Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: Grade Air Part 1 and Air Part 2 – 2 Hour Premier
9 Chevrons – Out of this Universe (A+) 15 8.72%
8 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies 55 31.98%
7 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy 54 31.40%
6 Chevrons – Within our Solar System 16 9.30%
5 Chevrons – Haven’t got past Earth (Average) 10 5.81%
4 Chevrons – No flying machines at all 10 5.81%
3 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial 6 3.49%
2 Chevrons – Dark Ages 3 1.74%
1 Chevron – Throwing rocks and stones here 1 0.58%
Cannot Establish Lock – Doesn’t even exist (F) 2 1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 3 2009, 11:23 AM   #316
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: SG-U – Air I and II (1x01/02) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

In response to Yoda, to each his own, but I thought Teyla was hot. I also thought Jewel Staite and Amanda Tapping were nice looking as well. The females on SGU look fine too me. I like that the Senator's daughter doesn't look airbrushed. She looks like she would actually be a staffperson on Capitol Hill.

In response to Firehawk, when I heard about Greer's description, it did give me pause. Not necessarily because Greer was bad, but because I thought the writers were sticking the black character back into the warrior/noble savage type role. Not to mention the angry black man characterization. Aren't there any black scientists, medics, commanding officers, or politicians, IOA (?) officials perhaps? In Stargate, I feel that blacks have often been used for the muscle.

But I disgress. I enjoyed SGU far more than I thought I would. I liked Rush. He's a complex character, very driven, very egotistical, but I don't think he's full on evil. There's a core of humanity there. He's sort of like Rodney unleashed, perhaps not braying as much about his accomplishments but without Rodney's sense of ethics or teamplay.

I really thought that Chloe and Eli, reading their character descriptions, would get on my nerves. Neither did. I'm glad they made Eli more sympathetic due to the situation with his mom, and I thought O'Neill's asides to Eli made him come off as a bit of a jerk, even before they revealed the situation with his mom. Chloe came off as far more real and competent than I thought the character would be. I also like her friendship with Eli, but from the previews I know she'll be gravitating towards Scott.

I liked Scott too. I like how he's in over his head and he knows it. He's not the snarky kind of guy like O'Neill or Shepherd. Young works as a more senior, grizzled commanding officer too. I'm reserving judgment on Greer. I think the actor, Jamil Smith, played the role well, but I'm curious to see what they plan to do with him. I also liked Tamara, but we didn't get too see a lot of Ming Na's character Camille(?), and I've got a bad feeling she's going to have an unfortunate run in with Greer before too long.

The two-hour opener was effective. It didn't feel like Stargate, but at the same time they did a good job weaving in O'Neill, Carter, and Daniel. I wish they had thrown in an Atlantis character, Rodney perhaps for some of those tapes Eli was reviewing. I'm really curious to see where this show is going. Was it the Gou'ld (sp) that attacked the planet base? I thought those where Gou'ld ships? I'm also curious to see how long they will spend on internal conflict before they introduce new aliens and adversaries.
Old October 3 2009, 02:08 PM   #317
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Yoda wrote: View Post

She was decent looking at the beginning, but they didn't do much to bring out her sex appeal, and her haircuts were atrocious.
Except for the beginning of Season 4, of course.
Old October 3 2009, 02:10 PM   #318
rafterman1701
Commodore

Really, really liked this. It still fit the universe, but the way it was shot and the tone made it seem so much more mature and realistic than the previous two series. Really liked it. It's kind of amazing to see how the franchise has evolved over time, both in the writing and in the production values. This feels way more cinematic than the franchise has ever felt. Just compare this pilot to Children of the Gods. Times have changed a lot.
Old October 3 2009, 02:36 PM   #319
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I really enjoyed it, 8 out of 10. I had a lot of preconceived notions going in about some of the characters, especially thinking that Eli would be a McKay clone, but thankfully they didn't go there. I quite like all of these characters, but I think they're giving Scott too much to do, unless he's supposed to be the lead character.
Great visual effects, solid acting, and the story kept me engaged for the full two hours.
Old October 3 2009, 02:58 PM   #320
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

this show needs a charater who will laugh in the face of danger....even when it's REALLY inappropriate to do so
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Old October 3 2009, 04:02 PM   #321
Quantum
Captain

RichMerk wrote: View Post
broberfett wrote: View Post
I think the medic and the Senator's daughter were supposed to suffice for hot chicks.
Agreed. Neither does anything for me though. Just my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary.
I thought the Medic and the Senator's Daughter looked good.
Old October 3 2009, 04:03 PM   #322
Taran'atar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Brent wrote: View Post
broberfett wrote: View Post
I feel like the Senator's death was unnecessary. The new "Last Starfighter" and the Ravenous guy both read a good bit of ancient. They are on a spaceship. Does the ship have spacesuits? They didn't even check. They didn't try to trigger the button with the Kino. They didn't try to physically barricade the opening. They just decided someone would die.

I am also amazed that they didn't grab the damn stone communication device right then and there when that dirty bastard announced himself to be the leader. They could have sent someone back that was a little more trustworthy, maybe a couple people. Do the stones burn out after each use? We don't know and none of the military guys were curious enough to check it out. I guess they are supposed to be dumb and trusting.
Watching the episode again, there was no way the Kino could have pushed the button, it was recessed.

The stones don't burn out. I agree that someone should have grabbed his bag, have two other military guys grab him, and go check out for themselves by contacting Earth. If they were going for drama and realism, that would be it.

They didn't have time to barricade the door, and no welding equipment.
Actually they did try to hold open the door. The Medic told it to the injured Military Leader (Everett ?). She told him that the door just opened up again, like an elevator door.
Old October 3 2009, 04:09 PM   #323
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

The Senator was dead anyway, between his internal injuries and his heart condition he was in pretty bad shape. He knew he was dying and at least he could go out doing something useful.
Old October 3 2009, 04:11 PM   #324
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I enjoyed the first part but started to lose interest during part 2.
Hope part 3 is better.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Old October 3 2009, 04:32 PM   #325
Quantum
Captain

What kind of PHD is that doctor?
Old October 3 2009, 04:39 PM   #326
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
The chick that Channing Tatum was banging was a little nasty though.
She looks quite different in these pics...

Old October 3 2009, 04:49 PM   #327
Quantum
Captain

Why no Teal'c Cameo?
Old October 3 2009, 05:07 PM   #328
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Quantum wrote: View Post
Why no Teal'c Cameo?
Why would he be around?

Also no aliens in the first 2 hours... impressive.....
Old October 3 2009, 06:17 PM   #329
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post

In response to Firehawk, when I heard about Greer's description, it did give me pause. Not necessarily because Greer was bad, but because I thought the writers were sticking the black character back into the warrior/noble savage type role. Not to mention the angry black man characterization. Aren't there any black scientists, medics, commanding officers, or politicians, IOA (?) officials perhaps? In Stargate, I feel that blacks have often been used for the muscle.
Yeah. Maybe it's a Vancouver thing and there aren't many black actors to play "background scientist #4". Heck, only reason I'm sort of excited about Ming Na on the show is because it's the first time a "real" Asian character is being written.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old October 3 2009, 06:57 PM   #330
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Excellent

An awesome episode.