lookingglassman
Admiral

It sounds interesting, but what I dont understand is why dont they just leave the house? I never understood that about folks who live in a "haunted house".

I own a home, but if creepy stuff started happening, the bank can have it. I will live out of my car before I stay another night in it.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 02:57 AM   #30
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
It sounds interesting, but what I dont understand is why dont they just leave the house? I never understood that about folks who live in a "haunted house".

I own a home, but if creepy stuff started happening, the bank can have it. I will live out of my car before I stay another night in it.
I'm guessing you haven't seen it.