RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,101
Posts: 5,432,529
Members: 24,931
Currently online: 508
Newest member: emogs

TrekToday headlines

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 7 2009, 07:45 PM   #136
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Furries

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
People that don't fursuit do not find fursuiting normal. There's no one.
I do not fursuit and do not find fursuiting abnormal. Do you find dressing up for Halloween or a party to be abnormal? Most fursuiters only dress up when getting together for a party or convention.

The Dead Nations wrote: View Post
You tried to claim that the sexual component of Star Trek and Star Wars is of the same degree as the sexual component in furry fandom. I think you just admitted that furry fandom is inherently more sexual. Thanks!
I did not make that claim, no. I stated that sex sells and that you can find it in just about everything.

I don't have a problem with your taste, I have a problem with how you choose to express it here.
I simply post avatars, wallpapers and pictures that I like. That puts me in with most of the board.

We both do. I'm just honest about it.
I have no axe to grind.

Then I guess you won't argue with the assertion that furry boards are predominantly focused on sexuality.
Your assertions are yours to make. I simply said the fandom does not, as a whole, consist solely of a sexual nature. Anything after that has been speculation and assertion on your part.

I didn't claim you were into pedophilia. However, I did say that I think furries are a step or two away from bestiality, and I stand by that. You are sexualizing animals. No matter how you want to dress it up, that's what it is.
You equated enjoying anthro art as being akin to pedophilia and bestiality "as far as you were concerned".

Once again: if you say so.
Indeed I do.

Just pointing out that you clearly do have an ulterior motive in promoting furry fandom. How come the people who are into only the non-sexual stuff don't make a big deal about it?
I have no ulterior motive aside from curiosity. I have no agenda.

If that helps you intellectualize the fact that you're fapping to drawings of animals, whatever works, I guess.
It is a soft answer to a harsh question.

At best, it's a pretty strange sexual fetish. At worst, it's betiality. Somewhere in the middle, you have people who are taking their role-playing to what I would consider an unhealthy extreme.
That is your opinion and your assertions.

Yes, fine, I will concede it's not 100% sexual. Maybe 90-98%. Happy?
You can assume whatever you wish to assume. You are free to do so. All I am doing is asking questions because I am curious about other's thoughts, and answering questions in an effort to clear the air of any misconception.


J.
__________________

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:46 PM   #137
TwoTailedFox
Ensign
 
Send a message via AIM to TwoTailedFox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TwoTailedFox Send a message via Yahoo to TwoTailedFox
Re: Furries

DonIago wrote: View Post
I think this conversation is becoming somewhat of a ping-pong match.
<removed on advice>

Stench, can I has some of your popcorn?
TwoTailedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:49 PM   #138
Plecostomus
Commodore
 
Location: Official forum sex god
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus
Re: Furries

Edit your post to remove "cock slapping" first. Don't want to risk an infraction for flame-baiting.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:50 PM   #139
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Furries

DonIago wrote: View Post
I think this conversation is becoming somewhat of a ping-pong match.
I'd rather it not, though. People are free to ask questions, and I think I have answered to the best of my ability, the ones that have been presented.

TwoTailedFox wrote: View Post
I was thinking a ****-slapping match, but your analogy fits, too.
No. This is not adversarial. This is completely open, people can ask whatever questions they want.

J.
__________________

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:50 PM   #140
TwoTailedFox
Ensign
 
Send a message via AIM to TwoTailedFox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TwoTailedFox Send a message via Yahoo to TwoTailedFox
Re: Furries

40,000 Year Stench wrote: View Post
Edit your post to remove "cock slapping" first. Don't want to risk an infraction for flame-baiting.
I suppose not, I forget the rules are (fairly) tight here.
TwoTailedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:54 PM   #141
Plecostomus
Commodore
 
Location: Official forum sex god
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus
Re: Furries

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Why is there a tag called "Robau brand products"?
Robau is marketing his own brand of Furry-based products... made mostly from the pulp of people who beat the issue to death in threads like this.

And it goes without saying, said product is pure AWESOME.


...and lest you incur his BADASS WRATH Robau wishes to remind you to keep the discussion civil at all times for Robau approves of both Furry and Non-Furry people.

Praise be to the Glorious Robau.

Amen.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 08:02 PM   #142
KiraDax
Captain
 
KiraDax's Avatar
 
Re: Furries

J,

I think you've missed the point. You say you want to open the floor up and provide insight into the furry subculture for anyone here who might have questions. Fact is, most people don't automatically harbor dislike or distrust of furries without researching what they're about. The information is out there for everyone to absorb, and most people have researched it before they started flinging opinions.

People are generally leery of the subculture because of what it is about, not due to ignorance.

Now, I'm certain a furry wouldn't see anything wrong with the lifestyle, and yes, I'm sure it is perfectly devoid of any bad intent for many. Still, that doesn't change the fact that other people just aren't comfortable with it. Going around and attempting to assert your personal, positive view of it isn't going to change that.

