Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old September 29 2009, 05:47 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

first Transporter

My friend and I were debating whether or not there will ever be transporters..and then we got to the discussion as to when teleportation, via a mechanical way, was ever mentioned in scifi...was it in books first? Or TV or movies? I honestly don't know...but does anyone know the first time teleportation tech was first elluded to???

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 07:43 PM   #2
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: first Transporter

Not sure about who was first, but Niven has several short stories that pre-date Trek. I would definitely say that it appeared in written form before all else, as goes with most sci-fi.
Old September 29 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Not sure about who was first, but Niven has several short stories that pre-date Trek. I would definitely say that it appeared in written form before all else, as goes with most sci-fi.
There's always a wiki

1877 for print - The Man Without A Body

1939 for film/TV - Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

concept came into sc-fi vogue in the 40s

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

HEEellllp MeeEEeeeeEEEee!

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
FinalFrontier
Lieutenant

Written, seeing as film hasn't been around all that long.

And I don't think there ever will be transporters. As explained in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to measure simultaneously both position and velocity of a microscopic particle with any degree of accuracy or certainty. A computer would never be able to isolate every atom and subatomic particle and remember where it was and what state, direction, velocity it had in order to take it apart and put it back together somewhere else.
FinalFrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 09:52 AM   #6
skep155
Lieutenant Commander

It will never happen, and even if it did you wouldn't get me stepping into one. Im personally of the opinion that the second all your molecules are taken apart your dead ad the reassembled person is not the original you. They'll think they are you, but they wont be.
skep155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Joshua Howard
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joshua Howard

Running the risk of coming across as sacreligious (which I am not aiming to be) the first popularized instance of teleportation is actually the Biblical account of Jesus (though I admit, whether he used mechanical means or not is debatable.)

He is documented, according to religious text, as having been in one location, after which point he disappeared and rematerialized elsewhere. According to the Bible He also, apparently, was able to modify his molecular structure in a way that permitted him to move through a wall.

In any case, I am not aiming to derail the thread. The thought of this just occurred to me as providing an interesting parallel.

- The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Joshua Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Australis
Writer

I don't think we'll see people tyransported. I think pretty much along the same lines as they did in s1 of ENT (sorry to bring it up) - that any kind of inanimate item can be transported, but noit people. Seriously, what happens to who you are? Is what arrives at the toehr end a copy? Yes, it's made of the same atoms, but they've been disassembled and reassembled, with the software readded and rebooted, if you see what I mean. You won't feel any diferent, but in a way the old you will have evaporated to be preplaced by the reconstituted you 2.0.

So I'm with McCoy (as seen in TMP) on that one.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

One atom of C12 is fundamentally the same as any other atom of C12. "You" are just the meme that "you" think "you" are. Believe "you" are the same "you", and "you" are.
Old September 30 2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Never is a long time, and we do not know everything needed to definitive say, "yes' or "no".
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

I'm thinking that the only way I'd ever consider teleportation is if, when the duplicate "me" is manifested at the destination, the original "me" and the duplicate are linked in some perhaps quantum fashion and I have the AWARENESS of being in two places simultaneously. Then and ONLY PERHAPS then, would I consider allowing the original "me" to be dismantled. I want to know where the ESSENTIAL "me" is--the consciousness that I am presently aware of, before I'd allow "me" to be disintegrated (though my disintegration might please any number of my detractors).

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

Australis wrote: View Post
I don't think we'll see people tyransported. I think pretty much along the same lines as they did in s1 of ENT (sorry to bring it up) - that any kind of inanimate item can be transported, but noit people. Seriously, what happens to who you are? Is what arrives at the toehr end a copy? Yes, it's made of the same atoms, but they've been disassembled and reassembled, with the software readded and rebooted, if you see what I mean. You won't feel any diferent, but in a way the old you will have evaporated to be preplaced by the reconstituted you 2.0.

So I'm with McCoy (as seen in TMP) on that one.
The only flaw with that explanation is this... think of a computer... you can take it apart and put it back together somewhere else and it is the exact same computer with the exact same programming and the exact same files in it's memory. A human would be the same. all of your thoughts and memories are physically there inside your head in the form of chemicals and electric signals and pulses. If a transporter did take every molecule, atom, subatomic particle and put those exact ones back together after sending them somewhere else, it WOULD be you. There is nothing inside of you that is made of anything other than matter and energy, and if a transporter took all your matter and energy and converted it to energy and sent it somewhere and converted it back into that same matter and energy, then every bit of you will be there.

However, I am with FinalFrontier on this, the Heisenburg Uncertainly Principle says it can't happen.
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Australis
Writer

I stil think I'm right. In the last week I have taken my PC to bits restored it, rebooted it. It's the same biox, the same software, but... it's still different, behaves differently in little ways, some for better, some for worse.

Anyway, I don't tink it'll be an issue in the foreseeble future. And If I go to the stars, I'd prefer a solid dck beneath me
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 04:39 PM   #14
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

I'd prefer replication to teleportation. That way I know that the me who is me, stays me. All the other mes can go explore, while I can stay home and live off their wages.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 06:39 AM   #15
STR
Captain

Tom R.I.P. wrote: View Post

The only flaw with that explanation is this... think of a computer... you can take it apart and put it back together somewhere else and it is the exact same computer with the exact same programming and the exact same files in it's memory.
A conventional computer can be reassembled without issue, regardless of how far down you tear it apart. The kind of forces and structures one would deal with are vastly smaller than even a transistor. While not yet demonstrated (since one doesn't exist), a quantum computer would not be able to be taken apart component by component, rebuilt, and function completely the same. Heisenberg bites again.

A moot point, as we'll all be long dead and forgotten long before humanity utilizes a transporter. Even when humanity does, a rarified few will get the pleasure. The amount of energy needed to pull one body apart and another together eclipses the yield of several nuclear weapons.
STR is offline   Reply With Quote