RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,920
Posts: 5,331,601
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 663
Newest member: GarySe7en

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old September 17 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

Sounds crazy, but the more I look into it, seems that the powers that be made SGU to make up for the mistakes they made with SGA.

Originally the idea with SGA was to have this expedition in a foreign part of the universe with no way to reach home. The show was suppose to be more edgier than SG1. That failed in many ways.

So what happened? they were out of contact of Earth for just one season, then, not only were they able to communicate with Earth. but get back and forth and even have a few Earth based adventures (since SG1 was now out of the way) . The tone of the series was pretty light with wise cracking Shepard and goofy McKay. The show became rather Star Trek'ish. They also lost alot of there main cast with the replacements (Carter, Woosly, Keller) not being as good as who they replaced. the show lost its way..

At this point ,TPTB said screw it, we will scrap the show and do it in the way we originaly wanted it. This time we will go further out into the Universe and be on a ship rather than a City ship and we will try to maintain a darker tone and be more like BSG.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Sean Young & many more - Coming 2014 - www.startrekrenegades.com
https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries
Tom is offline  
Old September 17 2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Kirby
Rear Admiral
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Location: Alt: 5280
View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

That's certainly a good theory, but it sounds like that ship has regular contact with Earth from the beginning, and somehow they can have visitors from Earth.
__________________
Henderson!!!!
Kirby is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 01:55 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

^^
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 03:40 AM   #4
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

Wife swap too?? LOL!
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Sean Young & many more - Coming 2014 - www.startrekrenegades.com
https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries
Tom is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
^^
That's good as it is an already established Stargate technology.

Atlantis failed by trying to be SG1 in another galaxy.

Unfortunately, SGU seems to be BSG in another universe.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 05:36 AM   #6
cylkoth
Commodore
 
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

Kirby wrote: View Post
That's certainly a good theory, but it sounds like that ship has regular contact with Earth from the beginning, and somehow they can have visitors from Earth.
In other words, it IS a reboot of Atlantis, done in Galactica style. Everything ATL should have done, but didn't, due to the studio and network exesc wanting SG1 jr.

Stargate Universe follows the adventures of a present-day, multinational exploration team on board the Ancient spaceship Destiny. Transported to Destiny in a distant corner of the universe and unable to return to Earth, members of the team are forced to remain on the vessel and fend for themselves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Universe (note-spoilers present, be careful reading the page)

Stargate Atlantis
follows the adventures of a present-day, multinational exploration team on board the Ancient cityship Atlantis. Transported to Atlantis in a distant corner of the universe and unable to return to Earth, members of the team are forced to remain in the city and fend for themselves.

__________________
Have spacesuit...will travel.
cylkoth is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 06:25 AM   #7
Morpheus 02
Commodore
 
Location: Chicago IL
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

They'll succeed if they actually improve on mistakes in the past...

DS9 did it with Jake Sisko being an improvement on Wesley (i.e. actually being a child when he started, actually acting like a teenage male, having a REAL relationship with his parent)

Atlantis failed by not having arcs for each of their characters....i mentioned it in another ancient (pun intended) thread, but Lt. Ford SHOULD have been a Stargate "vet" (the way he was comfortable diving into the gate, while Sheppard looked scared), and could have balanced that out with Sheppard being the CO.

Teyla and then Ronan should have had some development, and especially Teyla needing definition of her character (was she like Teal'C or Neelix or what?).

Hopefully, we'll have it for the characters...
__________________
Morpheus 02
a.k.a.
JP Paulus jp [at] paulus . com
Morpheus 02 is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 10:58 AM   #8
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
That's certainly a good theory, but it sounds like that ship has regular contact with Earth from the beginning, and somehow they can have visitors from Earth.
In other words, it IS a reboot of Atlantis, done in Galactica style. Everything ATL should have done, but didn't, due to the studio and network exesc wanting SG1 jr.

Stargate Universe follows the adventures of a present-day, multinational exploration team on board the Ancient spaceship Destiny. Transported to Destiny in a distant corner of the universe and unable to return to Earth, members of the team are forced to remain on the vessel and fend for themselves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Universe (note-spoilers present, be careful reading the page)

Stargate Atlantis follows the adventures of a present-day, multinational exploration team on board the Ancient cityship Atlantis. Transported to Atlantis in a distant corner of the universe and unable to return to Earth, members of the team are forced to remain in the city and fend for themselves.

