Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 7 2009, 04:10 AM   #46
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

Re: Furries

for you guys who are squicked out by furries, how do you feel about:

mythological hybrids(mermaids centaurs)?

characters like Beast, Nightcrawler, Tigra?

or some poor person who got caught in a transporter accident with a cat and ended up looking like this or this?

just curious...
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 04:14 AM   #47
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

DonIago wrote: View Post
Looking beyond the bad publicity, I think our greatest problem is the horrifying mediocrity of most furry fiction and artwork.
Sturgeon's Law, people. Sturgeon's Law.

I think the greatest cause of damage to the fandom's image is the rank immaturity of its members. Take a look:

(From FurrySociology.net)

According to this, Jay and I are already over the hump and in the minority on age. I think it shows in how the fandom's members conduct themselves online, as demonstrated by The Dead Nations' experience with us. Most of the content of furry message boards and journals and chats, is, frankly, childish and petty. It also goes along with a certain lack of decorum--I'm willing to bet that there's folks on this board who go in for slashfic, but we don't see them talking openly about it (aside from Temis, of course ), or whining about not being accepted for their interests. It's damaging to the furry fandom to have its members behave that way, and does nothing to promote the tolerance that we all say we want.

If people click the ChewFox link I provided earlier in the thread, it's good document of very recent drama that saw a lot of people behaving very shamefully. Frankly, I'm more sympathetic to the woman who got on national TV and talked about fucking in her fursuit ("Strategically Placed Holes" ) than to the people who howled in rage and hurled insults, trolled, and flamed over the "damage" this did to our image. Yeah, guys, you're really helping.
Old October 7 2009, 04:15 AM   #48
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I find this whole furry thing a bit unsettling, but I'm sure they'd say the same thing about me. So I prefer to keep my trap shut.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 04:18 AM   #49
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
Looking beyond the bad publicity, I think our greatest problem is the horrifying mediocrity of most furry fiction and artwork.
Sturgeon's Law, people. Sturgeon's Law.

I think the greatest cause of damage to the fandom's image is the rank immaturity of its members. Take a look:

(From FurrySociology.net)

According to this, Jay and I are already over the hump and in the minority on age. I think it shows in how the fandom's members conduct themselves online, as demonstrated by The Dead Nations' experience with us. Most of the content of furry message boards and journals and chats, is, frankly, childish and petty. It also goes along with a certain lack of decorum--I'm willing to bet that there's folks on this board who go in for slashfic, but we don't see them talking openly about it (aside from Temis, of course ), or whining about not being accepted for their interests. It's damaging to the furry fandom to have its members behave that way, and does nothing to promote the tolerance that we all say we want.

If people click the ChewFox link I provided earlier in the thread, it's good document of very recent drama that saw a lot of people behaving very shamefully. Frankly, I'm more sympathetic to the woman who got on national TV and talked about fucking in her fursuit ("Strategically Placed Holes" ) than to the people who howled in rage and hurled insults, trolled, and flamed over the "damage" this did to our image. Yeah, guys, you're really helping.
Yeah, I'm in the 3% and 26% category, respectively.
Honestly, when I started looking at the fandom as a whole, I didn't realize that there were so many younger furries. I have always been attracted to the artwork, and I have always had a very active imagination (I see stardust where others see sand, that kind of thing).

J.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 04:20 AM   #50
Yoda
Rear Admiral

melancholymecha wrote: View Post

Well... they have a mythology. That in itself makes them different. I would have no interest at looking at drawings of them all day, and would think anyone who did was weird. Studying such things in the context of understanding a culture is fine. *Fapping* to it is bad.
characters like Beast, Nightcrawler, Tigra?
In general I have a negative view of comics and comic fandom, but I can handle such characters in the context of a good story.
or some poor person who got caught in a transporter accident with a cat and ended up looking like this or this?
Lumped right in with the furries.
Old October 7 2009, 04:21 AM   #51
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I find this whole furry thing a bit unsettling, but I'm sure they'd say the same thing about me. So I prefer to keep my trap shut.
Hey, it's alright. I wouldn't expect someone to just accept it without having questions or apprehension.

Something I was just thinking about:
When people say they have a spiritual connection with animals, that they feel like they're spiritually associated with a fox or a dog or a bear or something like that, most people would laugh at them like they're crazy. However, if I were to say "I believe Jesus helped me win the lottery", there'd be tons of "amen"s and "hallelujah!"s. It's what we're conditioned to accept, what we believe to be true. It is fascinating how our culture develops.

