TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 29 2009, 04:01 PM   #1
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
SyFy greenlights American Being Human

From Broadcastnow.co.uk

Being Human is to get an American makeover after Syfy greenlit a 13-part remake from RDF Media USA.

The comedy drama, about a houseshare between a vampire, a ghost and a werewolf, started life as a BBC3 broadcast pilot and was subsequently commissioned for a six-part series, produced by RDF’s Touchpaper Television. It played to critical acclaim and later won a repeat slot on BBC1.

Touchpaper managing director Rob Pursey, who executive produced the UK series, will remain as exec on the remake, working out of the US.

The commission marks the first scripted order for RDF Media USA. The company claims it is also the first US remake of a UK show made entirely by the original indie, rather than as a co-production with a US studio.

The UK version of Being Human has already aired in the US on BBC America, but the Syfy ordered a remake to take it to a bigger audience. As in the UK, it typically acquires shows and this is the channel’s first scripted order.

Chief executive Chris Coelen said the company had received interest in an American remake from a lot of US broadcast and cable networks, but that Syfy had stood out. “From the beginning, Syfy was unwavering in its pursuit of the project and had a lot of conviction about doing it.”

However, the new series will not “slavishly” copy the UK series, Syfy president Dave Howe said.
He added: “We’ve always been keen on vampires and werewolves, and we loved the originality of ‘Being Human,’ the fact that the fantastical creatures in it are very young, accessible and charming.”

Pursey said he was “chuffed” by the deal.
“It’s great not to be tied up in the pilot process,” he said.”They responded to the quality of the show. It is a tribute to all the people who worked on it.”

RDF Media USA has yet to secure a writer or cast and has not yet confirmed where in the US the series will be set.
The UK version of Being Human returns to BBC3 for a second eight-part series next year.
The pilot of the British Being Human turned out remarkably well, I didn't expect much when I first heard the premise, and then didn't like that they changed the tone of it for the series, but it got very good within a couple of episodes, so I'll be interested to see what they do with the American version.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Cky
Captain

Re: SyFy greenlights American Being Human

I was just about to post this very same thing under the title of "SyFy manage to find a way to ruin another great show." Glad I checked now, you always post it before me .

I really hate this idea. They're filming the second series of Being Human at the moment, and there is absolutely no need for an Americanized version of it. They'll completely ruin it. One of the characters will become a definate "main character" and the other two will become background cast, who once in a while do something good and unexpected.
Old October 29 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Ckdieee! wrote: View Post
I was just about to post this very same thing under the title of "SyFy manage to find a way to ruin another great show." Glad I checked now, you always post it before me .

I really hate this idea. They're filming the second series of Being Human at the moment, and there is absolutely no need for an Americanized version of it. They'll completely ruin it. One of the characters will become a definate "main character" and the other two will become background cast, who once in a while do something good and unexpected.
I can't say I disagree with you, I just kinda hope it doesn't go that way since it's being produced by the same production company.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 08:17 PM   #4
ParticleMan
Fleet Captain

My wife got me interested in Being Human through BBC America showing it earlier in the year...I have absolutely no faith in SyFy to not completely stupid it up...we'll see, but until then, I'll enjoy the real deal on BBCA...
ParticleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 01:32 AM   #5
TerriO
Writer-type human

Yeah, this bodes as well as the American Red Dwarf.
Old October 30 2009, 01:39 AM   #6
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Oh, great.

I thoroughly enjoyed Being Human... can't wait for season two.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 02:05 AM   #7
Peter the Younger
Commodore

Ah yes, the desperate Americna xeroxing of anythign remotely creative from British TV continues. Is SyFy aware that there is this network called BBC America where people can watch the original?

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 02:11 AM   #8
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

BBC America probably doesn't reach half the audience of Syfy, and they've been absolutely creatively bankrupt since Farscape.
Old October 30 2009, 03:21 AM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Whoah, that's a well worn concept there. I would prefer skiffy try something not quite so familiar. How about a civil war in space or Earth vs Mars colony war? Enough of this Earth shit, get us back out into space!

Maybe they can come up with a monsters-among-us show that's as charming as The Munsters, The Addams Family or Bewitched. But I fear a lot of corniness revolving around witch/vampire/werewolf* tropes mashed up with teenage angst tropes. Prove me wrong skiffy, though I know you won't.

*Or is it ghost/vampire/werewolf? That would be better, I'm quite pro-ghost at least till Nov 1.

BBC America probably doesn't reach half the audience of Syfy, and they've been absolutely creatively bankrupt since Farscape.
BBCA doesn't really matter one iota in the US market. It's not generally on basic cable, while skiffy usually is, for better or worse. Skiffy wouldn't give a rat's patoot what they show on BBCA and I guess they figure they have better odds at success by making their own show rather than importing the original. I can't say the concept interests me much either way.

But of course I'll watch the premiere, if only to bash it and curse skiffy all over again. It's amazing - they have absolutely nothing worth watching till Caprica premeires, and they'll probably break land speed records cancelling it.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 03:33 AM   #10
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
But I fear a lot of corniness revolving around witch/vampire/werewolf* tropes mashed up with teenage angst tropes. Prove me wrong skiffy, though I know you won't.

*Or is it ghost/vampire/werewolf? That would be better, I'm quite pro-ghost at least till Nov 1.
I don't know about the SyFy version... but there are no teenagers in the original.

And, yes, it's Ghost/Vampire/Werewolf. I had similar concerns about it being well-worn territory but the show is actually quite good (though, the vampire stuff can be a bit cliche, at times).
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 07:20 AM   #11
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=Bob the Skull;3531173]
From Broadcastnow.co.uk

However, the new series will not “slavishly” copy the UK series, Syfy president Dave Howe said.
He added: “We’ve always been keen on vampires and werewolves, and we loved the originality of ‘Being Human,’ the fact that the fantastical creatures in it are very young, accessible and charming.”
Does anyone else read a bit of this into that statement or is it just me?

Old October 30 2009, 07:32 AM   #12
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

ParticleMan wrote: View Post
My wife got me interested in Being Human through BBC America showing it earlier in the year...I have absolutely no faith in SyFy to not completely stupid it up...we'll see, but until then, I'll enjoy the real deal on BBCA...
My thoughts, exactly. I finally got really into Being Human, and ended up really liking it.

And now...........this. Bah. I do NOT have high hopes, here. I shall just keep watching BBCA and enjoy the original.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Cky
Captain

I love how he said "we love Vampires and Warewolfs". No love for ghosts then? Can already see whose going to be playing second fiddle (because they'll make George some type of strong hero, and completely forget the message he's portraying).

It's okay though, as long as there's a bad enough reaction to this, it'll go the same way as the proposed American pilot of Spaced. The gutter.
Old October 30 2009, 12:56 PM   #14
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

This will be awful so can be safely ignored as I await the second series. Only a couple of months to go IIRC.
Old October 30 2009, 03:36 PM   #15
js
Captain

I'm a big fan of the UK Being Human and I'm assuming this remake will be just another on the cheap, filmed in Vancouver show. So unless they actually do some good casting (say, Kyle Schmid as Mitchell), I won't even bother to check this out because it will pale in comparison at best and make me want to throw my TV out a window at worst.