Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: The Destiny
Yay 61 87.14%
Nay 9 12.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6 2009, 04:29 AM   #31
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

Re: What do you think of the Destiny?

Creeping Jenee wrote: View Post
I think Rush theorized that the 'Ancients' sent it out so that at some point in the future, their progeny could leave Earth or Icarus and go to a distant part of the galaxy and explore it or populate it.
I remember hearing that but given that stargates are capable of intergalactic travel they could just as easily use a stargate from the Milky way to the new galaxy and explore it through the new network just as easily.
Old October 6 2009, 06:17 AM   #32
cylkoth
Commodore

Here's Jonny! wrote: View Post
I think Rush theorized that the 'Ancients' sent it out so that at some point in the future, their progeny could leave Earth or Icarus and go to a distant part of the galaxy and explore it or populate it.
I remember hearing that but given that stargates are capable of intergalactic travel they could just as easily use a stargate from the Milky way to the new galaxy and explore it through the new network just as easily.
Pre show information from interviews and articles explains that the these gates are the oldest of the 2 gate networks we've seen. And the Ancients did not posses the magical ZPMs when the first stargates were put into service. The Destiny was created in the period before their tech became so evolved, millions of years before Atlantis was constructed.
Old October 6 2009, 08:32 AM   #33
Arpy
Rear Admiral

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Looks like a giant "Pilgrim Cross", only without the Kilrathi.
Ha! Right on. The movie was on recently. Hadn't seen it since the theater.
Old October 6 2009, 12:25 PM   #34
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile

God Magnus wrote: View Post
I like the look of the ship. I dig how the various buildings and structures on it make it look like a flying city while its overall shape is a very traditional bird-like spaceship shape. The interior definitely conveys dread and mystery and definitely has a different feel than sets from other SG series.
"Flying city", you say? That's an interesting point. Just how big is that sucker, anyway? It seems huge! To put it in Trek terms, I'd say it's at least the length of three Enterprise-E's.
Old October 6 2009, 12:58 PM   #35
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

But, then, they wouldn't have a tv show about it, would they?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Old October 6 2009, 03:17 PM   #36
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Pre show information from interviews and articles explains that the these gates are the oldest of the 2 gate networks we've seen. And the Ancients did not posses the magical ZPMs when the first stargates were put into service. The Destiny was created in the period before their tech became so evolved, millions of years before Atlantis was constructed.
Yet they can build a ship that can remain operational for millions/hundreds of thousands of years? Plus given they expected to gate to the ship when was billions of light years away you would think that if they did not have ZPMs they would have still had the power to gate to another galaxy.
Old October 7 2009, 04:50 AM   #37
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It's interesting that even the internal parts of the ship look like messy plumbing.

Unlike Atlantis and other ships with clear circuit boards that most people on the show just rearrange.
Old October 7 2009, 10:21 PM   #38
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I think it sucks. Kind of like every alien thing this group has come up with since the original designs from the movie. That said, ugly spaceships is the least of my worries when it comes to this show.
Old October 8 2009, 09:36 AM   #39
broberfett
Vice Admiral

It looks interesting when you first see it. I just hope that parts of the ship are unique. I don't want the same damn hallways and rooms over and over like on Atlantis. Even if they have to have virtual rooms using green screen I want to see more unique aspects than the couple rooms they can build on their low budget.

I also hope they have a little action. I'm worried they'll travel around gathering minerals, water, and food and that will be it. The drama will come from them BSGing their way through space. They'll fight with each other constantly and spend most of their time crying. That will be great for BSG fans, but not for me.
Old October 8 2009, 10:13 AM   #40
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Not sure what to vote on the external design yet, but my opinion has improved over what I saw of it as a grainy image from the promo video
Old October 8 2009, 06:59 PM   #41
Agent Richard07
Retired

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
Anybody notice what appeared to be a sizable secondary vessel on the topside? It's visible on the dorsal side in the opening shot. At first I thought it was one of the shuttles, but it's shaped differently, and definitely seems larger. (thoughts of the Captain's Yacht spring to mind.)
I noticed it when I watched the beginning again last night.

Old October 8 2009, 07:02 PM   #42
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I just thought that was one of the shuttles

Looking at those pics it looks like there is a gun turret on the ship

I also like the fact that it looks like they won't be beaming everywhere, instead using shuttles, so no last minute saves by beaming out

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old October 8 2009, 08:42 PM   #43
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
I also like the fact that it looks like they won't be beaming everywhere, instead using shuttles, so no last minute saves by beaming out
Beaming was always an Asgard thing, not an Ancient thing. (unless the Atlantis elevators somehow beamed around)
Old October 8 2009, 08:49 PM   #44
broberfett
Vice Admiral

I just thought that was one of the shuttles

Looking at those pics it looks like there is a gun turret on the ship

Is that the shuttle that the senator dies in? Maybe it is the only shuttle.

Edit: I was just rewatching that part and they said that there are two shuttles attached to docking sleaves.

Last edited by broberfett; October 8 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old October 8 2009, 09:25 PM   #45
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Corran Horrrrrrrrible wrote: View Post
Beaming was always an Asgard thing, not an Ancient thing. (unless the Atlantis elevators somehow beamed around)
The Ancients had beaming, heck, they invented beaming. The ring transporters are an Ancient invention, which the Goa'uld stole. Also, in the beginning of Season 9 we find those Ancient treasures under ground, and our team is beamed (with a yellow color effect, Ancient transporters) to another chamber. Also, the transporter rooms in Atlantis are an instant beaming technology, which shares a sound similar to the ring transporters. So yes, Ancients had beaming.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us