Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 7 2009, 05:39 AM   #76
Rii
Rear Admiral

Re: Furries

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
Rii wrote: View Post
It's not a social movement.
Depends on who you ask.
My question, one that applies to a whole lot more than furries, is why folks are so obsessed with labelling themselves and others. If you were to ask me if I'm a trekkie I probably wouldn't answer you directly, instead I'd answer that I enjoy watching Star Trek.

The difference between the two is that I have no idea what you have in mind when you say "trekkie", beyond that it probably has something to do with Star Trek. By answering indirectly I'm able to better delineate my exact relationship with the franchise. Also, in identifying myself as a trekkie I'm implicitly identifying with others who identify as trekkies, when in fact I've no desire to do any such thing. I'm me and they're them, and I've no claim on them nor they on me.

Same thing with "furry". If the label is tainted in the public image by extremists, don't use it. If you don't want to be identified alongside such folks, don't use the same label they do. Or don't use any label. Forget about being part of some grand community of anthropomorphic animal lovers and just be yourself. If some folks draw a straight line from the kinds of images in your avs to having sex with animals, fuck 'em. For folks whose opinions actually matter you'll undoubtedly have the opportunity to explain it to them in more detail than can be conveyed with any label.

Last edited by Rii; October 7 2009 at 05:56 AM.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 05:42 AM   #77
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Jay O'Lantern wrote: View Post
Brent wrote: View Post
So I gave my opinion and what I think
Did you not want me to respond? Did you just want to make your comment in my thread and have me ignore it, particularly since I stated initially that I would be working to "clear the air" as it were? I'm fine if you think I'm a bit odd for liking furry art, but I do feel I have a right to respond if you insist that I'm into bestiality because I like furry art. Don't you think that's fair? I'm certainly not scolding you or berating you for what you believe, just working to clear up misconceptions.

J.
Clear whatever air you like, my opinion isn't changing. Did you expect me to change my mind and come to some revelation that I've been seeing it all wrong all along? Can't say my opinion is wrong. Do whatever you want with Furries. Just don't expect me to accept it.

As the above poster noted, labels are very damaging to begin with.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 05:43 AM   #78
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
It's not a social movement.
Depends on who you ask.
My issue, one that applies to a wide range of fields outside furries, is why folks are so obsessed with labelling themselves and others. If you were to ask me if I'm a trekkie I probably wouldn't answer you directly, instead I'd answer that I enjoy watching Star Trek.

The difference between the two is that I have no idea what you have in mind when you say "trekkie", beyond that it probably has something to do with Star Trek. By answering indirectly I'm able to better delineate my exact relationship with the franchise. Also, in identifying myself as a trekkie I'm implicitly identifying with others who identify as trekkies, when in fact I've no desire to do any such thing.

Same thing with "furry". If the label is tainted in the public image by extremists, don't use it. If you don't want to be identified alongside such folks, don't use the same label they do. Or don't use any label. Forget about being part of some grand community of anthropomorphic animal lovers and just be yourself. If some folks draw a straight line from the kinds of images in your avs to having sex with animals, fuck 'em. For folks whose opinions actually you'll undoubtedly have the opportunity to explain it to them in more detail than can be conveyed with any label.
That's true. I think it boils down to just having a label. It's much easier to say "I like anthro art" or "I'm a furry" when asked than it is to say "I enjoy images of sentient anthropomorphic creatures that resemble animals yet have human qualities while also maintaing a human intellect and self awareness" each time.

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 05:48 AM   #79
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Brent wrote: View Post
Clear whatever air you like, my opinion isn't changing. Did you expect me to change my mind and come to some revelation that I've been seeing it all wrong all along? Can't say my opinion is wrong. Do whatever you want with Furries. Just don't expect me to accept it.

As the above poster noted, labels are very damaging to begin with.
No, I didn't think that, but I did think that you'd at least like to hear what I would have to say, since you did enter my thread and respond to my initial post. This is conversation. We converse back and forth. That's the whole idea.

