RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,637
Posts: 5,427,644
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 513
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 7 2009, 09:07 PM   #151
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Furries

Jay O'Lantern wrote: View Post
Well, I do want to know what people think. All I am defending is whether something is untrue or not. Saying "I think furries are a bit odd" is fine. Saying "I think it's close to pedophilia and bestiality" is not. I would think someone would rather have an untruth dispelled than continuing to abide by it.
Oh I mean the entire premise of the thread comes off in a certain way. I mean, you know it's a controversial topic so you know you're going to be defending yourself if you post about it.

I enjoy having interests, regardless of whether they are considered unusual or controversial. I like something because I like it, not because it stirs controversy.
Right, I mean you're not going to conjure an interest in something out of nowhere. But what I'm trying to ask is, do you derive any additional pleasure from having that interest be somewhat unique?

Organically, yes. By that I mean if someone doesn't like something and then later thinks "Oh, that's not what I thought it was. Okay.", that's great. I wouldn't and do not wish to force someone to like something that I do. To each their own in that regard.
I totally don't understand what you're saying here (and I had no idea that "organically" could be used in this context), so I'll just leave this part alone.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:12 PM   #152
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Furries

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
Oh I mean the entire premise of the thread comes off in a certain way. I mean, you know it's a controversial topic so you know you're going to be defending yourself if you post about it.
I know it can be controversial. One of the reasons I started the thread was my curiosity. I figured if some people found it controversial then I could dispel any misconceptions they may have had. I didn't start the thread to create controversy if that's what you mean. Actually, I kind of figured since so many Trek fans were into blue aliens, Klingons and other such things, a furry would be little to no ill regard.

Right, I mean you're not going to conjure an interest in something out of nowhere. But what I'm trying to ask is, do you derive any additional pleasure from having that interest be somewhat unique?
Unique? Yes. Uniqueness can draw controversy, but I do not derive pleasure from controversy, no.

I totally don't understand what you're saying here (and I had no idea that "organically" could be used in this context), so I'll just leave this part alone.
By "organically", I mean growing naturally. In other words, someone reaches the conclusion themselves without being forced to abide by it.

J.
__________________
I tried to make a deal with the Devil, once. Turns out I didn't have anything he wanted.
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
You will never find a more welcome hive of love and humility.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:12 PM   #153
Plecostomus
Commodore
 
Location: Official forum sex god
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus
Re: Furries

So I got thinking... how would furries play strip poker? You strip off the clothes over your fursuit or do you strip off your firsuit... or both?


Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:16 PM   #154
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Furries

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
Oh I mean the entire premise of the thread comes off in a certain way. I mean, you know it's a controversial topic so you know you're going to be defending yourself if you post about it.
Well I can't speak to Jay's back-and-forth with Robert Maxwell/The Dead Nations, I can say that we discussed his idea of starting this thread before he did, and his motive at the time was curiosity and an interest in getting the discussion out of the desktop thread, which it has almost derailed.

Sure, it would be nice if Dead wasn't ragging on us here, but then I go to Google image search with the safeties off and realize we furries brought this on ourselves. What can you do? (Other than join Improved Anthropomorphics.)

To The Dead Nations, however: what do you say about an artist like Lizardbeth, who doesn't draw nudity or sex or adult situations in her art, but is very much active in the fandom, going to conventions, appearing on podcasts, etc? In your eyes, is it fetishisitc just because she draws anthro animal characters that have curves and breasts even though they're all dressed in normal human clothes?
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:22 PM   #155
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Furries

40,000 Year Stench wrote: View Post
*makes popcorn*
Ugh, you beat me to it. Pass the popcorn please. My money is on J.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:28 PM   #156
Plecostomus
Commodore
 
Location: Official forum sex god
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus
Re: Furries

Dementor2009 wrote: View Post
40,000 Year Stench wrote: View Post
*makes popcorn*
Ugh, you beat me to it. Pass the popcorn please. My money is on J.
100 on J then. Anyone else?
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:29 PM   #157
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Furries

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
Oh I mean the entire premise of the thread comes off in a certain way. I mean, you know it's a controversial topic so you know you're going to be defending yourself if you post about it.
Well I can't speak to Jay's back-and-forth with Robert Maxwell/The Dead Nations, I can say that we discussed his idea of starting this thread before he did, and his motive at the time was curiosity and an interest in getting the discussion out of the desktop thread, which it has almost derailed.

Sure, it would be nice if Dead wasn't ragging on us here, but then I go to Google image search with the safeties off and realize we furries brought this on ourselves. What can you do? (Other than join Improved Anthropomorphics.)