This is a Jehovah's Witness situation. Sometimes it's best to shut up and enjoy your way without expecting everyone to love it too.
__________________
I can't pretend to know what your life's been like, but I do know there's nothing sadder than a missed opportunity. [Kes]
KiraDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 08:05 PM   #143
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Furries

KiraDax wrote: View Post
J,

I think you've missed the point. You say you want to open the floor up and provide insight into the furry subculture for anyone here who might have questions. Fact is, most people don't automatically harbor dislike or distrust of furries without researching what they're about. The information is out there for everyone to absorb, and most people have researched it before they started flinging opinions.

People are generally leery of the subculture because of what it is about, not due to ignorance.

Now, I'm certain a furry wouldn't see anything wrong with the lifestyle, and yes, I'm sure it is perfectly devoid of any bad intent for many. Still, that doesn't change the fact that other people just aren't comfortable with it. Going around and attempting to assert your personal, positive view of it isn't going to change that.

This is a Jehovah's Witness situation. Sometimes it's best to shut up and enjoy your way without expecting everyone to love it too.
I understand what you're saying. I don't expect everyone to love it, I was just curious what people thought about it. I tend to ask a lot of questions, this would be no different for me. For the most part, this thread has been very civil, and I harbor no ill will or bad feelings toward anyone in here, that includes RM, whom I consider a friend. I did, however, want to clear up misconceptions. I'm always in search of the truth, even if I don't like the outcome.

That being said, threads doing well and people are free to ask questions.

J.
__________________

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 08:10 PM   #144
Plecostomus
Commodore
 
Location: Official forum sex god
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus
Re: Furries

I'm surprised it's got this far without a total meltdown and moderator intervention.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 08:38 PM   #145
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Furries

40,000 Year Stench wrote: View Post
I'm surprised it's got this far without a total meltdown and moderator intervention.
I think most people in Miscellaneous are mature and responsible enough not to resort to flaming or trolling. There would be no reason for anyone to troll or flame here. It's an honest discussion, and I hope it stays that way.

J.
__________________

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 08:58 PM   #146
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Furries

Jay O'Lantern wrote: View Post
I understand what you're saying. I don't expect everyone to love it, I was just curious what people thought about it.
I dunno, it does seem a bit attentionish. It doesn't seem like you're simply content to know what people think about it. I go back and forth between feeling like you want something to defend, and feeling like you really want this to be accepted.

So okay, two questions for you then.

Do you enjoy having interests that are considered unusual or even controversial?

Do you feel a desire to have your interests accepted by others?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:02 PM   #147
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Furries

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
I dunno, it does seem a bit attentionish. It doesn't seem like you're simply content to know what people think about it. I go back and forth between feeling like you want something to defend, and feeling like you really want this to be accepted.
Well, I do want to know what people think. All I am defending is whether something is untrue or not. Saying "I think furries are a bit odd" is fine. Saying "I think it's close to pedophilia and bestiality" is not. I would think someone would rather have an untruth dispelled than continuing to abide by it.

So okay, two questions for you then.

Do you enjoy having interests that are considered unusual or even controversial?
I enjoy having interests, regardless of whether they are considered unusual or controversial. I like something because I like it, not because it stirs controversy.

Do you feel a desire to have your interests accepted by others?
Organically, yes. By that I mean if someone doesn't like something and then later thinks "Oh, that's not what I thought it was. Okay.", that's great. I wouldn't and do not wish to force someone to like something that I do. To each their own in that regard.

J.
__________________

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:02 PM   #148
Plecostomus
Commodore
 
Location: Official forum sex god
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus
OMG JUST KIDDING

Jay O'Lantern wrote: View Post
40,000 Year Stench wrote: View Post
I'm surprised it's got this far without a total meltdown and moderator intervention.
I think most people in Miscellaneous are mature and responsible enough not to resort to flaming or trolling. There would be no reason for anyone to troll or flame here. It's an honest discussion, and I hope it stays that way.

J.

That's what YOU think peckerhead...


Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:04 PM   #149
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: OMG JUST KIDDING

40,000 Year Stench wrote: View Post
Jay O'Lantern wrote: View Post
40,000 Year Stench wrote: View Post
I'm surprised it's got this far without a total meltdown and moderator intervention.
I think most people in Miscellaneous are mature and responsible enough not to resort to flaming or trolling. There would be no reason for anyone to troll or flame here. It's an honest discussion, and I hope it stays that way.

J.

That's what YOU think peckerhead...


Fursecution!



J.
__________________

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:06 PM   #150
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Furries

*skips over eleventy billion posts by Robert Maxwell and J.*

I will say this: what the fuck is it with people comparing furry to being gay? It's not a sexual orientation, guys. At most it's a fetish, and it's sure not hard-wired.

Brent wrote: View Post
Everytime I see the word "Furries" I think of the Mythological "Furies"
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
animation, art, furcon, furry, furry strip poker league, fursona, hairballs, robau brand products, sexual perversion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.