Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 11 2009, 12:40 AM   #31
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: NBC cancels Southland

^ Leno made a joke about that the other day too.

I'll admit it - I watch on Mondays.
Old October 11 2009, 02:08 AM   #32
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I think NBC is already where ideas go to die because the other networks rejected the ideas. it would explain why EVERY show on NBC is trash.
And yet some other networks have been having success with NBC's castoffs, like Medium on CBS & Scrubs on ABC.

the_constable wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
... In the meantime, FOX, the CW, UPN, & the WB never had any 10pm programming to begin with, yet no one is talking about that.
Out of your four examples, two don't exist anymore (UPN & the WB merged to form the CW, remember?).

Leavin' just FOX and the CW...FOX started out as a light network, that, back when it first hit, I couldn't even get 'cause I lived too far from D/FW!
I know that UPN & the WB merged into the CW. I'm just mentioning them because they are still part of modern TV history.

As for FOX, I realize that it started out as a minor league network akin to the CW, UPN, & the WB. However, no one will dispute that FOX is a major network now. So why don't they expand their lineup to include 10pm programming? (Certainly I would prefer an extra 5 hours of FOX programming over the endless news broadcasts that are currently on here on FOX10.)
Old October 11 2009, 03:09 AM   #33
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

I don't know about everywhere else, but everywhere I have been & watched television, the ten o'clock (or nine, for those in the CST) hour is filled with the local newscast.

When they first started, I remember it bein' promoted as knowin' the news an hour sooner or something...

So, that's why FOX doesn't have network programmin' durin' that last hour.
Old October 11 2009, 03:10 AM   #34
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I think NBC is already where ideas go to die because the other networks rejected the ideas. it would explain why EVERY show on NBC is trash.
And yet some other networks have been having success with NBC's castoffs, like Medium on CBS & Scrubs on ABC.
Medium should have never been canceled by NBC, and it only was because they got rid of the 10pm shows.

Scrubs is not close to a success, like 5 million people might watch tops. It's only still going so ABC gets rerun money.
Old October 11 2009, 03:43 AM   #35
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Medium is, thankfully, going strong and building off it's lead in.

The producers have also gotten some pretty good digs into NBC too since the move. I read an interview where one of the producers, Caron I believe, said that CBS has put more ad dollars into Medium over the summer than NBC did for the entire run.
Old October 11 2009, 04:23 AM   #36
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^

I don't know about everywhere else, but everywhere I have been & watched television, the ten o'clock (or nine, for those in the CST) hour is filled with the local newscast.

When they first started, I remember it bein' promoted as knowin' the news an hour sooner or something...

So, that's why FOX doesn't have network programmin' durin' that last hour.
But that's only a local thing. Back in the early 1990s in Arizona, FOX was on channel 15. Back then, channel 15 didn't have a local newscast. Instead, the 9pm (10pm for you coasties) slot was filled with reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Currently in Arizona, CW6 fills that timeslot with reruns of Friends & The King of Queens while My45 has reruns of Family Guy & King of the Hill.
Old October 11 2009, 06:19 AM   #37
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

No, you have no other venues for a gritty show. Bravo? USA? Fox did the same thing a few years ago to a pilot called Faceless. They wanted to make it, but felt the need to remove all sex, drug use, and smoking. Sure, you don't have any of that on FX, no not at all.

http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogsp.../faceless.html
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 12:21 PM   #38
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

However, no one will dispute that FOX is a major network now. So why don't they expand their lineup to include 10pm programming? (Certainly I would prefer an extra 5 hours of FOX programming over the endless news broadcasts that are currently on here on FOX10.)
A lot of affiliates would bolt; the 10 o'clock newscast is too entrenched, and there's a lot of jockeying for ratings glory with the local newscasts.

That's the troubling aspect of the Jay Leno experiment; NBC is willing to take low ratings for the show (because it's cheap), but the local channels are bleeding ratings on their local newscasts because of the weak lead-in. The question isn't how long NBC keeps Jay Leno at 10, the question is how long until the affiliates make some sort of public backlash at NBC.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 03:48 PM   #39
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
However, no one will dispute that FOX is a major network now. So why don't they expand their lineup to include 10pm programming? (Certainly I would prefer an extra 5 hours of FOX programming over the endless news broadcasts that are currently on here on FOX10.)
A lot of affiliates would bolt; the 10 o'clock newscast is too entrenched, and there's a lot of jockeying for ratings glory with the local newscasts.

That's the troubling aspect of the Jay Leno experiment; NBC is willing to take low ratings for the show (because it's cheap), but the local channels are bleeding ratings on their local newscasts because of the weak lead-in. The question isn't how long NBC keeps Jay Leno at 10, the question is how long until the affiliates make some sort of public backlash at NBC.

That has already happened. The NBC station in Boston threatened not to show Jay Leno and do a 10 pm new because they thought more people would watch. NBC said if they did that they would strip the network of their NBC name and form their own network to show NBC shows. I guess the Boston channel back-downed.
Old October 11 2009, 07:59 PM   #40
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

TharpDevilport wrote: View Post
Leno's ratings are low and have been going down. They should shove Leno out of the way.
Leno also doesn't cost a thing compared to a scripted drama. NBC has already said they're going to keep Leno as is for several seasons regardless of how poorly he may do because it's cheap.

Last edited by Squiggy; October 11 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 08:03 PM   #41
nx1701g
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

That has already happened. The NBC station in Boston threatened not to show Jay Leno and do a 10 pm new because they thought more people would watch. NBC said if they did that they would strip the network of their NBC name and form their own network to show NBC shows. I guess the Boston channel back-downed.
I remember that. The affiliate wanted to show a 10 o'clock news broadcast because they felt that the Leno experiment would fail. NBC quickly told them, and all of their other channels, that it was also the only warning that their affiliates would get (it applied to all NBC affiliates).
Old October 12 2009, 05:30 AM   #42
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

How typical. Remember scripted shows? The original networks are going to continue to loose numbers if all they show is news, talk, and reality. What network just got rid of Guiding Light? The longest running show EVER and it doesn't do enough according to TPTB. I don't even watch regular television. Haven't in years due to the sucky options and ridiculous time slots. Networks needed to be overhauled just like the publishing industry.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 10:19 PM   #43
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Latest is that TNT may be picking it up.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 10:35 PM   #44
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
Latest is that TNT may be picking it up.
Dead Like Me was going to The WB, Reaper was going to go to syndication.... I'll believe it when I hear it come from the TNT's president's mouth.
Old October 14 2009, 12:24 AM   #45
Harvey
Admiral

As for shows not workin' out in the midseason, someone better tell the producers of 24 that they've been on borrowed time for...what? the last three seasons (not to mention the year gap)?
The last four seasons, actually, plus the strike delay as you mentioned (four, five, six, writer's strike, seven). But 24 is highly serialized, and highly advertised, so its model may not work for other television shows.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote