Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 7 2009, 07:45 PM   #136
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Furries

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
People that don't fursuit do not find fursuiting normal. There's no one.
I do not fursuit and do not find fursuiting abnormal. Do you find dressing up for Halloween or a party to be abnormal? Most fursuiters only dress up when getting together for a party or convention.

The Dead Nations wrote: View Post
You tried to claim that the sexual component of Star Trek and Star Wars is of the same degree as the sexual component in furry fandom. I think you just admitted that furry fandom is inherently more sexual. Thanks!
I did not make that claim, no. I stated that sex sells and that you can find it in just about everything.

I don't have a problem with your taste, I have a problem with how you choose to express it here.
I simply post avatars, wallpapers and pictures that I like. That puts me in with most of the board.

We both do. I'm just honest about it.
I have no axe to grind.

Then I guess you won't argue with the assertion that furry boards are predominantly focused on sexuality.
Your assertions are yours to make. I simply said the fandom does not, as a whole, consist solely of a sexual nature. Anything after that has been speculation and assertion on your part.

I didn't claim you were into pedophilia. However, I did say that I think furries are a step or two away from bestiality, and I stand by that. You are sexualizing animals. No matter how you want to dress it up, that's what it is.
You equated enjoying anthro art as being akin to pedophilia and bestiality "as far as you were concerned".

Once again: if you say so.
Indeed I do.

Just pointing out that you clearly do have an ulterior motive in promoting furry fandom. How come the people who are into only the non-sexual stuff don't make a big deal about it?
I have no ulterior motive aside from curiosity. I have no agenda.

If that helps you intellectualize the fact that you're fapping to drawings of animals, whatever works, I guess.
It is a soft answer to a harsh question.

At best, it's a pretty strange sexual fetish. At worst, it's betiality. Somewhere in the middle, you have people who are taking their role-playing to what I would consider an unhealthy extreme.
That is your opinion and your assertions.

Yes, fine, I will concede it's not 100% sexual. Maybe 90-98%. Happy?
You can assume whatever you wish to assume. You are free to do so. All I am doing is asking questions because I am curious about other's thoughts, and answering questions in an effort to clear the air of any misconception.

J.

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:46 PM   #137
TwoTailedFox
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to TwoTailedFox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TwoTailedFox Send a message via Yahoo to TwoTailedFox

DonIago wrote: View Post
I think this conversation is becoming somewhat of a ping-pong match.
<removed on advice>

Stench, can I has some of your popcorn?
TwoTailedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:49 PM   #138
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

Edit your post to remove "cock slapping" first. Don't want to risk an infraction for flame-baiting.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:50 PM   #139
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

DonIago wrote: View Post
I think this conversation is becoming somewhat of a ping-pong match.
I'd rather it not, though. People are free to ask questions, and I think I have answered to the best of my ability, the ones that have been presented.

TwoTailedFox wrote: View Post
I was thinking a ****-slapping match, but your analogy fits, too.
No. This is not adversarial. This is completely open, people can ask whatever questions they want.

J.

"...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is a bunch of social ‘yak yaks.'" - Temple Grandin
Brony Kingdom
Old October 7 2009, 07:50 PM   #140
TwoTailedFox
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to TwoTailedFox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TwoTailedFox Send a message via Yahoo to TwoTailedFox

40,000 Year Stench wrote: View Post
Edit your post to remove "cock slapping" first. Don't want to risk an infraction for flame-baiting.
I suppose not, I forget the rules are (fairly) tight here.
TwoTailedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:54 PM   #141
Plecostomus
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Why is there a tag called "Robau brand products"?
Robau is marketing his own brand of Furry-based products... made mostly from the pulp of people who beat the issue to death in threads like this.

And it goes without saying, said product is pure AWESOME.

...and lest you incur his BADASS WRATH Robau wishes to remind you to keep the discussion civil at all times for Robau approves of both Furry and Non-Furry people.

Praise be to the Glorious Robau.

Amen.
Old October 7 2009, 08:02 PM   #142
KiraDax
Captain

J,

I think you've missed the point. You say you want to open the floor up and provide insight into the furry subculture for anyone here who might have questions. Fact is, most people don't automatically harbor dislike or distrust of furries without researching what they're about. The information is out there for everyone to absorb, and most people have researched it before they started flinging opinions.

People are generally leery of the subculture because of what it is about, not due to ignorance.