To The Dead Nations, however: what do you say about an artist like Lizardbeth, who doesn't draw nudity or sex or adult situations in her art, but is very much active in the fandom, going to conventions, appearing on podcasts, etc? In your eyes, is it fetishisitc just because she draws anthro animal characters that have curves and breasts even though they're all dressed in normal human clothes?
The discussion was a bit heated in the other thread, so obviously you knew that that would continue here.

I dunno about fetishistic or whatever. Hold on, lemme go look up the definition because I'm sure someone will quote it back to me in a minute.

Okay, I think it probably still fits this part: An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment; a fixation.

But then I feel like I'd have to go back and study more abnormal psych and we're getting into clinical stuff and I don't really have the interest for that here. I'll get back to you after I have my psychology degree.

As far as "adult situations," I think that artist you linked does portray them. There was at least one sexually suggestive pose and a few with drinks and such. And, er ... not all the clothes are really what I would consider normal. As in, I would be surprised to see someone on the street in such an outfit.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:35 PM   #158
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Furries

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
Okay, I think it probably still fits this part: An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment; a fixation.
Depends on the furry. Some (many) of them are. We are, however, on a Star Trek board where people will get into flame wars over how long the new Enterprise is, so I hope you're not intending this as a criticism. People in glass houses and all...

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
As far as "adult situations," I think that artist you linked does portray them. There was at least one sexually suggestive pose and a few with drinks and such. And, er ... not all the clothes are really what I would consider normal. As in, I would be surprised to see someone on the street in such an outfit.
Damn. We're including alcohol in the definition of "sexual fetish" now? In that case, "adult situations" was a poor choice of words; I was specifically referencing the kind of sexual/kinky/nakedy thing that Dead's been going on about. I don't think anyhting in Lizardbeth's art is, for example, more suggestive or risque than anything a kid could see on TV, which is the gist of my point.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:38 PM   #159
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Furries

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
The discussion was a bit heated in the other thread, so obviously you knew that that would continue here.
Jay was concerned about that exact thing. I was actually the one who talked him down from that, since I didn't feel the desktop thread was too bad, and prior discussion of furryness in Misc had generally been pleasant and good-natured. Clearly, I didn't count on the effect of explicitly drawing attention to the subject.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:39 PM   #160
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Furries

Jay O'Lantern wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
It's why terms like "vanilla" have arisen. Vanilla is the most boring, bland, flavorless kind of ice cream there is, so that's the kind of label - insult, really - that they put on us.
1) I'm normal, and so are you.
2) I love vanilla ice cream, because it has a lot of flavor.
If you put lots of toppings on...

bloody hell, ice cream has a lot of sex metaphors doesn't it?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:39 PM   #161
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Furries

Posted by Ghoul Malakai:

*skips over eleventy billion posts by Robert Maxwell and J.*

I will say this: what the fuck is it with people comparing furry to being gay? It's not a sexual orientation, guys. At most it's a fetish, and it's sure not hard-wired.
Duh, people are aware of that. I'm aware of that. My point is, some people treat furry fandom as a form of abnormality. It just parallels how others feel the same way about homosexuality.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:42 PM   #162
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Furries

I find this image appropriate for this topic

__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:43 PM   #163
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Furries

The idea that being into furry porn/arousment is similar to homosexuality is absolute nonsense and I really, really hope I don't have to explain why that is, do I?
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:43 PM   #164
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Furries

^^Okay, now that's freaky. Clearly there's a line where you can get too photoreal.

hideous618 wrote: View Post
The idea that being into furry porn/arousment is similar to homosexuality is absolute nonsense and I really, really hope I don't have to explain why that is, do I?
No, I don't think you do.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:45 PM   #165
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Furries

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
Damn. We're including alcohol in the definition of "sexual fetish" now? In that case, "adult situations" was a poor choice of words; I was specifically referencing the kind of sexual/kinky/nakedy thing that Dead's been going on about. I don't think anyhting in Lizardbeth's art is, for example, more suggestive or risque than anything a kid could see on TV, which is the gist of my point.
Er, no, I was just talking about "adult situations" there. Also I don't see your point ... a kid can see some pretty suggestive and risque things on tv. It's difficult to avoid them!

I'm utterly lost now. I think it's possible for people to be interested in this type of art even if it's not overly sexualized. I don't think anyone is debating that. It does seem to be the minority, though. And personally I don't like it even when it's not completely sexualized.

When it comes down to it, I guess I just feel like echoing Robert Maxwell here: Don't want.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
animation, art, furcon, furry, furry strip poker league, fursona, hairballs, robau brand products, sexual perversion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.