TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Instinct" Dollhouse S2ep2
EXCELLENT 6 16.67%
ABOVE AVERAGE 9 25.00%
AVERAGE 11 30.56%
BELOW AVERAGE 7 19.44%
POOR 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 2 2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Dollhouse 2x2 "Instinct" tonight 10/2 Grade-Discuss **Spoilers**

When Echo is imprinted as a mother with a newborn baby, she takes too strongly to motherhood as a result of Topher’s modifications. Meanwhile, Adelle pays November a visit, and Perrin ramps up his investigation into the Rossum Corporation in the “Instinct” episode of DOLLHOUSE airing Friday, Oct. 2 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
Cast: Eliza Dushku as Echo; Tahmoh Penikett as Paul Ballard; Olivia Williams as Adelle DeWitt; Harry Lennix as Boyd Langton; Fran Kranz as Topher Brink; Enver Gjokaj as Victor; Dichen Lachman as Sierra
Guest Cast: Miracle Laurie as November/Madeline; Alexis Denisof as Senator Daniel Perrin; Kristoffer Polaha as Nate Jordan; Stacey Scowley as Cindy Perrin

Thought the season opener was largely a good episode. Hoping for another good episode here as we revisit November and move some othe elements along like Ballard as handler. Tell your friends about Dollhouse, let em borrow your S1 DVD cause this show is going to build to something great....if the ratings gods allow it anyway.

Grade -- Discuss -- Commentary
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 01:02 AM   #2
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Dollhouse 2x2 "Instinct" tonight 10/2 Grade-Discuss **Spoilers**

One hour to go or make sure your DVR/Tivo is set. See you back here later, great discussion last week.
Old October 3 2009, 03:01 AM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, I find this show fascinating but I can't imagine that enough people are going to keep watching it to keep it on the air. It's just too twisted.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Interesting for a filler episode. Liked the reversal of having Echo as the 'villain' towards the end, with the generic dressing of a thriller/slasher (although they should have eased up on the lightning flashes). Good to meet the woman behind November, though I couldn't help but feel Miracle Laurie was rather wasted compared to past appearances.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old October 3 2009, 04:03 AM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

"Arc story" or "filler episode" makes no difference at all to me. Either the hour is entertaining or it's not.
Old October 3 2009, 04:14 AM   #6
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Above Average. The first half was slow but picked up nicely in the second half, thanks in large part to the return of November. Echo's latest development is an interesting one too. These episodes still feel like the first six of last year though.

Just got an HDTV so watching that scene with November and Adelle was quite nice.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 04:14 AM   #7
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Dennis wrote: View Post
"Arc story" or "filler episode" makes no difference at all to me. Either the hour is entertaining or it's not.
This is true.
Old October 3 2009, 04:17 AM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Paul has got to be the most conflicted, tormented Whedon character in quite a while. There was certainly no one of his kind on "Firefly."

So, as twisted as this show is...I'm liking the politician's wife as an Active from one of the other Houses. Whaddaya wanna bet?

I mean, she has to be. She's exactly who he needs.
Old October 3 2009, 04:18 AM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Good to meet the woman behind November, though I couldn't help but feel Miracle Laurie was rather wasted compared to past appearances.
It was nice to see her, and it was nice to see what her life after getting out was like, but it felt strange to see her as something of a peer to Adele. That didn't quite add up for me.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 04:37 AM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's a perspective we haven't seen before, that's for sure. These people are slaves for five years, but when they're restored to themselves they're suddenly independent adults - pretty wealthy adults.

That part of the story was also obviously intended to raise further questions, though. November is pretty detached and functioning in a carefully narrow emotional range.
Old October 3 2009, 05:37 AM   #11
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

True enough, I suppose; it's just that these shows tend to be so short-lived that they end with much of the mythos incomplete, and I'm more curious about the grand schemes underway in the background of the Dollhouse than the incidental uses and misuses of the technology.

It's a perspective we haven't seen before, that's for sure. These people are slaves for five years, but when they're restored to themselves they're suddenly independent adults - pretty wealthy adults.
Well, not quite to themselves: November had her grief cut out from her; she remembers losing her child, but doesn't feel it. And if these people are wealthy, one wonders why she didn't just pay the Dollhouse to excise that part of her in the first place instead of going through the ringamarolle of being a doll for five years (from the number of actives walking around in the background, it doesn't seem like there's a dearth of candidates). Although, come to think of it, isn't one of the contract's provisos that dolls are well renumerated at the end of their contracts? So perhaps November wasn't wealthy before, and had only herself to bargain with; whereas now she's been paid for her (abortive) service.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old October 3 2009, 05:45 AM   #12
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Good to meet the woman behind November, though I couldn't help but feel Miracle Laurie was rather wasted compared to past appearances.
It was nice to see her, and it was nice to see what her life after getting out was like, but it felt strange to see her as something of a peer to Adele. That didn't quite add up for me.
Actually, it makes perfect sense. Even with her no longer being an active, Adele has to keep her close for both security reasons and to watch for side effects.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 06:13 AM   #13
Snaploud
Admiral

I'm interested in Topher's comments about not messing with original personalities and what that might mean for November. Is her personality going to degrade unless constantly given "touch up" visits?
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 06:21 AM   #14
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I went: Above Average

I'm seeing why Eliza made the comment she did about this show more all the time. There was a generic question in some Q&A with some mag about "What attracted you to this project" or something similar. Eliza[paraphrase] said "If the show goes the way Joss and I talked it will allow me act in a different persona nearly every week vs being locked into one character over the same span of time."

This week: Hand that Rocks the Cradle edition.
I agree with another post that Echo as the baddie was a nice twist but fit the style of my description as I watched.

Have Madeline/Millie/November as the character we see post-Doll contract is something I like. We explore Caroline/Echo in flashbacks pre-Doll and as a Doll then use Madeline as one example of post-Doll life. Nice, its part of the things that were on my list of things to see, even if I didn't know it till now.

When is Topher's genius going to catch up to him? His overly programming of the maternal drive led to this Echo malfunction. Topher may be the most accidental dangerous person in the house.

So, as twisted as this show is...I'm liking the politician's wife as an Active from one of the other Houses. Whaddaya wanna bet?

I mean, she has to be. She's exactly who he needs.
My friend made that call, just not one from Another house. My friend said we were introduced to Millie in episode 2 last year and I called that. She is countin on Joss being repetative to which I said, NO. Guess we'll see...maybe, ratings gods be as they will.
Old October 3 2009, 09:14 AM   #15
Yoda
Rear Admiral

This was a snoozer, plain and simple.

The A-Plot with the I WANT MY BABY was stupid. The B-Plot with Flabby McMelonTits was boring. Any momentum from last week has been squandered.

And Helo just sucks. He sucked on Galactica, and he sucks even more on this show. Supposedly he stuck around on Galactica after initially being written out in the BSG miniseries thanks to fan support. How did THAT happen? He's just a big stupid lump who can't act, it's kind of a shame he can get regular acting gigs. Someone out there with actual acting potential is losing out because of this dead weight.