Now, I'm certain a furry wouldn't see anything wrong with the lifestyle, and yes, I'm sure it is perfectly devoid of any bad intent for many. Still, that doesn't change the fact that other people just aren't comfortable with it. Going around and attempting to assert your personal, positive view of it isn't going to change that.

This is a Jehovah's Witness situation. Sometimes it's best to shut up and enjoy your way without expecting everyone to love it too.
Old October 7 2009, 08:05 PM   #143
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

KiraDax wrote: View Post
J,

I think you've missed the point. You say you want to open the floor up and provide insight into the furry subculture for anyone here who might have questions. Fact is, most people don't automatically harbor dislike or distrust of furries without researching what they're about. The information is out there for everyone to absorb, and most people have researched it before they started flinging opinions.

People are generally leery of the subculture because of what it is about, not due to ignorance.

Now, I'm certain a furry wouldn't see anything wrong with the lifestyle, and yes, I'm sure it is perfectly devoid of any bad intent for many. Still, that doesn't change the fact that other people just aren't comfortable with it. Going around and attempting to assert your personal, positive view of it isn't going to change that.

This is a Jehovah's Witness situation. Sometimes it's best to shut up and enjoy your way without expecting everyone to love it too.
I understand what you're saying. I don't expect everyone to love it, I was just curious what people thought about it. I tend to ask a lot of questions, this would be no different for me. For the most part, this thread has been very civil, and I harbor no ill will or bad feelings toward anyone in here, that includes RM, whom I consider a friend. I did, however, want to clear up misconceptions. I'm always in search of the truth, even if I don't like the outcome.

That being said, threads doing well and people are free to ask questions.

J.

Brony Kingdom
Old October 7 2009, 08:10 PM   #144
Plecostomus
Commodore

I'm surprised it's got this far without a total meltdown and moderator intervention.
Old October 7 2009, 08:38 PM   #145
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

I'm surprised it's got this far without a total meltdown and moderator intervention.
I think most people in Miscellaneous are mature and responsible enough not to resort to flaming or trolling. There would be no reason for anyone to troll or flame here. It's an honest discussion, and I hope it stays that way.

J.

Brony Kingdom
Old October 7 2009, 08:58 PM   #146
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Jay O'Lantern wrote: View Post
I understand what you're saying. I don't expect everyone to love it, I was just curious what people thought about it.
I dunno, it does seem a bit attentionish. It doesn't seem like you're simply content to know what people think about it. I go back and forth between feeling like you want something to defend, and feeling like you really want this to be accepted.

So okay, two questions for you then.

Do you enjoy having interests that are considered unusual or even controversial?

Do you feel a desire to have your interests accepted by others?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:02 PM   #147
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
I dunno, it does seem a bit attentionish. It doesn't seem like you're simply content to know what people think about it. I go back and forth between feeling like you want something to defend, and feeling like you really want this to be accepted.
Well, I do want to know what people think. All I am defending is whether something is untrue or not. Saying "I think furries are a bit odd" is fine. Saying "I think it's close to pedophilia and bestiality" is not. I would think someone would rather have an untruth dispelled than continuing to abide by it.

So okay, two questions for you then.

Do you enjoy having interests that are considered unusual or even controversial?
I enjoy having interests, regardless of whether they are considered unusual or controversial. I like something because I like it, not because it stirs controversy.

Do you feel a desire to have your interests accepted by others?
Organically, yes. By that I mean if someone doesn't like something and then later thinks "Oh, that's not what I thought it was. Okay.", that's great. I wouldn't and do not wish to force someone to like something that I do. To each their own in that regard.

J.

Brony Kingdom
Old October 7 2009, 09:02 PM   #148
Plecostomus
Commodore

OMG JUST KIDDING

I think most people in Miscellaneous are mature and responsible enough not to resort to flaming or trolling. There would be no reason for anyone to troll or flame here. It's an honest discussion, and I hope it stays that way.

J.

That's what YOU think peckerhead...

Old October 7 2009, 09:04 PM   #149
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Re: OMG JUST KIDDING

J.

That's what YOU think peckerhead...

Fursecution!

J.

Brony Kingdom
Old October 7 2009, 09:06 PM   #150
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

*skips over eleventy billion posts by Robert Maxwell and J.*

I will say this: what the fuck is it with people comparing furry to being gay? It's not a sexual orientation, guys. At most it's a fetish, and it's sure not hard-wired.

Brent wrote: View Post
Everytime I see the word "Furries" I think of the Mythological "Furies"