IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 1 2009, 02:35 AM   #1
Rii
Rear Admiral

Women and the generic masculine pronoun

So, English fails in not having a gender-neutral pronoun. "They" can be pressed into service in many cases, and most sentences can be rebuilt around "one" if one doesn't mind sounding like one has a stick up one's ass, but neither are perfect solutions and "he" continues to make its presence felt in cases where its referent could be either male or female.

I notice - or at least I think I notice, I haven't exactly run any controlled tests - that when I'm reading a text that uses "she" as the generic pronoun, it tends to slow me down, at least on the first instance. I think what's happening is that I'm aware that "he" is the "standard" choice, so when I encounter "she" a part of my mind asks why and considers possible explanations: gender of the author, context, etc.

What I'm not sure of, though, is to what extent my own gender affects this. Is the reason I'm able to process "he" faster than "she" purely a product of conditioning, or does the fact that I'm male have something to do with it as well?

Hence, I'm curious about how women deal with "he".

It's entirely possible that I'm simply imagining this discrepency, as on more than a few occasions after encountering the generic "he" I've thought "man, English sucks", which probably takes up as much processing time as the negotiation of "she" does.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 02:46 AM   #2
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: Women and the generic masculine pronoun

Interesting topic. I've never thought about this, having never felt a need to mention one person without including the gender... and if I did then I would just ignore the plural nature of "they."
Old October 1 2009, 03:09 AM   #3
Rii
Rear Admiral

Mr. B wrote: View Post
Interesting topic. I've never thought about this, having never felt a need to mention one person without including the gender... and if I did then I would just ignore the plural nature of "they."
It's usually used when you're generalising to a class. Here's an example I was reading a few minutes ago which prompted this thread:

"Once the child feels safe again, she is free to play or explore the environment. The attachment figure thus becomes a safe base from which the child can explore and to whom he can periodically return for 'emotional refuelling'."

I didn't even notice the alternating pronoun until I was typing that up just now. "She" registered in my mind as something requiring consideration, however brief, whereas "he" obviously didn't.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

If I am writing I often use s/he to show that something could be referring to either sex. If I am speaking I tend to use they.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 06:32 AM   #5
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

How about the fact that is is acceptable to refer to a group of females as "guys" but a single "guy" can only be male?
Old October 1 2009, 07:25 AM   #6
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
How about the fact that is is acceptable to refer to a group of females as "guys" but a single "guy" can only be male?
Really, never knew you could refer to a group of females as 'guys'. But then again, I struggle to come up with a pronoun for females around 18-24. 'Women' makes them sound too old, yet 'girls' too young. Any suggestions?

BTW, I just say 'they' or 'one' less often when I need to use a pronoun and not specify gender.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 08:00 AM   #7
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

SilentP wrote: View Post
Really, never knew you could refer to a group of females as 'guys'. But then again, I struggle to come up with a pronoun for females around 18-24. 'Women' makes them sound too old, yet 'girls' too young. Any suggestions?

BTW, I just say 'they' or 'one' less often when I need to use a pronoun and not specify gender.
It happens all the time. Often, people will greet a group of friends (regardless of gender) with "Hey, guys!"
Old October 1 2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Rii wrote: View Post
Mr. B wrote: View Post
It's usually used when you're generalising to a class. Here's an example I was reading a few minutes ago which prompted this thread:

"Once the child feels safe again, she is free to play or explore the environment. The attachment figure thus becomes a safe base from which the child can explore and to whom he can periodically return for 'emotional refuelling'."

I didn't even notice the alternating pronoun until I was typing that up just now. "She" registered in my mind as something requiring consideration, however brief, whereas "he" obviously didn't.
Using 'she' as a generic pronoun is just feminism gone wonky. Mixing the two like that is just terrible writing. I'm not surprised reading that excerpt gave you pause!

'He' as a generic pronoun IMO works perfectly fine, and probably didn't arise as a sexist thing to exclude women, but more because it worked and gender neutral pronouns didn't happen to arise. Cries of sexism seem to be winning the day though, so here's hoping people come up with something that doesn't sound ridiculously forced. I'm not holding my breath though.

Probably simply because 'guys' rolls off the tongue better than 'gals'.
SilentP wrote: View Post
Ladies? Bitches? Hookers? Chicks? Girls is probably fine, though if there's a hardcore feminist streak amongst 'em you should probably go with women. But, it all depends on what you're going for.
Old October 1 2009, 08:39 AM   #9
TGTheodore
Writer

Depending on who might be reading what I write or post, I've come to use "s/he" a great deal.

Also, using "folks" for a mixed group seems to work fine. And they seem to like it because it's quaint enough to make them smile.

I usually use "ladies" for all-female groups of any age (little girls love it, and older women like the respect).

And I frequently use "fellas" for an all-male group.

All three words are just odd enough that they usually are liked by the people I'm using them with because they indicate a friendly and familiar tone in the way I say them.

--Ted
Old October 1 2009, 10:11 AM   #10
JuanBolio
Admiral

I had it pointed out to me a few days ago that my usage of the phrase "To each their own" (trying to stay gender neutral) is technically incorrect, since "each" is singular and "their" is plural.

What an odd language.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 10:19 AM   #11
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Language has a tendency to evolve the words it needs. In the case of the need for a gender-neutral pronoun, the word 'they' has come into use, which is perfectly appropriate, if perhaps not yet accepted in the ivory towers. The establishment always lags behind. 'He' is also acceptable, in the same sense that 'Man' or 'Mankind' is. Other invented solutions are just awkward. Alternating pronouns is inconsistent (and distracting), and 's/he' works on paper but is unpronounceable.
Old October 1 2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Here's the Wikipedia article on gender-neutral pronouns. The table of invented pronouns is a laugh riot. The one I was already familiar with, hir, is probably the least silly of the options. It's probably not going to catch on, though, as it seems to be used at this point primarily by fanfic writers who use it to refer to hermaphrodite characters.
Old October 1 2009, 10:30 AM   #13
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

That's hilarious. Equally funny is that the singular "they" has been in use since the 15th Century and yet is still being argued.
Old October 1 2009, 11:52 AM   #14
captcalhoun
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
and 's/he' works on paper but is unpronounceable.
it's pronounced 'suh-he'
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

It's pronounced 'she he' or 'he she'. Sheesh.

'They' is completely acceptable, since the plural nature is suspended in a gender neutral situation.