J.
Old October 7 2009, 05:52 AM   #80
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

...I don't get it.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 05:59 AM   #81
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I first heard of the term "furries" watching a CSI episode. I actually like furries fan art, but like hentai pics, I don't necessarily collect or download furry pics.
Old October 7 2009, 06:01 AM   #82
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Dementor2009 wrote: View Post
I first heard of the term "furries" watching a CSI episode. I actually like furries fan art, but like hentai pics, I don't necessarily collect or download furry pics.
AH HA! I knew SOMEONE had actually seen that episode!

J.
Old October 7 2009, 06:02 AM   #83
Doggeh
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Doggeh

For starters, I am a furry. I suppose my username might be proof of that. I'm a (semi) active member of the Furaffinity art site, I attend conventions, and I draw furry art. I'd also really like to have my own fursuit some day, they look like fun.

I've been drawing furry art since before I knew it had such an established fan base.

Its true though that much of this fandom has a more sexual aspect to it. Its not really my cup of tea and I try to avoid it all together.
Doggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 06:04 AM   #84
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I've seen that episode too. Why does it matter?
Old October 7 2009, 06:04 AM   #85
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

WereDoggeh wrote: View Post
For starters, I am a furry. I suppose my username might be proof of that. I'm a (semi) active member of the Furaffinity art site, I attend conventions, and I draw furry art. I'd also really like to have my own fursuit some day, they look like fun.

I've been drawing furry art since before I knew it had such an established fan base.

Its true though that much of this fandom has a more sexual aspect to it. Its not really my cup of tea and I try to avoid it all together.
Ah ha! Sanity!

IN YOUR FACE, ANTI-FURRIES.

Gep, reasonable
Old October 7 2009, 06:11 AM   #86
J. Allen
Best Pony™

I'm a member of FAF, too. If you don't mind, sometime you could share your art if you wished. I'd be more than happy to see it. Again, only if you wish.

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
It's an episode about a murder at a furry convention, and it portrays the furry community as a whole to be nothing more than people having wild and drunken orgies in fursuits. It's not pretty, and it's not true for the vast majority of furries.

J.
Old October 7 2009, 06:19 AM   #87
Doggeh
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Doggeh

I can post a few things I suppose. I dont think I'm really the most talented artist around, but thats just my opinion!

And I'll just link this one cause its pretty large. Yes, I'm a Neopets addict.
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs41/f/20...sterDoggeh.png

I'm a bit more into drawing quads than anthros.
Doggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 06:26 AM   #88
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Jay O'Lantern wrote:

It's an episode about a murder at a furry convention, and it portrays the furry community as a whole to be nothing more than people having wild and drunken orgies in fursuits. It's not pretty, and it's not true for the vast majority of furries.

J.
Surely you don't assume the people in this thread would base an opinion entirely off of that?
Old October 7 2009, 06:33 AM   #89
J. Allen
Best Pony™

I can post a few things I suppose. I dont think I'm really the most talented artist around, but thats just my opinion!

And I'll just link this one cause its pretty large. Yes, I'm a Neopets addict.
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs41/f/20...sterDoggeh.png

I'm a bit more into drawing quads than anthros.
That is nice work! I really like that.

Surely you don't assume the people in this thread would base an opinion entirely off of that?
Most people? No. I just wanted to clear it out of the way, first.

J.
Old October 7 2009, 06:51 AM   #90
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
^Honestly, I think it looks silly. Don't get me wrong, let's say you and I were real world pals, I wouldn't stop talking to you the second I found out you were a furry. I'd probably give you some crap about it randomly, though.

If I somehow caught you *fapping* to it... I would probably get over it and still hang out with you... but I would make fun of you about it on occasion whenever I felt the need to bust out the 'nuclear option'... I wouldn't spread the word around or anything on account of the massive embarrassment though.

But, if you dressed up furry style, and dated a furry girl in a furry suit, or talked about having furry suit sex, then I'd have to say "Have a nice life, weirdo"
Come on. Let's say you were a rabid XBox 360 fan, and I hated XBox 360 and loved PS3. Couldn't we just get along? This thread just goes to show how much intolerance there is in this world, and we ain't even talking about sexual orientation, religion, or any of that good stuff.