Yoda wrote: View Post
melancholymecha wrote: View Post

Well... they have a mythology. That in itself makes them different. I would have no interest at looking at drawings of them all day, and would think anyone who did was weird. Studying such things in the context of understanding a culture is fine. *Fapping* to it is bad.
Animism is one of the oldest known religions. In animism, many things have souls, including animals themselves.
They were worshipped as gods, or as natural extensions of the nurturing earth. They're certainly older than most mythologies.

J.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
Brony Kingdom
Old October 7 2009, 04:25 AM   #52
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Yoda wrote: View Post
So what about folks who go to art museums to look at all the old paintings and carvings? I do that, for pretty much the same reasons I look at furry art. Sometimes it's not just about "Studying" it but about aesthetic appreciation.

Jay O'Lantern wrote: View Post
Something I was just thinking about:
When people say they have a spiritual connection with animals, that they feel like they're spiritually associated with a fox or a dog or a bear or something like that, most people would laugh at them like they're crazy. However, if I were to say "I believe Jesus helped me win the lottery", there'd be tons of "amen"s and "hallelujah!"s. It's what we're conditioned to accept, what we believe to be true. It is fascinating how our culture develops.
That gives me an excellent excuse to repost this:

And just to balance it out, furry jedi:

Gep, crazy.
Old October 7 2009, 04:26 AM   #53
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

Hey, it's alright. I wouldn't expect someone to just accept it without having questions or apprehension.
I figure since I'm a virgin, I have no right to have an opinion about sex or any subset thereof. Because it can quickly backfire on me - whatever I might feel about furries, I'm sure they'd be going "eewwwww! This guy's 39 and hasn't had sex yet? What kind of sick fuck is he, pardon the pun?" So I think I would have lost that particular battle.

That being said, if there is ever a live action Thundercats movie, and it looks anything like this, I might look twice at Cheetara...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 7 2009, 04:28 AM   #54
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I don't get it. I especially don't like anything to do with cats or anything in that general area, though I'm not sure why. Maybe because that seems to be popular so I see it the most?

I dunno, I don't care what other people are into but I'm not a fan.

Edit:

Mr. Laser Beam
, that's ridiculous. You have as much of a right to an opinion as anyone else. It may not be as based on experience, but who cares. Everyone has opinions on things, including that which they haven't experienced. And if someone's going "ewwww he's a 39 year old virgin!" then they probably have their own issues.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 04:29 AM   #55
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

I figure since I'm a virgin, I have no right to have an opinion about sex or any subset thereof. Because it can quickly backfire on me - whatever I might feel about furries, I'm sure they'd be going "eewwwww! This guy's 39 and hasn't had sex yet? What kind of sick fuck is he, pardon the pun?" So I think I would have lost that particular battle.
Yeah, you crazy sexless person you!

Gep, like a virgin.
Old October 7 2009, 04:29 AM   #56
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

That being said, if there is ever a live action Thundercats movie, and it looks anything like this, I might look twice at Cheetara.
Ah, that reminds me!
I love Thundercats, just love the show. Silverhawks, too. Oh, and Starcom, but I'm getting off track.

Anyway, I remember my friends watching some of the cartoons with me a few years back. They kept talking about how hot Cheetara was and how they'd love to "do" her. Well, fast forward a few years and we're on the subject of furries (after reading the news a Furry convention was coming to a nearby city), and the response was "That is so sick. Who would find an animal attractive?"

I lolled.

J.

Brony Kingdom
Old October 7 2009, 04:32 AM   #57
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

^It is funny how, once you examine it, "normal" behaviors and attitudes have a lot of furry and proto-furry opinions mixed in.
Old October 7 2009, 04:32 AM   #58
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

That was a really cool trailer, wasn't it? I thought it was pretty funny that Gigi Edgley required no EFX, the trailer guy just lifted a bunch of Farscape scenes - she's pretty much Cheetara as it is.
Old October 7 2009, 04:35 AM   #59
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
^It is funny how, once you examine it, "normal" behaviors and attitudes have a lot of furry and proto-furry opinions mixed in.
Indeed they do, my friend.

That was a really cool trailer, wasn't it? I thought it was pretty funny that Gigi Edgley required no EFX, the trailer guy just lifted a bunch of Farscape scenes - she's pretty much Cheetara as it is.
Oh yeah. Cheetara will be easy to bring out.
And I wonder just how many guys who would normally say "Furries?! Ew!" will think about "doing" Cheetara. I bet more than a few.

J.

Brony Kingdom
Old October 7 2009, 04:41 AM   #60
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

Im a virgin too, & Ive already expressed my thoughts here. I may not know what sex is really like, but I know what pleases my eye!
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote