Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 7 2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Your favorite TV romances and why?

What are your favorite TV romances? And why are they your favorites?
And do you think TV romances are realistic or just rotted in the world of TV than the touch of real life?
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Caleuche
Commander

Re: Your favorite TV romances and why?

John and Aeryn in Farscape and John and Delenn in Babylon 5. In both cases they were realistic relationships, neither was ever perfect and yet you never doubted that they didn't really love each other and both characters were always equal. A large number of television shows even today seem to view marriage/love as something sickly sweet in which the woman adopts a vacant 'husband knows best' attitude. It always just to confuse me as a kid that no one on television ever had a arguement like my parents did and yet still be shown to still love each other.
Caleuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Xena and Gabrielle.

(Hey, somebody had to say it.)
Old October 7 2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Paul & Jamie Buchman. I have a hard time picturing them NOT married in real life. They just belong together so completely.
Old October 7 2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Fraiser & Lilith in Cheers. One of the most viciously hilarious couples I've seen on TV, which isn't half bad for basically a couple of supporting players. Their post-divorce banter on Frasier was also excellent. A corrollary: Sam & Diane, same series. Very, very funny stuff.

Also, Dexter & Rita on Dexter. A dearly damaged relationship that can be darkly funny and even oddly heart-warming at times.
Old October 7 2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Top41

Blair and Chuck on Gossip Girl. There's something really fresh and fun about them, and they've got that special chemistry that makes a couple really fun to watch.

Chandler and Monica on Friends. Not only were they hilarious together, but they also made so much sense. Their romantic moments were so incredibly sweet. Loved them so much as a couple.

Buffy and Angel and Buffy and Spike--I loved the journey in both relationships for Buffy. Even Buffy and Riley--her relationships really followed a coming of age pattern. And the best thing was that the show ended making it clear that the best was yet to come for her.

Kira and Odo on DS9--there was something so sweet and right about their arc and the way they came together. I also really liked Jadzia and Worf and Ezri and Julian. DS9 knew how to do couples.

Tony and Michelle on 24/Karen and Bill on 24--Loved these couples! For a thriller show, 24 does romances pretty well.

There are probably a lot I'm missing... but those are the ones that come to mind right now.
Old October 7 2009, 09:29 PM   #7
TayLaLaLa
Captain

Chandler & Monica on Friends, I knew from the first season that they belonged together, they just work.

I liked Buffy & Spike also, just because it is just wicked cool...I wouldn't call it a true romance though.

Clark & Lex On Smallville, WOW! wait...

S.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Caleuche
Commander

Top41 wrote: View Post
Chandler and Monica on Friends. Not only were they hilarious together, but they also made so much sense. Their romantic moments were so incredibly sweet. Loved them so much as a couple.
Forgot them. The candle proposal was one of Friends better scenes. Apparently the intention of the writers when the series started was for Monica to end up with Joey and Chandler with Rachel. I just can't see either of those.
Top41 wrote: View Post
Buffy and Angel and Buffy and Spike--I loved the journey in both relationships for Buffy. Even Buffy and Riley--her relationships really followed a coming of age pattern. And the best thing was that the show ended making it clear that the best was yet to come for her.
Disagree. Her relationship with Angel would always go wrong because True Love/Sex = Evil. Buffy and Riley didn't work because Riley was a weak character. As for Buffy and Spike - they didn't love each other, they hid from their internal pain by using each other for sex. This got to the point that when Buffy saw sense to call it off, Spike tried to rape her. How can a relationship involving attempted rape be one of televisions greatest romances?
Williow and Tara or Williow and Oz were both greater romances from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Caleuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 10:12 PM   #9
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Another one I love - Joe & Allison Dubois. I just love the reality of their marriage.
Old October 7 2009, 10:19 PM   #10
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Penny & Desmont from Lost... such a great, sad and happy story
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 11:11 PM   #11
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Another one I love - Joe & Allison Dubois of Medium. I just love the reality of their marriage.
Old October 7 2009, 11:18 PM   #12
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I loved Carter and O'Neill on SG-1. Hints of things here and there, you could tell there were strong feelings without it being shouted out all the time.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 11:42 PM   #13
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Bill Adama and Lauren Roslin. You rarely see two older individuals as a romantic couple and those two worked so well together and were so well written compared to the usual TV trash.

I also love the Desmond and Penny relationship from LOST.
Old October 7 2009, 11:54 PM   #14
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Adama/Roslin was one of the better-written ones I've seen over the years.

Unconventional as it is, the relationship between Alan Shore and Denny Crane on Boston Legal really was fascinating (and its conclusion was nothing short of unexpected).
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 12:00 AM   #15
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^Definitely agree on the Alan & Denny relationship. It was both bizarre and surprisingly touching. As ridiculous as they were at times, they were also the most believable couple on TV.

I will third the mention of Desmond & Penny. I would also add Rose and Bernard to that list. With all the insanity, tension and danger of LOST, it makes me smile to think of Rose and Bernard, just sitting there, hand in hand, watching it all.