Except that, they inteded to go to Altantis and the team was well prepared, that's not the case here. And they're following a different mission as well. I think the comparisons are only skin deep so to speak.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

The team wasn't well prepared to land in the middle of a galactic warzone against space vampires, onto a city where most things didn't work, and to have their military commander be killed and replaced by Shep, who had no Gate experience and barely knew about the program.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Islander
Commodore
 
Islander's Avatar
 
Location: In a remote corner of your sick mind
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

Atlantis wasn't about having no way home, just no guaranties but they knew exactly where it was and they knew that all they needed was a ZPM. The overall lighter feel of the show was planned from the beginning with the choice of charaters like McKay and Beckett providing comical relief.

Universe seems truly no way home, with indeed a much darker theme with people dying left and right and conspiracy. I guess the recent commercial success of BSG is indeed responsible for this new direction.
__________________
"I kept the Vulcan and married the woman, 'cause I didn't think Leonard would have it the other way around."
-Gene Roddenberry
Islander is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 08:11 PM   #11
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

Islander wrote: View Post

Universe seems truly no way home, with indeed a much darker theme with people dying left and right and conspiracy. I guess the recent commercial success of BSG is indeed responsible for this new direction.
Problem is that in the Stargate universe, anything can happen, so the sense that they will never get home won't be there .

Look at SG1, they start by going to new worlds then they all but defeat the Gould then Ori and 9 years after the begining have uber powerful ships that can travel between galaxies (heck Star Trek can't even do that). There is was a massive leap of what we could not do to what they can now in there.

So to say they are stuck on a ship across the universe with no way home does not feel real. Who knows what technology they will find to get them back.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Sean Young & many more - Coming 2014 - www.startrekrenegades.com
https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries
Tom is offline  
Old September 18 2009, 11:39 PM   #12
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

Harvey wrote: View Post
The team wasn't well prepared to land in the middle of a galactic warzone against space vampires, onto a city where most things didn't work, and to have their military commander be killed and replaced by Shep, who had no Gate experience and barely knew about the program.
There no current war until Shep woke up the wraith and they were part of the military and expected to expect the unexpected. And for that matter it was Shep who killed their military commander and the only reason why Shep went was because he had the ancient gene. Half of whatever went was his fault in the first place and McKay didn't help matters.

Still I think we're looking at a different situation here, Rush has own agenda and there's plenty of conflict between the millitary and civilian groups.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline  
Old September 19 2009, 01:22 AM   #13
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

DWF wrote: View Post

There no current war until Shep woke up the wraith and they were part of the military and expected to expect the unexpected. And for that matter it was Shep who killed their military commander and the only reason why Shep went was because he had the ancient gene. Half of whatever went was his fault in the first place and McKay didn't help matters.
This has me thinking, they should have done an alternate reality episode where we see Atlantis without Sheppard ever having arrived. After all, had he not found Teyla's locket, activated it with his Ancient gene, the Wraith would never have gone to Athos, and the events which led to their awakening would not have occurred.

It could have been interesting.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline  
Old September 19 2009, 02:40 AM   #14
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post

There no current war until Shep woke up the wraith and they were part of the military and expected to expect the unexpected. And for that matter it was Shep who killed their military commander and the only reason why Shep went was because he had the ancient gene. Half of whatever went was his fault in the first place and McKay didn't help matters.
This has me thinking, they should have done an alternate reality episode where we see Atlantis without Sheppard ever having arrived. After all, had he not found Teyla's locket, activated it with his Ancient gene, the Wraith would never have gone to Athos, and the events which led to their awakening would not have occurred.

It could have been interesting.
They did in Vegas, but we only saw things from that Sheppard's point of view.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline  
Old September 20 2009, 01:26 AM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Is Universe a Reboot of Atlantis?

DWF wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post

There no current war until Shep woke up the wraith and they were part of the military and expected to expect the unexpected. And for that matter it was Shep who killed their military commander and the only reason why Shep went was because he had the ancient gene. Half of whatever went was his fault in the first place and McKay didn't help matters.
This has me thinking, they should have done an alternate reality episode where we see Atlantis without Sheppard ever having arrived. After all, had he not found Teyla's locket, activated it with his Ancient gene, the Wraith would never have gone to Athos, and the events which led to their awakening would not have occurred.

It could have been interesting.
They did in Vegas, but we only saw things from that Sheppard's point of view.
Indeed, I was thinking about that. Who knows, maybe Sumner was still alive and in command at Atlantis.

Of course, at least as far as Vegas was concerned it would seem even without Sheppard around the Atlantis team still awoke the Wraith.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.